Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 03:35 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times

Advertisements

I have a membership with Enterprise CarShare. I'm glad I came across this thread as it reminds me that I have to cancel my membership soon so as to avoid paying the annual membership fee when my free 1 year trial runs its course. In short, I've been far from pleased by the rates; I find them better than some of the competition, though. Still, the service has come in handy at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 03:43 PM

257 posts, read 685,149 times
I have had issues with zipcar, mostly the fault of the previous user rather than the company, but it hasn't been too bad at all. One thing I like about them is that ez-pass is free. Not free as in you don't have to pay tolls, which of course you do, but that they don't charge you extra fees for using it but only forward the discounted ez-pass rate. From what I've read all other car sharing companies are worse in that regard. And a word of advice about the online reviews: most people who are going to write a review are people with bad experiences and an ax to grind. People who are happy with an establishment, especially something like car sharing, will probably just move on with their lives rather than go online to praise it.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Thanks guys, keep those good suggestions coming.

Had a Hertz 24/7 (aka Hertz Connect, Hertz on Demand) membership for a while and found once they got themselves sorted it was great for short period rentals. Once they raised the rates to nearly $10/hr. for the smallest cars it still was a bargain but yes, only for short periods. After three hours or so you could probably find a rental from Enterprise or someplace for the same or less money for an entire day, especially during the week.

Hertz 24/7 was not a picnic at first and sometimes could be aggravating but by and large the last year or so was pretty good IMHO. Have been reading the online reviews for Zipcar and Enterprise and quite honestly both seem just as bad or worse than Hertz.

Enterprise in particular as a huge list of fees and surcharges.
While my experience with Enterprise has been less than perfect, I do find that they have promotional rates every now and then; plus they seem to have a reasonable yearly membership rate, which many of the places do not. I generally only use the service when the promotional rates are in effect and I need for car for a few hours or so. Any unexpected fees (such as returning the vehicle to the wrong location or late) are things that are foreseeable and generally avoidable.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:57 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While my experience with Enterprise has been less than perfect, I do find that they have promotional rates every now and then; plus they seem to have a reasonable yearly membership rate, which many of the places do not. I generally only use the service when the promotional rates are in effect and I need for car for a few hours or so. Any unexpected fees (such as returning the vehicle to the wrong location or late) are things that are foreseeable and generally avoidable.
Has Enterprise car share improved their customer service? Most every complaint one has read (and there are more than a few for the NYC area) say reaching them via telephone is nearly impossible.

From what one has read about Enterprise car share they run pretty much like regular Enterprise car rental; that is you need to be on point and pro active. Before taking the vehicle inspecting for anything such as damage or unclean/safe conditions. If anything is found reporting it *before* you take possession of the vehicle, otherwise it will all be on you afterwards.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Has Enterprise car share improved their customer service? Most every complaint one has read (and there are more than a few for the NYC area) say reaching them via telephone is nearly impossible.

From what one has read about Enterprise car share they run pretty much like regular Enterprise car rental; that is you need to be on point and pro active. Before taking the vehicle inspecting for anything such as damage or unclean/safe conditions. If anything is found reporting it *before* you take possession of the vehicle, otherwise it will all be on you afterwards.
I wouldn't know. Thankfully, I haven't had to call them up for anything. Getting and returning the vehicles has gone, in my experience, relatively smoothly; my problem is more with price in general. The only time where I had a problem was with getting one of the attendants to come open the gate (he was apparently moving some other vehicles around on an upper level) . . . I called the number to the garage that was provided by Enterprise and didn't have very much success as the guy wasn't in the office, but he came down in a few minutes anyway.

Still, I have read such reviews, and acknowledge that this would be very poor customer service.

Moving on: I'm definitely proactive in making sure that the vehicle is on point before driving away, doing a thorough walk-around and checking for any abnormalities within the vehicle as well. The last time I used the service, I found a small scratch and, not taking any chances, alerted the garage attendant who made an official notation on the scratch.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:23 PM

FYI: here's a thread I stated on Enterprise Car Share in another forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: