Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 04:33 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,482 times

Advertisements

Living in the Bronx from the 40's to the 60's, there were always some good restaurants that you could find in the Bronx, for the fancy meals/weddings
there was Patricia Murphys or Mayers Rest. over on Arthur Ave. you could get a great Italian meal at Dominicks or the Blue Moon, Mario's. City Island had the Lobster Box and several others, of which the names escape me.
There was Ciro's across from the Park Plaza Theater. In Riverdale there was the Riverdale Diner, The Green Tree. Back then on Kingsbridge Rd. was a ice cream place called Jahn's.......home of the kitchen sink enough for 4 people scoops of ice cream, toppings and dollops of whip cream. Over on the Concourse was Krums......with counters full of every nut and candy you could imagine, to the back of the store was two counters for ice cream sodas
sundae's and talk with the guys that made these concoctions. Down on Southern Blvd was Howard Johnson's home of 37 flavors of ice cream, they also had a Wed. night all you can eat fish fry......the guys from Fordham would sit for hours eating till they couldn't eat no more, and for $3.99 that was a bargain.

Today many of the places I've mentioned are long gone, replaced by different types of restaurants, I know that some still exist, Dominicks and Mario's and Ann and Tony's are still over on Arthur Ave. Riverdale still has The Green Tree, Josephina's Liebmans for great corned beef and deli, and for pizza Goodfella'
over on Kingsbridge there's The Pipers Kilt.

So what other restaurants do you enjoy......Chinese, Cuban, Spanish
or good ole American meals, and don't forget best pizza.

Last edited by Songbird42; 01-25-2008 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: fix errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 08:22 PM

17 posts, read 51,752 times
There's this one restaurant on City Island I've been to countless times, but I can't remember its name.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:05 AM

34,012 posts, read 47,240,427 times
best pizza in the bronx are those huge jumbo slices for $2.00 on the concourse between 183rd & 184th.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-28-2008, 11:34 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
I like Patricia's (Italian) in Morris Park....their bread and olive oil are delicious. I also like the food at Alexander's Cafe (American) in Port Morris/Mott Haven. The owner cooks the meals himself, and caters to your every whim....and it is BYOB (for now at least!)...outdoor seating coming in Spring as well!

For a good plate of rice, beans, and chicken..El Valle (Dominican) in Longwood is great. I also like Tosca's (Italian, same owner as Patricia's), but not for the food, the bar, ambience is good. Go for a drink....the food is subpar as they are overwhelmed and the food suffers greatly.

Does anyone know where to get some GOOD sushi in this borough? I know of a couple places but have not been yet...it has to be GOOD.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:21 PM

242 posts, read 926,756 times
Frankie & Johnny's is great too, huge portions and a nice setting.

For Sushi Theres alittle spot on Williamsbridge north of Rhinelander. I can't remember the name right now but its pretty good.

GWAC's reccomendations of Patricias for food and Tosca for the bar are spot on. Tosca bar scene is real nice.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:46 PM

67 posts, read 319,572 times
WOW, You mentioned Goodfellas in Riverdale ...one block from me and Piper's Quilt (AWESOME) just about 8 blocks from me.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:50 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,167,439 times
if you like goodfellas try napolis on 208 (maybe 207th) and bainbridge

Old 01-28-2008, 10:24 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Roberto's in Belmont for Italian. Pretty fancy, but the dress code is casual. Really good food, but the prices are quite high. If you go there just remember to split everything, because the portions are quite big.

J-Jade Dim Sum in Riverdale. Probably the only real Hong Kong/Dim Sum restaurant in the Bronx, at least the ones I know of. Their lunch specials are pretty good.

Rambling House in Woodlawn for Irish food. I like their Shepherd's Pies. You can get better fish and chips at other places in the neighborhood, but most of those places are delis (no seats).

Captain's Ristorante in Morris Park. They make really good white slices, but they charge entirely way too much (like $3-4 for a slice of pizza). I have a feeling that they only do this to non-Italian people. I have no proof of this, but that's my theory.

While not technically in the Bronx, but pretty close...

El Malecon in Yonkers, next to Riverdale. I haven't been to this place yet, but I've been told by a lot of people that they make really good Dominican food.

Much farther into Yonkers is this Arab place that I like called Ya Hala. Their food is pretty good and the prices are reasonable.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:30 AM

113 posts, read 383,399 times
What about Louie's? "Good family place, good food.....................an old fashioned toilet with a pull box!"

Old 01-29-2008, 09:36 PM

17 posts, read 51,752 times
Quote:
Much farther into Yonkers is this Arab place that I like called Ya Hala. Their food is pretty good and the prices are reasonable.
I concur. It's a Palestinian place (I think), but if you want really good Arab food, you should head down to Astoria, Queens, or Bay Ridge if you feel like taking a trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: