Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 04:09 PM

267 posts, read 578,844 times

Advertisements

Please help me decide! I am moving to NYC in Sept from Ohio. Just got a job offer for $90,000. I will be working in Brooklyn but I really want to live in Manhattan. I am willing to consider Brooklyn since i'll be working there but does anyone have a suggestion of a neighborhood in brooklyn or manhattan for a 27 year old female, safety is #1, walkable, vibrant, lot's of shops and restaurants. Don't want to spend more than $1800 in rent so i'm mostly focusing on studios. My job is in Bushwick so suggestions most convenient to it are welcome. I know I will be commuting using the A/C/E trains I believe, so neighborhoods that have these connections are also welcome.

Also, any insight on how difficult the commute would be from astoria to bushwick over manhattan? Is $90k enough to live comfortably in NYC? in Ohio this would be excellent but not sure what to expect in NY...I am singe no kids.Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 04:35 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
$90K is certainly adequate for living in NYC. Going by the 40x rule that many landlords use, this would allow you to rent for $2250.

$1800 is not much of a budget for a studio in the nice parts of Brooklyn or Manhattan these days. I am not sure, but in Manhattan I think you'd be restricted to living on the Upper East Side, which is a very nice neighborhood but it could take you a while to get to your job in Bushwick, like 45 minutes to an hour depending on the walk to the train.

Btw, are you sure your job is on the A/C/E trains? I thought Bushwick was served only by the J/Z/L and M.

Even in Brooklyn, the $1800 apartment is hard to find these days as far as I know, unless you go further south to areas like Bay Ridge, which is perfectly nice, but a pain for commuting to Bushwick.

Astoria also would be a pain for commuting to Bushwick. If I were you and wanted to live alone for $1800, I would look in Ridgewood.

Helpful hint -- Google maps has transit directions if you click on the train icon, so you can see more or less how long it's going to take you to commute. At least it gives you an estimate and it's generally not too far off the mark.

Upping your budget by a few hundred dollars might make it possible to live in Williamsburg or Greenpoint, which would be very nice. I just can't keep up with what rents are skyrocketing to in which neighborhoods lately, but I am guessing $2250 would still get you a studio in one of those two places.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:49 PM

110 posts, read 158,953 times
safety is your number 1 and your job is in Bushwick

Bushwick is not a safe neighborhood ; it is definitely better than previous years

what is definition of safety to you ?

plenty of men in Bushwick would stare, comment, or say hello to a hot girl, especially in summer with shorts

In the summer time, people would literally block the street or gang in a group in front of the building

if u work in bushwick, either settle in Williamsburg, Bushwick, Bed-stuvyesant, or Ridgewood, Queens

there are occasionally a pervert in the street, a man showing his private sexual organ to ladies in the street, especially early morning or at night when there are no one is around in the street

A/C/E is not in Bushwick, typically J/M/L is in Bushwick

A/C/ is in Bed stuyvesant or cypress hill

there is no E train in brooklyn ; the last stop of E train is in world trade Center, Manhattan

bushwick to Astoria : take M train and then N/Q train - an hour of commute

manhattan to Astoria: it depends where in Manhattan it can be as little as 20 mins or as long as an hour

State tax takes away 1/3 of your money, so 90k -30k =60k

just let you know : most people work in manhattan, but they all live in brooklyn, queens, or bronx

i never heard anyone work in brooklyn,but live in manhattan

Old 08-04-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
$90K is certainly adequate for living in NYC. Going by the 40x rule that many landlords use, this would allow you to rent for $2250.

$1800 is not much of a budget for a studio in the nice parts of Brooklyn or Manhattan these days. I am not sure, but in Manhattan I think you'd be restricted to living on the Upper East Side, which is a very nice neighborhood but it could take you a while to get to your job in Bushwick, like 45 minutes to an hour depending on the walk to the train.

Btw, are you sure your job is on the A/C/E trains? I thought Bushwick was served only by the J/Z/L and M.

Even in Brooklyn, the $1800 apartment is hard to find these days as far as I know, unless you go further south to areas like Bay Ridge, which is perfectly nice, but a pain for commuting to Bushwick.

Astoria also would be a pain for commuting to Bushwick. If I were you and wanted to live alone for $1800, I would look in Ridgewood.

Helpful hint -- Google maps has transit directions if you click on the train icon, so you can see more or less how long it's going to take you to commute. At least it gives you an estimate and it's generally not too far off the mark.

Upping your budget by a few hundred dollars might make it possible to live in Williamsburg or Greenpoint, which would be very nice. I just can't keep up with what rents are skyrocketing to in which neighborhoods lately, but I am guessing $2250 would still get you a studio in one of those two places.
Ooooooh wow so much money! Thank you for your response! Very eye opening and scary. Any thoughts on harlem?

Old 08-04-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latent123 View Post
safety is your number 1 and your job is in Bushwick

Bushwick is not a safe neighborhood ; it is definitely better than previous years

what is definition of safety to you ?

plenty of men in Bushwick would stare, comment, or say hello to a hot girl, especially in summer with shorts

In the summer time, people would literally block the street or gang in a group in front of the building

if u work in bushwick, either settle in Williamsburg, Bushwick, Bed-stuvyesant, or Ridgewood, Queens

there are occasionally a pervert in the street, a man showing his private sexual organ to ladies in the street, especially early morning or at night when there are no one is around in the street

A/C/E is not in Bushwick, typically J/M/L is in Bushwick

A/C/ is in Bed stuyvesant or cypress hill

there is no E train in brooklyn ; the last stop of E train is in world trade Center, Manhattan

bushwick to Astoria : take M train and then N/Q train - an hour of commute

manhattan to Astoria: it depends where in Manhattan it can be as little as 20 mins or as long as an hour

State tax takes away 1/3 of your money, so 90k -30k =60k

just let you know : most people work in manhattan, but they all live in brooklyn, queens, or bronx

i never heard anyone work in brooklyn,but live in manhattan
Whoa you know the trains like the back of your hand. Thank you for the info. I was told by a future coworker that they take the C train to work and walk 5 minutes. Maybe they are off or maybe the neighborhood is not really bushwick?

I know it's weird to work in brooklyn and live in manhattan lol but I really love it and want to experience it if I can. I know basically nothing about brooklyn but williamsburg.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:03 PM

110 posts, read 158,953 times
typically people who couldnt afford the rent in williamsburg, they would settle in bushwick

williamsburg and bushwick share the same train line J/M/L

A and C is on the same train line in Bed Stuyvesant near Atlantic avenue ; also very close to long island railroad

A is a express train - stop at major stops

C is a local train - stop on every single stops

Old 08-04-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal198 View Post
Whoa you know the trains like the back of your hand. Thank you for the info. I was told by a future coworker that they take the C train to work and walk 5 minutes. Maybe they are off or maybe the neighborhood is not really bushwick?
It's not too hard to figure out which trains are nearby if you know the address of your future workplace. Plug it into Google maps and look for the M icon in the little blue squares. This means there's a subway in that location. If you zoom in a little more, Google maps will show you which lines stop at the little M icon.

Perhaps if you give the general location/vicinity of your workplace (like some cross streets), people can be of more assistance to you.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Ooooooh wow so much money! Thank you for your response! Very eye opening and scary. Any thoughts on harlem?
I don't know Harlem well. I think some parts are fine for safety and others are not so good. Also your commute time might be a little long depending on where exactly in Brooklyn you're commuting to. And how far from the train your apartment and job are.

In terms of rent prices, I think the only ones who can keep up with them are the real estate agents. They have been really on an upswing in the past two years and unless you're actively searching for an apartment, or if you live in a particular area and like to follow the trends, you're not going to know exactly what $1800 will get you. I just know that in my own un-hip neighborhood of Queens, even the studios are hitting the $1500 to $1600 mark, and people pay a HUGE premium to live in hipper, more amenity-filled areas of Manhattan and gentrified Brooklyn, so I am just guessing that in most desirable areas, $1800 is going to be hard to find.

You can check streeteasy for rental prices http://streeteasy.com/

Old 08-04-2015, 06:17 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
If it is the C train, Harlem could be a possibility. A lot of young people are moving here, actually the more interesting young people in comparison to downtown. To find out how long the commute would be you can check on hopstop. Enter your work address and then the 125th street station on St. Nicholas. It takes me around 20 - 30 minutes to get to Fulton Street on the A, for example.

Harlem is more expensive than Bushwick, you could find something if you look ... But for the more desirable areas it is expensive. If you decide on Harlem post again and I will give my opinion about areas. Provisionally, you should definitely look close to the ABCD at 125th.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:50 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
If it is the C train, Harlem could be a possibility. A lot of young people are moving here, actually the more interesting young people in comparison to downtown. To find out how long the commute would be you can check on hopstop. Enter your work address and then the 125th street station on St. Nicholas. It takes me around 20 - 30 minutes to get to Fulton Street on the A, for example.

Harlem is more expensive than Bushwick, you could find something if you look ... But for the more desirable areas it is expensive. If you decide on Harlem post again and I will give my opinion about areas. Provisionally, you should definitely look close to the ABCD at 125th.
According to a recent Curbed article, the median rent in Bushwick is higher than in Harlem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City