Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 01:45 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times

Advertisements

Probably San Diego. It's much easier to drive around and get places, and the weather is far superior. Plus there's less congestion and far less people.

However, I'm not too fond of California as a state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 09:02 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
I lived in New York City, then moved to California (not San Diego although I was there often for work), and then I came back to NYC. So my answer is obviously NY. For all those living in NY if you truly want to move get to it. Don't let fear hold you back. If you don't like it you can always return. I did. I'm happy I'm back but also glad I had to experience of living out in California

Old 11-10-2015, 09:19 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I drove up through SGV, into Hollywood , Sunset Blvd, through Fairfax, Mid Wilshire to Downtown and up to Chinatown, and there are no people out on the streets walking around.
You're REALLY wrong. Lol.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:33 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
I drove up through SGV, into Hollywood , Sunset Blvd, through Fairfax, Mid Wilshire to Downtown and up to Chinatown, and there are no people out on the streets walking around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
How is that wrong? You can drive from The San Gabriel Valley to Hollywood and then back track and pass by sunset blvd, fairfax, wilshire to downtown if you take the local roads. And after your downtown just go north a but to chinatown.
However there are "some" people on the streets in most of those areas just not masses like NYC.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
How is that wrong? You can drive from The San Gabriel Valley to Hollywood and then back track and pass by sunset blvd, fairfax, wilshire to downtown if you take the local roads. And after your downtown just go north a but to chinatown.
However there are "some" people on the streets in most of those areas just not masses like NYC.
read the bold words and the quoted post.

Last edited by owl6969; 11-10-2015 at 10:49 PM..

Old 11-10-2015, 11:43 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
Seeing five to 8 people walking around wont do it for me. I am use to Manhattan levels of foot traffic. Anything less is like not having any foot traffic at all.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Seeing five to 8 people walking around wont do it for me. I am use to Manhattan levels of foot traffic. Anything less is like not having any foot traffic at all.
smh.. Words in bold . If you read the words in bold and actually went to the main or correct areas of the words in bold you wouldn't be saying what you had said.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:05 AM

80 posts, read 110,232 times
Interesting post.

I've lived here (NYC) most of my adult life. And I stay because of my job. I first visited SD 20 years ago and have been back 10 or so times since. SD and NYC are very different places. So much so that if you prefer the lifestyle of one, you will probably dislike the other. San Diego is more similar to Nasssu and western Suffolf Counties in terms of layout, public transit, and density. NYC is an urban city. SD is a more suburban place. I prefer San Diego.

As for weather: SD is widely recognized as having one of the most comfortable climates in the world. Cooler in the summer than here, and obviously warmer in the winter. I like the seasons but there is much to be said for being able to walk out the door 365 days a year without having to worry much about extreme heat & humidity or freezing cold.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:16 AM

850 posts, read 796,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
It's disgustingly hot indoors in most places in NYC in the fall, winter, and even deep into spring. I visited a friend in San Diego a few years ago for two weeks and I enjoyed it immensely. I thought about moving there many times. I still do. I'm going to be 40 years old in a year and a half and I've never learned to drive though. I might be phobic of it. It's funny considering that i'm obsessed with racing games.

Back to weather.. Over the last 4-5 years I get VERY VERY depressed like clockwork at the end of ever summer. It doesn't lift until spring. Anti-depressants sort of work, but I hate relying on them to get me through winter, which I have done the last two Winters. Winters in NYC grosses me out so much not because it's cold outside, but because of how disgusting it is indoors because of the heat. I'd love to live somewhere that has NO INDOOR HEAT! I love it when it's 90 degrees outside and freezing inside.

Thinking about fall approaching right now is literally making me almost want to cry.

I'm from this area (born in Jersey City) and I seem to get tired of it, but I'm afraid if I move to san diego or LA that i'll just be running away from myself. I really do not like the kinds of people that are moving to NYC. (has nothing to do with them being young, it has more to do with them being ugly and breadknot). The gross tech industry is really doing a doozy on NYC, and not for the better. These people are wealthy, obnoxious, and UGLY! And the crotchfruit they are dropping, who are now native new yorkers, are going to be even WORSE.

If I could learn how to drive, if I could find a job out there (i'm just an office monkey), if I could lose 10 pounds, maybe i'd move out to San Diego. The white and hispanic/mexican people out in San Diego are much prettier to look at. I find the white population in NYC to be really ugly. Sorry. NYC is better though in it's diversity of people, although that is seriously shrinking as every breadknot seems to yearn to move to this expensive dump.

THAT said... I LOOOOOOVE NYC beaches 10x more than the ones I went to in San Diego. I have become a HUGE beach person (oddly the summer I got back from San Diego) and I get SO mad at myself thinking all the years I lived here and didn't know all these great beaches are available with a swipe of a metrocard.
This post was hilarious. Not everyone in Cal is pretty.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:20 AM

850 posts, read 796,442 times
I think for those who like NY or lived in NY for a while would prefer San Francisco better if you like Urban places and lots of people. I think SD is ok, kinda slow and has a very limited job market. However San Fran rents are insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City