Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,212 times

Advertisements

We are taking our kids to NYC in December. They will be almost 7 and almost 10, a girl and boy. We are definitely seeing the Rockettes and Stomp. Which other shows would you recommend? We will be able to see 2 more. Trying to decide between Aladdin, Lion King, Matilda and Wicked.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 05:36 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,709,904 times
Absolutely Lion King! It's an amazing show!

Wicked is great but very hard to get tickets, too.

Aladdin might be fun (I've never seen it)

Matilda is supposed to be great.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:43 PM

993 posts, read 1,380,365 times
Gazillion Bubble Show is also popular..

You didn't mention budget, but if it's their first time and you're near your limit on ticket budgeting, I can recommend: choose one of those 4 big-Broadway shows you mentioned, and buy closer up tickets for children. They'll get more out of it, and remember it longer.

For me, nobody's better than Julie Taymor so I'd go with Lion King's phenomenal artistry - costumes, amazing puppetry and they'll likely know some music which is fun to hear it brought to life onstage.

I'm about even on Aladdin and Matilda as second choice.

I'd put Wicked last choice for that age, might be a little over-their-heads emphasizing very clever lyrics to engage adults also. Mashing-up (blending) many fairy tales is great for adults, but could make your youngest just a bit confused, maybe.

I used to bring my kids around to B'way shows. Two boys ended up majoring in college in Theater and Screenwriting and pursuing careers along those lines. The girl finished college and went into the circus for a few years. I'm sure it's because I bought them close-up seats... big mistake, LOL.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,212 times
Thank you for your input. That is very helpful. We are definitely going to get closer seats because I know they will enjoy it better. My daughter sat on her seat at 2 1/2 watching the Rockettes completely taken with it and they have seen other shows before just not in NYC. I have heard so much about Lion King but wasn't sure which would be better between that and Aladdin.

I haven't heard of the Gazillion Bubble show. I will look into it.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:36 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,208,050 times
Lion King is wonderful, as is Aladdin.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:39 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,761,610 times
Dont forget off broadway stuff like Fuerza Bruta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City