Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 04:55 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

The state should also let the tax breaks for luxury housing expire. They only got a short term extension in June. There are plenty of ways that the city and the state can use NYC real estate to fund the MTA Capital Budget without having to raise tax rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 06:03 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
A parallel is the way PATH works.

Port Authority got a large "capital" fare increase a number of years ago in order to "extend the stations to accommodate longer trains." They got the fare increase but no station was lengthened by even an inch.
MTA works the same way.

I think we can assume the word "capital" has an alternate meaning of "never gonna happen."

Old 08-12-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
A parallel is the way PATH works.

Port Authority got a large "capital" fare increase a number of years ago in order to "extend the stations to accommodate longer trains." They got the fare increase but no station was lengthened by even an inch.
MTA works the same way.

I think we can assume the word "capital" has an alternate meaning of "never gonna happen."
Not even. The MTS does see its capital projects through. In recent years they have added countdown clocks cold, added the new order of r260 trains, and now you have system expansion in the form of the 7 station opening up next month. The Port Suthority has rebuilt the World Trade Center and built Airtrain JFK 10 years ago.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:00 AM

500 posts, read 571,364 times
Cut corruption and overpaid salaries first. NYC has one of the highest fares along with the highest utilization (meaning transit is more cost effective for us versus cities with less utilization) so there is plenty of money to improve services without taking more public money.

Every time I see these lines go down for "improvements" when all they're doing is cutting service, someone is pocketing that money.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:41 AM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times
NYC Transit originally was under NYC control. It was transferred to the state because the city couldn't afford to run it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegiateSchoolNY View Post
I agree. However, if NYC pays more, the NYC subway will need to go under NYC government control.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:43 AM

I tend to agree. But let's no delude ourselves to think that if they expire, any of this money will get earmarked for transit.

One of the points that was made is that for the amount of the tax breaks on the property, the city could have built a lot more affordable housing than the developer did to get the abatement. I have a feeling if Bla gets his grubby paws on that money, that's where its going to go.,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The state should also let the tax breaks for luxury housing expire. They only got a short term extension in June. There are plenty of ways that the city and the state can use NYC real estate to fund the MTA Capital Budget without having to raise tax rates.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:36 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I tend to agree. But let's no delude ourselves to think that if they expire, any of this money will get earmarked for transit.

One of the points that was made is that for the amount of the tax breaks on the property, the city could have built a lot more affordable housing than the developer did to get the abatement. I have a feeling if Bla gets his grubby paws on that money, that's where its going to go.,
Not only that, but any money that MTA saves under its Capital budget doesn't even go back to MTA. When the MTA completed the repairs for the R train tunnel after Sandy, they completed it ahead of schedule and for cheaper than was earmarked in the budget... Cuomo took those savings away from the MTA and put them into the state budget. There is no incentive for the MTA to save money, because any savings just go back to other state agencies.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

It's certainly where de Blasio would like to put it. However the MTA and Cuomo can force the issue. De Blasio himself said he wanted to turn the Atlantic LIRR into a subway and build the Utica Avenue line. Clearly the city would have to pay for these things, at least in part.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:36 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
The more these incidents happen, the more the lines are being drawn between MTA, NYS, and NYC. It does not look like enough money is forthcoming. Can anyone think of creative ideas that would offer dramatic results? I could think of expanding ferry service from Atlantic Highlands, and creating a new CBD in Newark-Prudential or Grand Concourse.

M.T.A. Chief Presses New York City for Funding After G Train Derails
By EMMA G. FITZSIMMONS
New York Times
SEPT. 11, 2015
(website) http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/12/ny...y-derails.html

Old 09-13-2015, 04:09 PM

If the MTA REALLY wanted to force the point, they would put a $5 subway/bus fair on the table, and basically say if the city/state don't come up with more money to fund the system, it will be imposed. That MIGHT put enough pressure on the political layer to come up with more money.

Then again, it might not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City