Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 10:11 AM

983 posts, read 932,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I'm sorry I forgot to add an asterisk with a footnote:

* does not apply to anyone majoring in "philosophy" or "english lit", in which case your $80K in tuition will be a valuable investment in a life of pizza delivery and vegan restaurant bartending
I doubled majored in chemistry and applied math from a good school (stony brook), did research, had an internship, decent GPA, zero job offers in either of those fields for 14 months. I eventually went to grad school because I got funded for it, but no jobs, not even an interview, except those marketing/sales jobs they give to everybody with any degree with the expectation that they will quit within a couple of months.

When the hell did you graduate? Probably at least 20 years ago if you think that it's ONLY people with useless majors who are having trouble...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 12:05 PM

738 posts, read 585,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Ummm, apparently he didn't. He has no work as of today.

I can read very well. You don't ask people for money, but you certainly don't turn it down when given to you and then you turn around and use it to buy booze. Furthermore, you stated that you have a job, but have no work today, so that means you don't have a steady job. Did I miss anything else?
It's not full time, unfortunately. I'd love a full time job and I'm still looking.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
"Yes, well. I see lots of people begging. I'm not one of them.

Once, I sat at 5th/42 St. holding a sign that said "Homeless! Hungry! Sitting on my ass doing absolutely NOTHING! If you give me a dime, you're NUTS!"

Some kind lady gave me 2 bucks, which I promptly spent on cheap vodka. Guess she did'nt read the whole thing.

People are kind, they give me stuff all the time. Food, cigarettes, sometimes money. I never ask for anything, not even the time of day if I can help it."

Putting up a SIGN is ASKING for money. He knows that by putting up a sign and sitting down or standing around he is going to attract someone to give him money.
I didn't expect anything. The whole thing was a joke cause when I need a break from picking up cans, I sit down. She just did not read the sign. I asked for nothing.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:21 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I'm sorry I forgot to add an asterisk with a footnote:

* does not apply to anyone majoring in "philosophy" or "english lit", in which case your $80K in tuition will be a valuable investment in a life of pizza delivery and vegan restaurant bartending
Not true at all, though I see how it can look that way. The humanities degrees aren't meant for people to just get a degree in humanities and then quit. To find work in those fields, you have to get a masters, phd, or you go to law school. Or maybe get a MBA. Most of our top politicians have undergraduate majors in literature, history, or philosophy, then they went to top law schools and here they are.

Of course many English literature people teach English k-12, work in ADVERTISING, do various other kinds of writing or creative work, or become professors.

On a rock bottom basis any humanities major can get some office/secretarial job (which still pays better than bartending or pizza delivery).

Old 10-28-2016, 12:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
I doubled majored in chemistry and applied math from a good school (stony brook), did research, had an internship, decent GPA, zero job offers in either of those fields for 14 months. I eventually went to grad school because I got funded for it, but no jobs, not even an interview, except those marketing/sales jobs they give to everybody with any degree with the expectation that they will quit within a couple of months.

When the hell did you graduate? Probably at least 20 years ago if you think that it's ONLY people with useless majors who are having trouble...
Did you graduate from grad school? With what degree? And what did you study in grad school? You just mention your undergraduate major.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Stony Brook. I went there. A hard school, but not a good school.

I majored in chemistry too. Chemistry's been off shored to Third World pest holes with no environmental regs to speak of. I used to make a very good living doing pollution control chemistry, but they don't care about that in China or India.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:38 PM

983 posts, read 932,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Did you graduate from grad school? With what degree? And what did you study in grad school? You just mention your undergraduate major.
Two BS's, I'm in a PhD program for computational chemistry now. Above poster is right about a lot of chemistry being shipped off which is why I'm in a computational chem lab where I am learning a lot of mathematica/data/coding/etc skills that I will probably take to a bank/financial job later

Old 10-30-2016, 10:07 AM

371 posts, read 526,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
People just don't want to work but that's good for those that do. Less competition
not really, I want to work, but I constantly seem to get the worst managers who are micromanaging jerks.

One guy was divorced and had to pay for his ex-wife's Greenwich Village apt where their two kids left and then had another kid over 40 with his new wife. He gave everyone poor reviews, well anyone who displayed promise as he wanted to make sure that no one would replace him.

unfortunately, some industries where jobs are moving overseas and have super aggressive people, like the financial industry suffer those issues.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:21 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
People just don't want to work but that's good for those that do. Less competition
Good for those working suckers. Let them break their backs so they can help pay for all the social programs the city has created to help the ones that don't work.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:06 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
Stony Brook. I went there. A hard school, but not a good school.

I majored in chemistry too. Chemistry's been off shored to Third World pest holes with no environmental regs to speak of. I used to make a very good living doing pollution control chemistry, but they don't care about that in China or India.
Quote:
Two BS's, I'm in a PhD program for computational chemistry now. Above poster is right about a lot of chemistry being shipped off which is why I'm in a computational chem lab where I am learning a lot of mathematica/data/coding/etc skills that I will probably take to a bank/financial job later
The Chemical industry isn't in the Northeast.

My brother works for one of the top 3 largest global chemical companies and they have a research lab in NY. You can probably guess which one it is. The only reason they opened a lab in NY was because they acquired a small company which was headquartered there and they didn't want to lay off all of their staff. Eventually they did and replaced them with my brothers group.

I've spoken to him about this a number of times and if he were to need/want to find another job, he'd have to look outside of the Northeast. All of their other units are either in CA or the Southeast.

Look at where the major US chemical companies are headquartered. It's certainly not in the Northeast. If someone wants a job in Finance, they can't be looking in Nashville, Tennessee.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 10-30-2016 at 12:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City