U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 07:28 PM

11,232 posts, read 21,668,365 times

Advertisements

whenever I buy milk, the date stamp says one thing, and then it says "in NYC" and gives a date at least a few days earlier. Is it because of local laws that only pertain to NYC? Or does milk goes bad faster here!!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 08:49 PM

9,847 posts, read 22,127,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
whenever I buy milk, the date stamp says one thing, and then it says "in NYC" and gives a date at least a few days earlier. Is it because of local laws that only pertain to NYC? Or does milk goes bad faster here!!?
I've noticed that too, but you know what's funny, if you buy the Lactaid milk, the one for lactose intolerant people, it lasts way longer and it doesn't have the two dates. I don't know why. It's like a dollar more, but considering it lasts longer and doesn't taste bad at all it's worth it. The Lactaid chocolate milk is heavenly.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:13 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,184,645 times
Yeah I have noticed that as well. I thought about asking it here, but was too embarassed that I didn't already know the reason. I'd be really interested if anyone knew the answer.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:42 PM

11,232 posts, read 21,668,365 times
Ok, should have googled first. this is what I found from nycnosh.com

"We have often wondered why dairy products get two expiration dates here: one for New York City, and one for the rest of the world. Often, the in-city date is a full two or three days earlier than the out-of-city date, which is a pretty significant discrepancy in the life of a quart of half-and-half. Does milk spoil faster in the five boroughs than it does elsewhere?

Yes and no. Thanks to a recent Ask Metafilter post, we found that the ever-reliable Florence Fabricant actually tackled this question in the New York Times way back in 1982. It turns out that NYC has its own rules and dairy dating systems, rules that require shops to stop selling fluid dairy products four days (96 hours) after 6:00 a.m. on the day they were pasteurized, instead of a more common 6-10 day window used in other places. Dairies that sell within the city as well as to other nearby locations double-mark their products–hence the baffling date stamps. The rationale behind the short sale span is simple: sometimes dairy products are left out on the sidewalk in front of stores or are left unrefrigerated in grocery delivery trucks for significant periods of time.

Here’s our take: if you purchase your dairy products from a 24-hour corner store or major chain grocery (places where someone is always around to accept delivery shipments) and bring it home right away, you are likely to have avoided any extended period of non-refrigeration and might want to use the later date as your guide. If, on the other hand, you choose to have your dairy products delivered to your door (as many New Yorkers do), you should probably pay attention to the earlier date. But keep in mind that those dates are the sell-by dates and not the consume-by dates; as Flo Fab writes, you can usually still drink your milk for a few days to a few weeks after the expiration date, as long as it is kept cold and sealed. But if it stinks, pitch it. "

and here's the ny times article they refer to from 1982 FRESHNESS OF MILK PRODUCTS - New York Times

Old 01-25-2008, 12:54 AM

757 posts, read 3,063,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
But keep in mind that those dates are the sell-by dates and not the consume-by dates
Thank you, Henna. A crucial but (apparently) esoteric point.

A co-worker used to pitch all the food from the office fridge that wasn't dated well into the future, because she thought it would suddenly turn toxic on the very date shown and anyone eating it would surely be lucky to survive the ordeal. I can't tell you how old some of the food I've eaten at home is. If it's the right color, aroma and taste, I'll eat it.

I'm still alive.

Of course, when I'm shopping, I do check for the latest sell-by dates.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:16 AM

81 posts, read 383,342 times
I have personally found that if I buy a bottle of milk, and we don't finish it within two days, it goes bad and does have to be thrown out. So I think those sell-by dates are correct.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:03 AM

19,450 posts, read 34,511,962 times
i mostly buy evaporated milk....i'm not a big cereal eater so evaporated milk works great for me in tea or coffee. and i dont have to worry myself with expiration dates.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:44 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,194,464 times
I buy a quart of milk and it lasts me about 6 days before it starts tasting funny.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:35 PM

757 posts, read 3,063,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudiRose View Post
I have personally found that if I buy a bottle of milk, and we don't finish it within two days, it goes bad and does have to be thrown out. So I think those sell-by dates are correct.
Is your refrigerator running?
Then you better go after it before it gets away!
Sorry, but maybe it's time to replace the fridge. My milk (which I don't buy often) is often fresh 10 days after I buy & open it.

If your landlord supplies the refrigerator, you'll face an MCI increase, so that's something to consider -- the cost of food gone bad too soon vs. the MCI added to your rent.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:47 PM

6 posts, read 111,099 times
Quote:
It turns out that NYC has its own rules and dairy dating systems, rules that require shops to stop selling fluid dairy products four days (96 hours) after 6:00 a.m. on the day they were pasteurized, instead of a more common 6-10 day window used in other places. Dairies that sell within the city as well as to other nearby locations double-mark their products–hence the baffling date stamps. The rationale behind the short sale span is simple: sometimes dairy products are left out on the sidewalk in front of stores or are left unrefrigerated in grocery delivery trucks for significant periods of time.
The rational is still pretty much the same but the time frame has changed. Milk sold in NYC must have a date of less than ten days. If a health inspector finds milk without proper NYC dating, or over ten days, it is a violation similar to having expired milk.
If milk is left unrefrigerated (during delivery or storage) it will not spoil right away, but the shelf life will be greatly reduced and often the milk will spoil before the expiration date.
Lactaid has a longer date because it is ultra-pasteurized; so is NesQuik and often half & half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or