U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2008, 02:11 AM

45 posts, read 120,413 times

Advertisements

I'm a single male in my late 20s. I've been living in the suburbs of NJ for many years. I'm also living at home with my parents and I really need to move out now. I have never lived away from home except for college. I'm taking a few classes for fun in NYC and I'm tired of commuting there after working in NJ all day. I was thinking about moving to NYC since it is really difficult to meet new people in my area and at my current job.

I am concerned about not being able to afford living in NYC. If I transferred my current IT job to NYC, I would only be making around $75,000/yr. I also really would like to get a complete fresh start on life and get a brand new job. I am a bit scared to live with roommates because I am paranoid that my stuff will get stolen or we will hate each other. When people tell me to move in with a friend, I keep thinking that living with that friend is going to destroy the friendship.

Given that situation, here are some questions. Please answer a few or all of them if possible:

1) Can I afford to live in Manhattan in NYC on only $75,000/yr?
2) If not, what areas can I live in that are safe and how much is it generally for rent?
3) Should I find a place of my own or find roommates?
4) How can you find trustworthy roommates that won't steal your stuff?
5) Is it possible to get any sleep it night in NYC or is it always noisy?
6) What do I need to know about having a car in the city?
7) How can I build a new social circle in NYC?
8) What other expenses will I be having besides rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 05:36 AM

12,120 posts, read 28,451,575 times
2) If not, what areas can I live in that are safe and how much is it generally for rent?

**1) I don't even make what you make and I survive
2) I live in north central Riverdale and I pay $850 for a studio apt
3) I've always lived on my own. I can't deal with roomates
4) Not an issue for me since i live alone. You can always do a criminal conviction search on a potential roomate but it will cost you
5) I've lived on the 6th floor in a quiet area. never a problem
6) Insurance is higher, much higher, likelihood of a parking ticket is higher, likelihood of vandalism and theft are higher(I was broken into twice and vandalized a few times), more parking nicks and scratches if you don't garage the car
7) I'm somewhat of a loner type and workaholic so I'm not the best person to advise you
8) Car insurance, gas and electric if not incl in rent, medical co pays(if applicable), possible renters insurance premiums, food, social expenses, cable, internet, cell, laundry, credit cards, etc

Old 01-24-2008, 05:40 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,456,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHippo View Post
I'm a single male in my late 20s. I've been living in the suburbs of NJ for many years. I'm also living at home with my parents and I really need to move out now. I have never lived away from home except for college. I'm taking a few classes for fun in NYC and I'm tired of commuting there after working in NJ all day. I was thinking about moving to NYC since it is really difficult to meet new people in my area and at my current job.

I am concerned about not being able to afford living in NYC. If I transferred my current IT job to NYC, I would only be making around $75,000/yr. I also really would like to get a complete fresh start on life and get a brand new job. I am a bit scared to live with roommates because I am paranoid that my stuff will get stolen or we will hate each other. When people tell me to move in with a friend, I keep thinking that living with that friend is going to destroy the friendship.

Given that situation, here are some questions. Please answer a few or all of them if possible:

1) You can afford to live in NYC on $75000 gross/year. You'll have a small apartment, but you can do it.
2) Check on this board for rents/areas. Manhattan might not be the place for you, but there are many other fine areas in which to live.
3) I would recommend having roommates, at least in the beginning.
4) I never had a roommate after college, so I don't know about that. I do, by the way, think you're overreacting to your fear of felonious roommates. They'd probably have the same doubts about you.
5) Of course it's very easy to sleep at night. Unless you live over a nightclub, there should be no problem.
6) I can't say this emphatically enough: DUMP THE CAR. You won't be able to afford living in NYC on that salary WITH a car. I reiterate: DUMP THE CAR.
7) You build a new social circle in NYC the same way you would anywhere. And roommates help with that.
8) What other expenses? Oh, boy! Phone, internet, cable TV, utilities, food, clothing, medical/dental insurance, transportation, dry cleaning, laundry, cleaning supplies, taxes (don't forget taxes!)...the list is a long one and this is only a partial list.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:25 AM

82 posts, read 520,984 times
Get a roommate. Not only is it a great way to build your social circle but it's a great way to save on rent! $75,000 a year is enough to survive. Just be smart about it and stick to a budget...and be realistic.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:26 AM

757 posts, read 3,063,560 times
Default Sleeping

I've always been a very sound sleeper. I live on the second floor in a lively area over an avenue and half a block from bus stops serving three routes. It's not so much a matter of not being able to sleep, but after a few weeks (and I'm in this location over 30 years now) I found that I block out even the sound of my clock-radio alarm set at top volume.

Fortunately, neighbors (bless them) have been indulgent.

You should be able to find a nice spot in a decent neighborhood, maybe even in Manhattan. A bunch of newly renovated 1 BRs in a prime Manhattan area (10023, 20th Precinct) were recently on the market for about $3,000/mo. None left now, but they were available about 6-8 months ago.

You'll meet people. Don't worry. Through work, around your neighborhood. Join a gym. If you like dogs, adopt one and find an informal playgroup in a nearby park. Haven't you become friendly with some people in your classes? Someone I knew had similar worries before moving from one coast to another. I told her she'd bond with the moms in her Lamaze classes, some of whom would naturally remain her friends, since they had kids the same age. I guess you're not in that situation, though.

Last edited by Carbro; 01-25-2008 at 01:35 AM..

Old 01-25-2008, 05:14 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,456,327 times
PLEASE, wherever you live: if you want a dog make sure your apartment building allows them. I work in dog rescue and apartments not permitting dogs are a prime reason for people surrendering animals.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:12 AM

19,434 posts, read 34,496,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHippo View Post
1. yes but you'll live in a shoebox apartment. bklyn and queens are more affordable and if you look hard enough you can find a nice size 1 bdrm.
2. see #1.
3. that's up to your personal preference.
4. just have a lock on your bedroom door, and buy a small fridge for personal items and keep that in your room too.
5. depends on the neighborhood...more densely populated neighborhoods tend to have more noise.
6. insurance costs and alternate side of the street parking for sanitation cleaning, more info can be found on www.nyc.gov
7. most people that aren't from NYC and move here make friends at work. or you can join 1 of those groups that organize weekly events for people with the same interests, but i find those to be pretty lame. you may like it tho.
8. you may have to pay utilites (gas, electric). if you want cable and internet and a land line you're paying for that. if you want renters insurance, you're also paying for that. you gotta eat, you want to hang out every once in a while and you probably have a cell phone bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City