Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 08:58 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,516,055 times

Advertisements

Yeah, the dead are just taking up land that the living could use.

There are millions of people dead and buried in New York City alone-where are you going to move them to? Throw their bones in the ocean? Put them on a mountain somewhere (I guess no people live on that mountain)? Did you dig up all your ancestors and dump them somewhere so that other people could use the land that they are buried on?

New York City has already put up buildings and other things over both known and unknown cemeteries (the African Burial Ground, Washington Square Park to name a few). Do we really need to kick out the dead so that the living can have more luxury condos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 09:14 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,154,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
this is the BIGGEST thing that completely pisses me off. GRAVEYARDS. dead people from 200 years ago, right smack dab in the middle of prime real estate. there's a large church and graves from 1800s on church avenue and flatbush. what is the point of this? these dead people belong to no one today. the space is so valuable and can serve the LIVING people. everytime i walk by that church (i used to live in bensonhurst and there is another graveyard there adjoined to a church on 16th ave. and 84th st. with about 100 dead ppl. from the 1800s, pathetic) on church ave., i am pissed. i wish i could tell the pastor that this is all useless and we can use that space for a park or businesses or even residences.

what do you all think?? i KNOW you see graveyards in all the boroughs. and no, don't even get me started on the jewish graveyards in midwood. the ones that take up so much space, wow, and they have actual houses with a casket of bones in them. do people really envy themselves so much as part of existing (or having once existed) on earth? many of these tombstones even have a resume printed onto them with a picture. do dead people work in an afterlife for a fortune 500 corporation? this isn't even a joke. it's as if all these grades and jobs matter after you're dead and gone. i also find it hilarious that dead people have homes (a small % of them are inside of a room/shelter) while there are scores of living people without a home.

the good news is, everytime an empire falls, the next one taking over demolishes these graves and builds things on it that serves the actual living people. the utility issue is the thing that really makes me angry. why are random bones of people inside of a box more important than living people who need that space?
The whole concept of being buried seems contradictory to nature to me and quite frankly a little egotistical. But I respect everyone's personal belief's and wishes.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:17 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,200,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
this is the BIGGEST thing that completely pisses me off. GRAVEYARDS. dead people from 200 years ago, right smack dab in the middle of prime real estate. there's a large church and graves from 1800s on church avenue and flatbush. what is the point of this? these dead people belong to no one today. the space is so valuable and can serve the LIVING people. everytime i walk by that church (i used to live in bensonhurst and there is another graveyard there adjoined to a church on 16th ave. and 84th st. with about 100 dead ppl. from the 1800s, pathetic) on church ave., i am pissed. i wish i could tell the pastor that this is all useless and we can use that space for a park or businesses or even residences.

what do you all think?? i KNOW you see graveyards in all the boroughs. and no, don't even get me started on the jewish graveyards in midwood. the ones that take up so much space, wow, and they have actual houses with a casket of bones in them. do people really envy themselves so much as part of existing (or having once existed) on earth? many of these tombstones even have a resume printed onto them with a picture. do dead people work in an afterlife for a fortune 500 corporation? this isn't even a joke. it's as if all these grades and jobs matter after you're dead and gone. i also find it hilarious that dead people have homes (a small % of them are inside of a room/shelter) while there are scores of living people without a home.

the good news is, everytime an empire falls, the next one taking over demolishes these graves and builds things on it that serves the actual living people. the utility issue is the thing that really makes me angry. why are random bones of people inside of a box more important than living people who need that space?

Good point skippy....while we are at it, let's tear up the constitution as it's pretty old and what's the point, right? I tell you what, when you go, we'll smoke you into ashes....no sense in filling up the graveyards....it will leave room for a fire hydrant for dogs and wino's to pee on as well....finally, you will be doing us all a public service.....

Old 08-14-2015, 09:50 AM

898 posts, read 1,210,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Good point skippy....while we are at it, let's tear up the constitution as it's pretty old and what's the point, right? I tell you what, when you go, we'll smoke you into ashes....no sense in filling up the graveyards....it will leave room for a fire hydrant for dogs and wino's to pee on as well....finally, you will be doing us all a public service.....
uh, no.

the constitution is used by LIVING people. what kind of foolish analogy are you making? the topic is utility, not age. when i am dead, i would like to be cut up my medical students to study as i will once again, even in death, serve a purpose for society. i am not about ego stroking or writing resumes on a gravestone for an afterlife while taking up space the living could use.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Yeah, the dead are just taking up land that the living could use.

There are millions of people dead and buried in New York City alone-where are you going to move them to? Throw their bones in the ocean? Put them on a mountain somewhere (I guess no people live on that mountain)? Did you dig up all your ancestors and dump them somewhere so that other people could use the land that they are buried on?

New York City has already put up buildings and other things over both known and unknown cemeteries (the African Burial Ground, Washington Square Park to name a few). Do we really need to kick out the dead so that the living can have more luxury condos?
you could just incinerate the whole mess. everyone of them. i do not care about dead people. ancestors? yeah, this entire planet is my ancestor because we all have one single common ancestor we came from. i am not a packrat who needs to hold onto things. life is temporary and is most important for those whom are alive. a pile of bones and skulls is a joke.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
So...you'd rather see this

than this?

You, sir, have a very deluded outlook on this
i'd rather see people using that space. yes. all you show is a generic building. a beautiful residence would be great. people would use that daily and then some. i also see businesses operating, kids playing in a yard, lots of activity of all kinds happening instead of bones underground with resumes up top. like i said, if these people really are dying to be remembered after death, they can do so in useless real estate locations in the middle of nowhere. just don't do it in prime real estate areas. it is at this point that the box of bones and skulls need to show respect for actual people.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:27 PM

31,588 posts, read 26,430,119 times
For the OP's information many burial grounds have long since been paved over and or abandoned not only within Manhattan but elsewhere in NYC as well.

By City ordinance going back to the 1800's (IIRC) no new burial grounds have been opened in Manhattan. In fact the only active cemetery left in that borough is up in Harlem where Ed Koch was laid to rest.

http://untappedcities.com/2013/07/12...eries-are-now/

Madison Park, Washington Square Park, African Burial Grounds, part of Central Park among many are examples of former grave-yards that have long since been paved over. Sometimes the bodies were moved to other places, sometimes not or at least not all.

Finally you need to study the history of New York City. Many areas where these burial grounds once stood were outside heavily settled areas at that time. Harlem once was woods and mostly "country". Ditto the area around Washington Square Park. Standard rule is that about every generation or so Manhattan settled areas moved north. This was especially true for the rich/wealthy who saw their quiet residential areas encroached upon by commercial activity.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:17 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,867,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Yes, I'm somewhat familiar with that part of Queens (Glendale - Ridgewood) with a host of large cemeteries alongside one another. I even know some people interred at some of them. The best neighbors of all to have. I wish the great lot of our living fellow human beings would be as well behaved as the deceased.

Wherever I have lived, I make it my personal mission to not create undue noise or disturbances for any neighbors (even when living in multi-level multiple-dwelling apartment buildings). I'm so well-behaved that I'd be as good as having a deceased person for your neighbor.
It's pretty much impossible to live in Glendale and not be at least 2-3 blocks away from a cemetery. There's a nice huge cemetery right across the street from me, another one 3 blocks away going the other direction, and even more. I read somewhere that Glendale actually has more dead residents then live ones.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:36 PM

2,621 posts, read 3,386,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
It's pretty much impossible to live in Glendale and not be at least 2-3 blocks away from a cemetery. There's a nice huge cemetery right across the street from me, another one 3 blocks away going the other direction, and even more. I read somewhere that Glendale actually has more dead residents then live ones.
I can dig that! <-- GET IT? CEMETERY <-----> DIG

Telling jokes about death is a very grave decision. <-- GET IT? GRAVE?

I know, you and everyone else think I ought to be stoned for these lines! <-- GET IT? STONED?

Sorry, I was once again afflicted by another pun attack. I'll be better shortly.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:21 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,832,279 times
Cemeteies were for civilizaions where natural birth and death control operated harmoniously.

NOW with 7 billion people we are just too many, like cockroaches that have overrun a small apartment.

Hey,
Why not start grinding up bodies, flavoring them with some basil or Rosemary, for taste and color, and making high protein patties for McDonalds. Perhaps mix in a little Soy?
They certainly won't taste any worse than today's Big Mac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City