Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 07:15 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
In Manhattan, you're lucky if you get up to 30 MPH. Unless, of course, you're driving between 1 and 4am... then you may get up to 50 MPH
As long as you're not on the Van Wyck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 07:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
That brand new car will become a bruised rubbermaid container in no time in NYC. Best car in NYC is a beater.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:19 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
For practicality, a Subaru Forester would work well with the snow and spring potholes, as well as let you escape garage surcharges. If you want something higher end, try a Volvo XC60.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:26 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,157 times
you would definitely want to lease a vehicle here as well.

the road surfaces are atrocious. uneven, broken pavement, poor repair jobs. there are giant craters everywhere. and if there has been a heavy snow or rain things get even worse. you really need to have an SUV with cushy high profile tires.

you will need to replace suspension bushings every 40k miles or so, and keep a spare set of wheels too. I've cracked two wheels and bent two others in the course of 6 months on my car with 18 inch stock wheels with 40 series tires.

I think the roads are actually better now under Deblowsio than they were during the Bloomberg era, but they are still really bad because they pave them with inferior materials so that they need to be redone every two years.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
If you are that rich, get a personal driver.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:44 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
the road surfaces are atrocious. uneven, broken pavement, poor repair jobs. there are giant craters everywhere. and if there has been a heavy snow or rain things get even worse. you really need to have an SUV with cushy high profile tires.

you will need to replace suspension bushings every 40k miles or so, and keep a spare set of wheels too. I've cracked two wheels and bent two others in the course of 6 months on my car with 18 inch stock wheels with 40 series tires.
Which auto service shops in NYC (Westchester, Queens, Brooklyn, even NJ) are good in upgrading suspension systems? And what are recommended tires for dealing with snow and potholes?

Old 08-16-2015, 10:00 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Don't even bother moving into Manhattan if you work in Connecticut and want to drive. Manhattan is just awful to drive around.

Better off looking into Westchester County or parts of the Bronx.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:13 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Which auto service shops in NYC (Westchester, Queens, Brooklyn, even NJ) are good in upgrading suspension systems? And what are recommended tires for dealing with snow and potholes?
Couldn't tell you. I do all of my own work on the car because I don't trust hack job mechanics. I use the Bentley manual and technical forums like Audizine and vwvortex for detailed procedures.

Even the dealer (Beiner in Great Neck) managed to break a few things on the car, and the service advisors are liars there as well.

If you want to redo your control arms and bump stops, the best bet is to goto the owner forums for your specific model (Subdriven if you have a Subaru) and look at some of the local forums for recommendations of private mechanics. Usually guys who were dealer technicians at one time, but either do service on the side or opened up their own shop.

Regarding tire brands, don't buy any Chinese or Korean brands is a general rule of thumb. Jinyu, Hankook, Kuhmo. Stick with Bridgestone, Dunlop, Yokohama, Pirelli.

To do less damage when hitting potholes you will want a higher profile tire with more meat to protect the rim. So instead of a 40 series, something like a 50 or 55 series. Obviously this affects the cars handling in a negative fashion, but most insurance carriers do not cover cracked or squared off wheels as I learned the hard way.

Just bought a new set of wheels and tires from tirerack to the tune of $2700.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:25 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Why are you moving to NYC if you are going to work in CT?

Old 08-17-2015, 12:35 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Teslas are not common around here, because of the aforementioned issues with garaging and charging them. Now in Seattle you can barely throw a rock and not hit one as they are very much the "it" car in cities that are heavy on tech industy, but in your position I'd go with the Range Rover and not have to sweat the winter travel problems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City