Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 03:03 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,034,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
How gender normative of you.
I'd like to believe I live in a society where men can be raped too, and women could be rapists of other women.

I'm offensive and horrible, I'll admit. My point still stands that some people use all kinds of excuses and latent prejudice in depicting scenes that aren't going to happen.

People will commit crimes. People will be victims.
People will abide by the law. People will be safe.

If you don't feel safe on the streets of New York City- you're likely the kind who projects a sense of fear that in reality is accusations to those around you. Maybe that's a great way to be made a target.
You seem extremely confused and kind of deranged. Your post is the one that talks about women and kids. I was replying to your post, and now you're complaining my use of the word "women" when that's what YOU were talking about.

And now you've moved on to victim blaming. Yes, you are offensive and horrible. Glad you can admit it.

Quote:
I've seen a lot of women and a lot of kids out there.
The majority are not rape material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 04:35 PM

3,937 posts, read 5,042,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You seem extremely confused and kind of deranged. Your post is the one that talks about women and kids. I was replying to your post, and now you're complaining my use of the word "women" when that's what YOU were talking about.

And now you've moved on to victim blaming. Yes, you are offensive and horrible. Glad you can admit it.
I said women and children (as those who are always victimizing themselves, or being victimized by their parents), I had no named aggressors.

You were the one who claimed 'men' as the perpetrators of rape.

I'm not confused at all at my point.
Women should never feel 'less safe' than a man, or point out the importance of their safety as a woman, aside from perhaps those who a currently pregnant with child. If they do have these feelings they are either unwholesomely physically weak, or putting themselves on a pedestal no person belongs on.

I have no need to sugar coat it.
Women and children first is nothing more than an album by Van Halen.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:17 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,841,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Crassus View Post
Driving in NYC is expensive, due to tolls, and inconvenient, due to population density (i.e. traffic jams), and streets built before cars were invented. But most other big cities have population densities between 1/3 to 1/10 of Brooklyn or Queens. Driving in those cities is much more convenient than taking the subway in NYC.
I have been to small cities, and I will always prefer NYC subways over driving. For me NYC is the greatest city in the nation, and one of the world's great cities.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:50 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,257,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I have been to small cities, and I will always prefer NYC subways over driving. For me NYC is the greatest city in the nation, and one of the world's great cities.
I like driving in NYC. Much more interesting than driving the same boring route day in and day out in some small rinky dink city or suburban thruway. I have the choice of like ten different routes to get me from point A to point B, with hundreds of restaurants to stop into en route. 4 free bridges to drive with magnificent views of the skyline, Statue of Liberty, etc...

But I have my limits though. For example, if the Bronx was all I could afford, I'd probably look to move elsewhere.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:30 AM

275 posts, read 413,793 times
I think a lot of people who leave NYC for a Sunbelt suburb probably don't know what they're signing up for (the same could be also said transplants moving to NYC, of course). Here's what I mean:

1. Suburbs = good schools, right?. Not necessarily. If you want to be in a great school district, you're going to pay a lot more. At least in NYC you can at least apply to well-regarded charter and magnet schools. Plus, public school teachers are paid nothing in the Sunbelt and because of this, the quality of instruction is lower.

2. Native urbanites often underestimate how annoying lawnwork can be to maintain. Do you really want to be outside mowing the grass and trimming the bushes when the heat index is 100+ degrees? Because that's what you will be doing every week during the summer, unless you pay someone else to do it for you. This brings me to another thing people underestimate...

3. Think winters are bad in NYC? Wait till your first summer in the South. The winter is nicer, until the Sunbelt shuts down after receiving a half inch of snow because everyone drives, but no one knows how to drive in the least bit of snow. Many parts of the Sunbelt also deal with hurricanes and tornadoes.

4. So you left the city to be closer with nature? Welcome to the wonderful world of mosquitoes, yellow jackets, hornets, black widows, brown recluses and the occasional rattlesnake.

5. Found a great deal on a new house? You better love it, because you're probably going to be stuck with it. The prefab houses that dominate the Sunbelt are not usually good investments.

6. Don't like attitude of the big city? Well, many Southerners harbor resentment against Northern transplants. This depends on the city, but you may very well find well yourself an outsider if you relocate South.

Every place has its negatives, which people fail to see until living there for some time.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post
I think a lot of people who leave NYC for a Sunbelt suburb probably don't know what they're signing up for (the same could be also said transplants moving to NYC, of course). Here's what I mean:

1. Suburbs = good schools, right?. Not necessarily. If you want to be in a great school district, you're going to pay a lot more. At least in NYC you can at least apply to well-regarded charter and magnet schools. Plus, public school teachers are paid nothing in the Sunbelt and because of this, the quality of instruction is lower.
Other states have charters and magnets as well. The NYCDOE is, at best, one of the lowest performing school districts in the country. There's a reason for so many upper grade level private schools in NYC. NYC has plenty going for it- the NYCDOE is absolutely one of the last selling points for the city.

Quote:
2. Native urbanites often underestimate how annoying a lawnwork can be to maintain. Do you really want to be outside mowing the grass and trimming the bushes when the heat index is 100+ degrees? Because that's what you will be doing every week during the summer, unless you pay someone else to do it for you. This brings me to another thing people underestimate...
Lawnwork DOES suck.
Sunbelt cities do have condos and apartments, you know.
Dallas, Miami, Phoenix, Orlando, Raleigh... etc.

That's a life choice.

Quote:
3. Think winters are bad in NYC? Wait till your first summer in the South. The winter is nicer, until the Sunbelt shuts down after receiving a half inch of snow because everyone drives, but no one knows how to drive in the least bit of snow. Many parts of the Sunbelt also deal with hurricanes and tornadoes.
Most of the Sunbelt doesn't see snow.
Summers are hotter, but you're never sitting in a 95^ subway station waiting 20 minutes for a train.

There's no doubt the advent of efficient air conditioning has made the South a desirable climate to live in. It's why so many suburbs and urban areas in the north are seeing population decline. NYC requires 3 months of heating and Air Conditioning for about 3 months for comfort.

Quote:
4. So you left the city to be closer with nature? Welcome to the wonderful world of mosquitoes, yellow jackets, hornets, black widows, brown recluses and the occasional rattlesnake.
It's pretty nasty, no doubt.
There's positives of nature too though.

Quote:
5. Found a great deal on a new house? You better love it, because you're probably going to be stuck with it. The prefab houses that dominate the Sunbelt are not usually good investments.
Well, many of the area's in question aren't mature enough for that to be proven. It's quite possible many people in NC/SC will be stuck with such homes for a lifetime. However it's not really apples to apples since the likelihood of getting a 4/3 in NYC for $200K is going to happen.

Quote:
6. Don't like attitude of big city? Well, many Southerners harbor resentment against Northern transplants. This depends on the city, but you may very well find well yourself an outsider if you relocate South.

Every place has its negatives, which people fail to see until living there for some time.
I'll agree with you there- but this isn't an incredibly balanced world and some places have more positives than negatives. Also, not everyone has a full set of choices because of various health, medical, lifestyle, work related issues.

I'd have to really think a long time before considering going back to New York City on double what I make in Florida. I would certainly accept at triple. It's grim to think quality of life in NYC is -that- expensive now.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Other states have charters and magnets as well. The NYCDOE is, at best, one of the lowest performing school districts in the country. There's a reason for so many upper grade level private schools in NYC. NYC has plenty going for it- the NYCDOE is absolutely one of the last selling points for the city.

Lawnwork DOES suck.
Sunbelt cities do have condos and apartments, you know.
Dallas, Miami, Phoenix, Orlando, Raleigh... etc.

That's a life choice.

Most of the Sunbelt doesn't see snow.
Summers are hotter, but you're never sitting in a 95^ subway station waiting 20 minutes for a train.

There's no doubt the advent of efficient air conditioning has made the South a desirable climate to live in. It's why so many suburbs and urban areas in the north are seeing population decline. NYC requires 3 months of heating and Air Conditioning for about 3 months for comfort.

It's pretty nasty, no doubt.
There's positives of nature too though.

Well, many of the area's in question aren't mature enough for that to be proven. It's quite possible many people in NC/SC will be stuck with such homes for a lifetime. However it's not really apples to apples since the likelihood of getting a 4/3 in NYC for $200K is going to happen.

I'll agree with you there- but this isn't an incredibly balanced world and some places have more positives than negatives. Also, not everyone has a full set of choices because of various health, medical, lifestyle, work related issues.

I'd have to really think a long time before considering going back to New York City on double what I make in Florida. I would certainly accept at triple. It's grim to think quality of life in NYC is -that- expensive now.
Well I am gay and NY is much more progressive in lWs concerning discrimination in the basis of orientation. One could be fired for being gay or denied housing for being gay and have no legal recourse.

As for snow in the South it rarely happens as far South S Northern Florida and everything shus down. Yes they get more tornadoes and hurricanes. Yes there are lot more bugs and snakes because of the weather.

NY hS a diversity that is not there in much of the South.

Working class people flee NYC because they are easily replaced by new waves of immigrants.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well I am gay and NY is much more progressive in lWs concerning discrimination in the basis of orientation. One could be fired for being gay or denied housing for being gay and have no legal recourse.

As for snow in the South it rarely happens as far South S Northern Florida and everything shus down. Yes they get more tornadoes and hurricanes. Yes there are lot more bugs and snakes because of the weather.

NY hS a diversity that is not there in much of the South.

Working class people flee NYC because they are easily replaced by new waves of immigrants.
'Progressive' rights are a double edged blade in litigious states.
People are terminated for all kinds of reasons here, and I'm sure on occasion for the wrong reasons.
There are many personal freedoms stripped away in NYC.

You are more likely to have to deal with coop boards in NYC who can deny housing for plenty of reasons, rather than having anyone deny you housing for buying or renting a home. Those laws are federal.

Looks like the Subway doesn't make it as far as Miami or Orlando or Atlanta. You'd see plenty of diversity, immigrants, and a gay nightlife that has far surpassed what NYC has to offer.
Metrocard only gets you so far.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
'Progressive' rights are a double edged blade in litigious states.
People are terminated for all kinds of reasons here, and I'm sure on occasion for the wrong reasons.
There are many personal freedoms stripped away in NYC.

You are more likely to have to deal with coop boards in NYC who can deny housing for plenty of reasons, rather than having anyone deny you housing for buying or renting a home. Those laws are federal.

Looks like the Subway doesn't make it as far as Miami or Orlando or Atlanta. You'd see plenty of diversity, immigrants, and a gay nightlife that has far surpassed what NYC has to offer.
Metrocard only gets you so far.
I have been to Miami and I generally hate the extra roaches and hot weather. I generally like snow. Miami has no cultural or educational institutions that rival New Yorks.

Some people just don't like the Sunbelt and New York City has not emptied out and wont. And these days I do not do the nightlife that much, so I totally don't care about that.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:06 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,257,094 times
Florida is the pits. Hot as hell. Only good if extremely wealthy or have the desires (or lack thereof) to be a beach bum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City