Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 01:36 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,379,665 times

Advertisements

Dear Jazz, a professional in what????????? In ANY STATE it is important to know what kind of work you are doing, so you can get to your resources as fast as possible. There are multitudes of areas in the greater five burros that could reach $2000. Again you could find a place in NJ or LI and use the express bus if you do not mind that.

I would research the taxes, and then decide if commuting or being smack dab in the middle of your work is reasonable.

Example: You have an husband and wife who are college professors. They pay less then $400 ( probably $900 by now ) for there apartment inside of another state. They make an very big salary together. Again another couple lives in the suburbs. The husband is an marketing ( lucky ) person while the wife works at the local college. Another example is how an woman and husband both work in lower-income areas but have an high pay rate. The

Again what are you an "professional in". 2000 a month sounds like an basic level entry job for an associates or bachelors degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 05:11 PM

31,753 posts, read 26,706,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
Dear Jazz, a professional in what????????? In ANY STATE it is important to know what kind of work you are doing, so you can get to your resources as fast as possible. There are multitudes of areas in the greater five burros that could reach $2000. Again you could find a place in NJ or LI and use the express bus if you do not mind that.

I would research the taxes, and then decide if commuting or being smack dab in the middle of your work is reasonable.

Example: You have an husband and wife who are college professors. They pay less then $400 ( probably $900 by now ) for there apartment inside of another state. They make an very big salary together. Again another couple lives in the suburbs. The husband is an marketing ( lucky ) person while the wife works at the local college. Another example is how an woman and husband both work in lower-income areas but have an high pay rate. The

Again what are you an "professional in". 2000 a month sounds like an basic level entry job for an associates or bachelors degree.

Why the **** do you people get so wound up about what exactly this person's "profession" or employment? It does not matter if the OP is a physician or professional surfer; he or she *HAS* employment already lined up and thus knows his yearly income.

Like most algebraic word problems the word "profession" in this case is an bit of extraneous information that has zero to do with a correct answer.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:24 PM

11 posts, read 9,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post

You are hilarious and OBVIOUSLY cannot read. I said my budget for RENT is 2K. I would be salaried 80K which I KNOW will be around 50K after taxes, which is about 4-5K a month! And yes, I am a professional, I work in banking and have a bachelors degree. I JUST graduated. I am not deserving of a 6 figure salary yet. I do NOT feel the need to tell you every detail about my job or profession, there are creeps on the internet.

Last edited by JJAZZD; 08-01-2015 at 05:32 PM..

Old 08-01-2015, 05:31 PM

For those who CANNOT read

1. I KNOW that after taxes my 80K salary will be around 50K, and I KNOW that I will be bringing home around 4K a month
2. My BUDGET for rent is 2K, I will be bringing home more than that a month.
3. I CLEARLY STATED that nightlife was not a necessity for me
4. I DO have a college degree, I am a recent college grad, only 23 years old
5. I open to ALL boroughs and NJ.
6. YES I AM a professional. You need at-least a Bachelor's degree to have my job. I work for one of the world's leading financial services, and NO I am not obligated to tell you the nature of my work to be considered a professional
7. Thanks to people with beneficial replies!

Last edited by JJAZZD; 08-01-2015 at 06:19 PM..

Old 08-01-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post
@OP - 80K is around 2,000 to 2,100 after taxes every 2 weeks depending on 401K contribution and transit spending account.

Nobody drives in Manhattan because there isn't space and forget the prices being charged for parking. For an easy commute since you work downtown, you'll have to live in Brooklyn. But a lot of places in Brooklyn 1 stop away from downtown Manhattan is very expensive. Have you considered Jersey City? You can find a reasonable 1 bedroom for around 1,100 and most likely the place will offer a parking spot. Certain parts of Jersey City are just 15 to 20 mins from downtown Manhattan.

The best advice I can give you is to spend as little on rent as possible.

Yes I have already figured out how much 80K will be after taxes, I have already started working and actually live in a state with taxes around the same as NY (40%) so I already have a feel of what I will be bringing home. and YES I have considered Jersey City, I put that in my original post, if you have any suggestions of neighborhoods or areas in Jersey that would be great!

Old 08-01-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Why the **** do you people get so wound up about what exactly this person's "profession" or employment? It does not matter if the OP is a physician or professional surfer; he or she *HAS* employment already lined up and thus knows his yearly income.

Like most algebraic word problems the word "profession" in this case is an bit of extraneous information that has zero to do with a correct answer.
I don't know where I ever said I would be bringing home 2K a month nor do I feel the need to explain my exact job duties/profession to strangers. I simply wanted suggestions on areas to live. Thanks for your advice it is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-01-2015, 05:42 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,277,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I always heard that Ridgewood had very tough street parking and that even getting a garage or driveway is difficult. Is this not true?
I have a car and park on the street. Use my car at least five days a week. I don't find it hard to park. To me the expense of a garage isn't worth it. But its my way of life, not sure my opinion holds true to someone new to the city.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:43 PM

11,195 posts, read 9,042,127 times
You don't really need a car in NYC. It will become a hassle. So either sell it, leave it with family in NC, or you will need to budget a parking garage.

With your salary, age, , i recommend:

NYC: UES, UWS, DUMBO,

NJ: Exchange Place, Hoboken

Have fun with your $$ and youth, dude!!

Old 08-02-2015, 02:03 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,019,840 times
Bring the car if you must, but don't drive into work. There's no point in it and people in your salary bracket simply don't do it. The only people I ever knew who drove in were executives who could afford the exorbitant garage fees.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:06 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,019,840 times
NYC Monthly Parking - Great Parking Deals from $75/mo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City