Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 01:46 PM

3,942 posts, read 5,053,197 times

Advertisements

People can move from NYC as the working poor to an area where they are a healthy middle class elsewhere.

I don't see that trend changing too immediately.

New York and San Francisco have housing costs so far and beyond reality that effectively prohibit new middle class people from moving in. A few Niche job markets pay commensurate with the cost of living, but plenty do not.

I can't see the majority of people living in NYC making over 40K but under 70K not better off nearly anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 03:07 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,600,053 times
I've seen a large trend of people who transplanted to NYC now moving to California or back home. Most of the main reasons were they ended up getting married and either having or wanting kids and realizing a 2 or 3 BR place is not worth the moolah needed to spend here. Plus having family closer to watch said child/ren is an advantage as well since day care is almost equivalent to rent in some places.

We're lifers but looking to leave by November 2017. I checked into Dallas, but not sure I would move to TX anymore. We both like FL but agree we could never live there. Right now Arizona is looking like our best option with Utah or Colorado close behind. For us, we're just tired of the high cost of living, noise, weather and various other QOL issues.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:13 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,327,706 times
Husband and I were born and raised here but with each passing year, I am itching to move out. We both want very walkable areas that aren't insanely expensive. I also want to move somewhere with less harsh winters because the cold really takes a toll on my body. Too bad Philly doesn't differ too much temperature-wise or that would be my #1 choice. Me? I love the convenience of the city and I enjoy where I live but if my goal is to own a home here, it isn't happening. (And by home I do not mean coop, which I already have.)

I have one friend who has moved out and then back within two years. She is so happy to be back but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that she is a SAHM now and she wants to be able to walk out of the door whenever she wants with her kids and just walk to the park, walk to the store, walk to events, etc. If I was a mom, I'd still have to work so my priorities might be different.

I had two other friends move and I don't see them coming back. They aren't from here, though, and I think family ties play a role more than many people realize. You also have people like my sister who said, "As soon as I finish college, I'm moving to Florida." And she did---she hates the cold.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:12 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,829,775 times
I was in the Dutchess County Fair this weekend and overheard a few families from the NYC-metro who moved up to the Rhinebeck area and all of them were stated schools as the reason (1 family came from LI). Not sure what they do up there for a living though.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:56 AM

652 posts, read 771,782 times
I grew up in NYC from the age of 5. I lived in Washington Heights as a kid for a while and then moved to the Bronx where I grew up. After graduating college and starting my career, I purchased a 1-bedroom apt in Yonkers, NY where I lived by myself. Then I met my wife and had two beautiful little girls... But all I could afford was that same 1-bedroom apartment. So, after visiting Charlotte, NC in January 2013, my wife and I decided we wanted to leave NY area and move to Charlotte, NC. My main reason for moving was financial. I simply could not afford to give my girls the life I wanted to give them in NY. I didn't want them to grow up in a tiny 700 sq ft apartment, in an area where I'd fear for their safety and well-being because I couldn't afford the nice towns in Westchester County. I wanted my kids to go to good public schools, and have their own bedrooms, and have a backyard to play in and enjoy themselves.

So we moved to Charlotte, NC in December 2014 and spent 7 months renting a 2-bedroom apartment in what would be considered a luxury complex in Westchester. I was paying $850 a month for that 2-bedroom apartment. After 7 months, we moved into our newly built, 4-bedroom house just outside of Charlotte, in Union County, where the schools are better. I pay $1,010.00 for my mortgage here, and that includes property taxes and home insurance. I was paying $1,350 for my 1-bedroom apartment in Yonkers when I moved in December. My brother now rents my place, but he has a six-figure salary, I don't.

Anyway, that's my story. I can tell you that we are very happy here, but do miss our friends and family. We visited NYC this past May and I was very excited to be back home. Excited to get back in touch with NY. We were there for 4-5 days. By the time we were coming back to NC, I was so happy to be coming back down. I realized that I really had moved past NY and was ready to head back to NC. I don't think NC will EVER feel like home, but I think my kids will have a better quality of life here than they would have in NY.

I don't knock anyone for wanting to stay in NY. A lot of factors go into leaving the city. Most importantly, it's the individual's wants and needs that determine that move. Some people are perfectly fine living in the hood and dealing with the issues we dealt with while living in the hood. Some people like the commotion and don't like the laid-back lifestyle of other places. And that's perfectly fine. Personally, I wanted to get away from all that. I don't know anyone for wanting to stay in NY and continue to grind. Hope none of the posters here knock me for sharing my story. Peace!!

Old 09-02-2015, 07:49 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,933,588 times
Most of you don't mention that jobs that you are leaving when you leave NYC. I work for the city and vested in their pension...so I am stuck with NYC until I retire. Most complain about housing and high cost of livin and I get that, civil servants have their careers to hold onto as well. Also, salaries generally go hand in hand with cost of living...a salary in Florida for the same job will pay less than in NYC...if the job even exists in Florida.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:52 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,879,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
People can move from NYC as the working poor to an area where they are a healthy middle class elsewhere.

I don't see that trend changing too immediately.

New York and San Francisco have housing costs so far and beyond reality that effectively prohibit new middle class people from moving in. A few Niche job markets pay commensurate with the cost of living, but plenty do not.

I can't see the majority of people living in NYC making over 40K but under 70K not better off nearly anywhere else.
That's you projecting your own feelings and assumptions about other people's situation onto other people. Some people like big city living and mass transit. Some people hate to drive. Some people know how to budget.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:04 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,242,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
What I have noticed over the years is that plenty of native city folks are moving to the burbs. Burbs have better housing options, better public schools and overall better tranquility of raising a family. Most that I I know dread on not moving back to NYC. I have a coworker who has bought a house in Florida, and another is looking for a 2nd home in Florida. Most New Yorkers are moving to Florida, PA, NJ, TX, NC and GA. I know of a couple of friends in Florida, all they do is take a one or two week vacation to NYC to get their NYC fix on.

On the flip side plenty of young well heeled educated suburbanites are moving into cities for supposedly cheaper housing options, improving career or obtaining career, educational advancement, nightlife, creativity and arts etc.

Most of my native NYC friends express leaving the city, while some have moved upstate for peace and quiet or out of state in general. Transplant folks that I know love NYC even though they are a bit arrogant and have not fully explored the breath NYC except for Manhattan and immediate inner city neighborhoods that straddle along Manhattan. Transplant folks that I know love NYC due to what it has to offer that burbs and other small cities do not have. Overall it all boils down to wants needs, and general change of pace of life of an individual who grew up in the city vs those who grew up in the burbs.
NYC saw the largest mass exodus to burbs in decades past year. Most transplants who remain in Manhattan are mostly single. The single 40 year old transplant cougar out there with a large closet of shoes and handbags meeting their other leftover single friends for brunch who've seen friends marry off and have kids over the years and now gossip about how terrible that life must be and how they hooked up with a 22 year old Penn State grad last weekend.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:05 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,525,038 times
I'm a native New Yorker that moved to LA after marrying a California girl. Life is pretty good for us out here, but with the drought, the grass is definitely NOT greener.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:09 AM

30,550 posts, read 18,042,213 times
Most of the people I know who have left NYC either moved to Long Island, Upstate NY, elsewhere in the northeast, or North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia (particularly, the Atlanta area), or Florida. While many are pleased with the lower cost of living where they are now (and, sometimes, the warmer climate), just about all, in my experience, did not want to leave NYC and wish that they could have remained.

Now, I've personally "left" NYC on several extended occasions, including for college and grad school. And I'm about to leave again for a new job. While I can adapt to any environment and make the most of it, part of me will always love NYC and its diversity (whether in food, people, etc.). Still, I don't see myself establishing a full-time residence here again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City