Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 07:03 PM

33,421 posts, read 46,851,577 times

Advertisements

TWC sucks....their cable boxes stopped working numerous times in my house and I've had to exchange several of them....I got the biggest package Fios has to offer and I pay $200 for cable, internet and phone.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 08:30 PM

92 posts, read 229,848 times
I had both FIOS and TWC and FIOS is definitely better.

It was faster, more channels, and I didn't get internet service outages I got with TWC. Don't fall for the + 150 mbps /75 mbps packages/scams with FIOS however.

You won't see speed anywhere near that, especially if you are on WiFi like most people. 15/25 mbps is plenty for most people needs.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:31 AM

50 posts, read 90,364 times
I called Verizon for a quote and they are expensive!

Preferred TV (for one TV), phone and 50/50 internet came up to $136...to me that's a lot!

I tried asking if they could price match TWC but they said that the services are not comparable.

TWC is $90 vs. FIOS $136...big difference. I know TWC is inferior but is it that bad? I'm going to try FIOS again and see if they will lower the price.

Anyone has pointers?

Old 07-31-2015, 07:16 AM

782 posts, read 852,553 times
I had TWC last year when it was the only choice in my old neighborhood. In that year, I had no real problems. If you're just using your internet to stream TV or other regular tasks, I see no reason why you'd have a problem. I don't recall a single outage, internet or TV.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:48 AM

25,345 posts, read 36,873,455 times
I say go FIOS. I have true 25/25 internet, phone, DVR 500Gigs and STB for bedroom, HBO and SHOWTIME...Cost is about $150+/month and I think out of my comfort zone at over $1800/year but service is sterling. And then another $18/month for Netflix...best money I ever spend every month.

Thing about the Time Warner offers: Once you put in your zipcode, the super-deals automatically disappear and they bombard you with equipment extra charges, all ala carte. I know, I have tried to get a better price to switch to Time Warner but I cannot find one.
Don't believe the $89 promo ads, you won't get that no matter HOW hard you haggle.

Just go FIOS. If they give you a good promo offer, sign a 2 year contract and lock it in. You will see this price only ONCE and you might as well take it as long as possible. (I wish I'd have been able to sign a 10 year contract at my promo price.)

Old 07-31-2015, 08:03 AM

555 posts, read 612,718 times
TWC is fine, but buy your own modem or else they will charge you $8-9 a month to "rent" a modem that you can buy for $25...lol. Also make sure you don't pay for their wireless service as you can set that up yourself with your new modem very easily.

My parents unknowingly paid about $300 in modem rental fees for 3 years before I purchased them a much better modem for $25.

I rarely have outages with TWC and internet is very fast. Fios not available here but even if it were I'm not sure I'd get it as its very expensive.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:36 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,170,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueheartofgold View Post
I called Verizon for a quote and they are expensive!

Preferred TV (for one TV), phone and 50/50 internet came up to $136...to me that's a lot!

I tried asking if they could price match TWC but they said that the services are not comparable.

TWC is $90 vs. FIOS $136...big difference. I know TWC is inferior but is it that bad? I'm going to try FIOS again and see if they will lower the price.

Anyone has pointers?
Not a big difference money wise when you consider FIOS is much much better. To me it would be worth it for FIOS just for the internet alone. By the way TWC and Cablevision will both raise rate on you after a year or so.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:57 AM

25,345 posts, read 36,873,455 times
Quote:

Fios not available here but even if it were I'm not sure I'd get it as its
very expensive.
I have priced them head to head (apples to apples) over and over again and TW has NEVER come out cheaper.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Not a big difference money wise when you consider FIOS is much much better. To me it would be worth it for FIOS just for the internet alone. By the way TWC and Cablevision will both raise rate on you after a year or so.
You're right...cable will go up after...I had cable vision from 2010-2015 and it actually started at $90 for the triple play. Now after the 12 months, ridiculous increases and sketchy service. Their internet is horrible. TV service slow and freezing.

I did a quote online for TWC and with the fees etc, it's $110 before tax...so I'm guessing it would be around the same.

I'll try FIOS again and whine a little 😂😂

Old 07-31-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
TWC is fine, but buy your own modem or else they will charge you $8-9 a month to "rent" a modem that you can buy for $25...lol. Also make sure you don't pay for their wireless service as you can set that up yourself with your new modem very easily.

My parents unknowingly paid about $300 in modem rental fees for 3 years before I purchased them a much better modem for $25.

I rarely have outages with TWC and internet is very fast. Fios not available here but even if it were I'm not sure I'd get it as its very expensive.
Do you know if FIOS uses a modem? They do charge a fee so I'm guessing they do. I wonder if I can get my own.

Also, what make/model did you get for your TWC modem? They have a list of compatible modems but when I checked online, they're nowhere near $25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: