Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 06:15 AM

444 posts, read 387,172 times

Advertisements

I live in NJ, Jersey City, work in Manhattan.

Am I wasting my time applying for housing lotteries? Has anyone every made to jump successfully?

Sometimes I get told I'm on a wait list because of my current permanent address.

I can't help that. I can qualify in every other way but never get a chance to prove that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 06:44 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,071,056 times
Forget it. In theory you are eligible for most of the lotteries but the fact is that you have almost no chance of "winning" a slot.
To begin with, 60% of the apartments are usually reserved for people who either reside in the community district where the building is, are NYC employees or are physically challenged in some way. So you start off with quite a disadvantage to begin with.On top of that ,I'm sure most of the applications from out of state people "get lost" somehow during the process.

Why don't you apply for housing lotteries in NJ ? You might have a very slightly better chance because at least your application might not get lost during the process.

Have to admit, I have a bias on this issue. I don't think applications from out of State should even be accepted so I am ok with the fact that a lot of them wind up in the shredder. Ultimately,all of these affordable housing projects are financed and kept afloat by tax credits and tax abatement that go on for decades, which means that the rest of who pay the resulting higher property taxes in NYC foot the bill.I'm ok with that for people who live here but why should we subsidize the housing expenses of people from out of state ?

I wouldn't say you have absolutely zero chance but the application process itself it quite tedious so you have to be the one who decides if it's a waste of time.Maybe you should just buy a lottery ticket every day. Chances might be better for you.

Last edited by bluedog2; 08-30-2015 at 07:02 AM..

Old 08-30-2015, 07:12 AM

I understand why people would say housing lotteries shouldn't be open to people from out of state. I don't agree with it since I born and raised in NYC. I'ved lived in three of the five boroughs and have family that lives in the state...I work in NYC, my doctors are in NYC. I moved to NJ (which has a shorter commute than some parts of Brooklyn) because I couldn't afford stay at the time.

So when you say "out of state" you make it sound like I'm in Ohio.

NJ doesn't have housing lotteries that I have found so far. And I have looked and researched.

Thank you for the honest reply

Old 08-30-2015, 09:09 AM

4,770 posts, read 6,560,761 times
If you look at it, the odds are so low for most of these lotteries because of the huge numbers of folks applying. For better or for worse, after you've filled out the application online, applying to each new development is only a click of a mouse. So in a way, it's too easy.

Even given the fact that many people apply without actually meeting the income requirements, as bluedog2 said, there are quite a few who DO pass muster. Then you have those in preferred groups that will get called ahead of everyone.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:44 AM

Thanks macnyc2003, it is easy to apply so I'll keep doing it till I don't need to.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:53 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
I understand why people would say housing lotteries shouldn't be open to people from out of state. I don't agree with it since I born and raised in NYC. I'ved lived in three of the five boroughs and have family that lives in the state...I work in NYC, my doctors are in NYC. I moved to NJ (which has a shorter commute than some parts of Brooklyn) because I couldn't afford stay at the time.

So when you say "out of state" you make it sound like I'm in Ohio.

NJ doesn't have housing lotteries that I have found so far. And I have looked and researched.

Thank you for the honest reply
Ohio and New Jersey are both out of state. It really makes no difference.

Still, housing should never be decided by lotteries.

Just make sure you bank what extra you make by not paying NYC income tax and hope one day you can move into a place wherever it is you want to be.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Ohio and New Jersey are both out of state. It really makes no difference.

Still, housing should never be decided by lotteries.
And yet it is.
Using my friends address till my lease and I move is another option. I have a year left. Since it's such a slow process and all.

Then I'll be a "resident" and paying NYC income taxes.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:54 PM

Also, there's an actor who has done a lot of writing about the process, since Actors Equity has been proactive about informing its members about various housing programs. I remember him saying that he was a resident of New Jersey when he successfully applied for a NYC lottery apartment. There are a couple of different programs, and who knows? Maybe you might get lucky. If you google Actors Equity and 80/20, you'll probably find it. What he's written is a couple of years out of date, so keep that in mind.

It's hard, really impossible, to time these things. Sometimes they do move quickly. If you get called based on a friend's address, you'll be asked to submit two prior years' tax returns and six months' worth of bank statements, both savings and checking. Also most recent 401(k) statement, your current lease, and maybe even a letter from your landlord. If these addresses don't match, you will have to explain why not. The process is geared to uncover any falsehoods, so if you used someone else's address to apply, that might get you booted out anyway. But again, who knows?

Old 08-30-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Also, there's an actor who has done a lot of writing about the process, since Actors Equity has been proactive about informing its members about various housing programs. I remember him saying that he was a resident of New Jersey when he successfully applied for a NYC lottery apartment. There are a couple of different programs, and who knows? Maybe you might get lucky. If you google Actors Equity and 80/20, you'll probably find it. What he's written is a couple of years out of date, so keep that in mind.

It's hard, really impossible, to time these things. Sometimes they do move quickly. If you get called based on a friend's address, you'll be asked to submit two prior years' tax returns and six months' worth of bank statements, both savings and checking. Also most recent 401(k) statement, your current lease, and maybe even a letter from your landlord. If these addresses don't match, you will have to explain why not. The process is geared to uncover any falsehoods, so if you used someone else's address to apply, that might get you booted out anyway. But again, who knows?
My lease isn't up till August 2016. My Landlord won't let me break it without losing my security. I will eventually move in with my friend unless I can find something on my own. So it isn't just for the sake of applying.

I'll check out what I can find about the Actors Equity.

Thanks

Old 08-31-2015, 04:20 PM

Personally, I think the odds of getting an affordable apartment are so low, I don't think it justifies moving back to NYC unless that's where you want to be anyway. Plus, unless you're actually living in the same community board as the development, or unless you're disabled, the odds are even worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: