Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 5,053 times

Advertisements

that is a myth their is no open admission.....only to community colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 11:12 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,997,837 times
CUNY is sort of a double edged sword.

In some regards it has reputable programs that are well respected, depending what school you attend (i.e. Hunter's Nursing/Social Work Programs, or Baruch's business Programs). And is has improved tremendously but it still leaves a bad taste in people's mouthes when it comes to name brand quality. Part of that is because of their old open door policies and another piece of it is because it has the stigma of being a public school that is cheaper than the privates. Most people, involuntarily equate quality with cost and I think CUNY gets a bad rap in that respect. Normally people see it as A) Nothing impressive B) Lower quality or C) OK-depending on the program. Regardless of the program, I think in most employers minds it is seen as either A or C. And the general public either see it as A or B.

But more and more peope are seeing it as a smart choice given the cost of higher ed these days. So for that reason and that reason alone, CUNY has become more competitive.

Last edited by itshim; 02-10-2011 at 11:26 PM..

Old 02-17-2011, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 9,515 times
@ Itshim, I agree with you. The economy and lack of jobs in the city have forced many students to attend CUNY schools. I attended a CUNY for graduate school (my opinion their undergrad isn't great, but their making changes to make their undergrad better) and found a great job outside the city. I have considered attending CUNY law in Queens because of the affordability and its programs. CUNY has become competetive and a viable option for young professionals to enter the job market. Now, with that being said, I attended a private college for undergrad and felt that overall the quality of education was better at the private college I attended. In my personal opinion, the CUNY that you attend is important and how you do at that CUNY is important as well.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:01 AM

6,453 posts, read 6,997,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoy211262 View Post
@ Itshim, I agree with you. The economy and lack of jobs in the city have forced many students to attend CUNY schools. I attended a CUNY for graduate school (my opinion their undergrad isn't great, but their making changes to make their undergrad better) and found a great job outside the city. I have considered attending CUNY law in Queens because of the affordability and its programs. CUNY has become competetive and a viable option for young professionals to enter the job market. Now, with that being said, I attended a private college for undergrad and felt that overall the quality of education was better at the private college I attended. In my personal opinion, the CUNY that you attend is important and how you do at that CUNY is important as well.
I'm in the same boat as you. I attended two [costly] privates for both undergrad and grad. I've considered law school as well, and I was planning to apply to either St. Johns or Brooklyn Law and found that the price tag was just too unrealistic. I refuse to absorb that much more debt with little to no gurantees. I've considered CUNY Queens Law as well, but from what I've gathered, it's a win/lose situation. You win with the price but lose with the rep (not to mention they only accept students as full time, unlike BkL and SJL).

Right now, my plan is to apply to the CUNY Grad Center for a PhD program, attend part time and pay it off as I go. From what I've been told, they offer solid degree programs with a pretty good rep.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:37 AM

47 posts, read 97,135 times
I go to City college for Computer Science, I like it. The job opportunities promised to me are pretty uplifting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City