Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 01:41 PM

461 posts, read 556,165 times

Advertisements

I was in Belmont in April visiting a friend. Surprised to see so many white kids besides the long-standing and remaining old Italians and Albanians. I think the area is due for gentrification soon, if it isn't already happening, because of Fordham U.

12 AM on a Saturday night and all I saw was mobs and mobs of white college students for a good three blocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 02:04 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
I was in Belmont in April visiting a friend. Surprised to see so many white kids besides the long-standing and remaining old Italians and Albanians. I think the area is due for gentrification soon, if it isn't already happening, because of Fordham U.

12 AM on a Saturday night and all I saw was mobs and mobs of white college students for a good three blocks.
Not really a surprise considering Fordham U is overwhelmingly made up of white kids from ny-metro suburbs and other parts of US. The Fordham U. students although they are transient walk around the area pretty comfortably. I only see the freshman walk around tentatively in groups, lol.

The area is not a likely gentrification target. For one it's in the Bronx which has a stigma and still scares a lot of people. Gentrification in the Bronx will probably creep it's way up from the south bronx. But for what it's worth commercial and residential rents have been steadily going up last few years in the Bronx. Maybe eventually the creeping up will work it's way to Belmont.

The other issue with Belmont in terms of it gentrifying is that it doesn't have direct subway access. For most of the neighborhood your looking at a short bus ride or long walk to subway. Metro North is nice but is not practical for everyone depending where they work.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 08-14-2015 at 02:14 PM..

Old 08-16-2015, 08:15 AM

624 posts, read 982,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
You see white students because there is a college campus there and think its gentrification?? Maybe they are just there because they are students..

Plenty of major US cities have good universities right in the middle of the questionable neighborhoods. A prime example is Johns Hopkins Hospital and University with is almost Ivy Leave is smack in the middle of a horrible ghetto in Baltimore. I've heard stories about workers and students being robbed, assaulted, and even killed walking around at night alone. Yale is in New Haven which if you leave the campus area quickly becomes terrible.

I have doubts about gentrification in Fordham anytime soon. The area really does not have much to offer upwardly mobile white transplants the way the South Bronx, Queens, and Brooklyn neighborhoods do. The biggest problem being the complete lack of subway access.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:13 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
You see white students because there is a college campus there and think its gentrification?? Maybe they are just there because they are students..

Plenty of major US cities have good universities right in the middle of the questionable neighborhoods. A prime example is Johns Hopkins Hospital and University with is almost Ivy Leave is smack in the middle of a horrible ghetto in Baltimore. I've heard stories about workers and students being robbed, assaulted, and even killed walking around at night alone. Yale is in New Haven which if you leave the campus area quickly becomes terrible.

I have doubts about gentrification in Fordham anytime soon. The area really does not have much to offer upwardly mobile white transplants the way the South Bronx, Queens, and Brooklyn neighborhoods do. The biggest problem being the complete lack of subway access.
In general, this does hold true in a number of cases, but regarding Yale in New Haven, that section is pretty isolated. I'd say about half of New Haven is relatively "hood" and the other part is actually pretty decent and when walking around the area by Yale, you would have no idea you were in a "supposed" bad area. New Haven's crime rate always seems to be overblown...

Old 08-19-2015, 07:57 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Not sure what you mean. Doesn't it have its same borders?
As Yodel said, less Italian.

While I was there, it was still largely Italian, although visibly diminishing. As such, it was a very close-knit community composed of families and neighbors who had lived there for generations. With that comes stability as everyone knew everyone and watched out for and helped each other.

There was also a certain amount of myth or romanticism that went along with it. Supposedly, the Mob was always lurking in the background and made sure things were safe. How much of that was fiction, I do not know. Belmont, they would boast, was not looted during the 1977 blackout.

Of course, that stability had an ugly side to it as well. The aforementioned Mob was indeed there and with that comes a different form of crime and corruption once you dispense with the movie images and machismo.

Also, the residents subtly and sometimes obviously let it be known that non-Whites were barley tolerated.

In other words, a morally-compromised stability that would benefit a student.: dubious:

Old 08-19-2015, 08:18 AM

Belmont probably hasn't been majority Italian in all my lifetime and I'm 33 soon to be 34. When was it last majority Italian? The late 60's?

Old 08-19-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Belmont probably hasn't been majority Italian in all my lifetime and I'm 33 soon to be 34. When was it last majority Italian? The late 60's?
I attended Fordham from 1983 to 1987 and it was probably still majority Italian at that point, but just barely. The borders were clearly contracting. As you headed towards Third Avenue or Southern Blvd, any Italian presence disappeared.

So yea. Majority Italian, but with skewed borders as they were gradually receding.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I attended Fordham from 1983 to 1987 and it was probably still majority Italian at that point, but just barely. The borders were clearly contracting. As you headed towards Third Avenue or Southern Blvd, any Italian presence disappeared.

So yea. Majority Italian, but with skewed borders as they were gradually receding.
Lol I get what your saying. Sounds like only a small portion of Belmont was majority Italian at that point. Basically where I live now, which is the northernmost section.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Lol I get what your saying. Sounds like only a small portion of Belmont was majority Italian at that point. Basically where I live now, which is the northernmost section.
Yes, I am intentionally being ironic.

To be accurate, the borders then were Bathgate Avenue (West) and Crotona Avenue (East).

East 184th and East 183rd (more or less) was the Southern border. Fordham Road was the Northern frontier.

Within that area, everything and everybody was Italian. Consequently, that gave the impression- not an unjustified one- that one was in the midst of a thriving ethnic area. But comparing the existing borders the previous ones (Third Ave; Southern Blvd), you realized that the Italian population was shrinking. It was and has continued to do so.

Needless to say it looks radically different to me now. Not so different from Mulberry Street. But that is assimilation. Most Belmont descendants are now mowing their lawns in Westchester County and hitting the ole neighborhood to grab some Cannolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City