Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 11:20 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times

Advertisements

are the teens in the harlem section of Central Park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 11:23 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
The Guardian Angels are doing patrols in Central Park again, after a 20 year hiatus. That says something.
It certainly does - about the media, the press to gentrification, and the uncritical consumption of everything spun in the media by too many people. For anyone who happens to be thinking, that is to say.

This has been an issue forever. You can even find news stories, although granted a few more news stories - not incidents, not at all - these days. Most of the culprits live just north above the park, an area people once did not care about. St. Nicholas is awful for most of its length and the anti-socials are concentrated in particular in the lower part. Development is looking to transform this area, in fact it has changed tremendously, but there is a stubborn element.

Central Park North has become more desirable as well as that segment of East Harlem just above the park. Of course the Guardian Angels are lending a hand. There are even a few restaurants. Thus, things that have always been happening become news.

Kind of addendum - as is well known, the more recent problem with adolescents has a lot to do with the coming-of-age of crack babies. Children reared by exhausted and overextended grandmothers while their parent(s) languished in jail.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:04 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Amen. I was in college in NYC during their heyday. I recall a subway ride where they caught a thug who had mugged someone (I heard the victim call it out) , and judging by the yelling a minute later, the Angels were engaging in what Silwa humorously , in an interview, described as "modern behavior modification techniques".

Bet that thug didn't try that again.
Yep! I also think the Guardian Angels..😇..have permission to work with law enforcement..👮..That's why they are allowed
to guard Central Park. They know what and what not to do to avoid jail. They have some type is authority, people respected.
Them. I think they started out in the mid 70's.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:20 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanniebaby7 View Post
Yep! I also think the Guardian Angels..��..have permission to work with law enforcement..��..That's why they are allowed
to guard Central Park. They know what and what not to do to avoid jail. They have some type is authority, people respected.
Them. I think they started out in the mid 70's.
They did. Silwa had managed a McD's by Fordham, saw how bad crime was, and they started at the Fordham Road 4 train subway stop nearby.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:12 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
They did. Silwa had managed a McD's by Fordham, saw how bad crime was, and they started at the Fordham Road 4 train subway stop nearby.
I was then, and I still am a fan of the Guardian Angels, that's why they need new recruits to keep the Guardian Angels
alive and in motion, I'm sure they won't have a hard time getting new recruits.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:51 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Those thugs on bikes aren't confined to Central Park. From late evening to overnight you can find them on the UWS or UES such as Third Avenue far south as the high 70's or low 80's, but especially around E84th to E86th Street and Third.

Yes, they weave in and out of traffic, mess with drivers (especially of trucks and other large vehicles) usually by getting in front of them as the light changes and riding slowly or dodging in and out. So far haven't seen any of them bother anyone on the sidewalk or whatever, but then again haven't been paying close attention.

Central Park while not yet back to the pre 1980's days does seem to be slowly backsliding crime wise. A woman was raped a few days ago.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2321410

Crime wave grips Central Park | New York Post

Old 08-16-2015, 04:03 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,867 times
So, teenaged youths are once again harrassing the citizenry are they.

When Preston Brooks caned Charles Sumner on the senate floor in 1858, he used a gutta-percha cane, "of the type used to discipline unruly dogs".

It's a lightweight cane, and a solid beating "about the head and shoulders" oughtn't to be life threatening.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:11 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Those thugs on bikes aren't confined to Central Park. From late evening to overnight you can find them on the UWS or UES such as Third Avenue far south as the high 70's or low 80's, but especially around E84th to E86th Street and Third.

Yes, they weave in and out of traffic, mess with drivers (especially of trucks and other large vehicles) usually by getting in front of them as the light changes and riding slowly or dodging in and out. So far haven't seen any of them bother anyone on the sidewalk or whatever, but then again haven't been paying close attention.

Central Park while not yet back to the pre 1980's days does seem to be slowly backsliding crime wise. A woman was raped a few days ago.

I'm not convinced that there is anything so much more than usual except the bike riders. I have definitely noticed them.

I wondered if they received an inspiration from the dirt bike riders, who are still an issue around here.
Those guys see their defiance of the police as some sort of protest or something, crude but definitive.

Both dirt bike riders and stupid bikers - who were once everywhere on the sidewalks around Columbia and threatened women in particular - are very popular in central Harlem, say 135th and St. Nicholas. Lots of popular support.

Regarding the rape, the woman recanted ...? or refused to press charges or something.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:21 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I'm not convinced that there is anything so much more than usual except the bike riders. I have definitely noticed them.

I wondered if they received an inspiration from the dirt bike riders, who are still an issue around here.
Those guys see their defiance of the police as some sort of protest or something, crude but definitive.

Both dirt bike riders and stupid bikers - who were once everywhere on the sidewalks around Columbia and threatened women in particular - are very popular in central Harlem, say 135th and St. Nicholas. Lots of popular support.

Regarding the rape, the woman recanted ...? or refused to press charges or something.
NYPD found the guy via his cell phone (dropped during or after the attack) and the thing came down to a huge mess of "he said-she said" with the cops declining to arrest because of "inconsistencies" in the woman's story.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:27 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

It doesn't seem like Central Park can be blamed for being dangerous, when they entered the park together for a walk. If they had met in the park or it had been a surprise attack in the park, then yes, then it makes sense to bring up this example of Central Park possibly getting more dangerous (even though it's true he was let go for inconsistencies in the woman's story).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: