Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 09:16 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times

Advertisements

Just to show how your stress level drops once you move to a very safe area, I'm a woman, it's about 8:15 PM, and I am about to walk my dog.

I am safety-conscious, but I am not fearful; and I am bound to see other dog walkers, strollers, and joggers while I am out there. It's a good feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 09:20 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Just to show how your stress level drops once you move to a very safe area, I'm a woman, it's about 8:15 PM, and I am about to walk my dog.

I am safety-conscious, but I am not fearful; and I am bound to see other dog walkers, strollers, and joggers while I am out there. It's a good feeling.
That's not really very different than many neighborhoods in NYC. I'm guessing you've never lived here.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
That's not really very different than many neighborhoods in NYC. I'm guessing you've never lived here.
You guessed wrong.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
You guessed wrong.
Oh well, I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt since you made such a strange comment. Don't know why you'd have to move out of NYC to find a safe neighborhood where people walk their dogs and jog at 8:15 pm.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Oh well, I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt since you made such a strange comment. Don't know why you'd have to move out of NYC to find a safe neighborhood where people walk their dogs and jog at 8:15 pm.
You sound like you are offended, don't be, because I never said that I moved out of NYC in order find a safe neighborhood. Everything is relative, and I actually lived in one of NYC's safest areas.

Quote:
I was not a native New Yorker, but I lived on the UWS for a ling time. Then, I made the jump to Southern California, mostly due to the nice weather out here.
NYC is a great city, but I'm not going to pretend that I don't feel much safer at my present location. That's an added perk of being here, and that's just life.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:00 AM

539 posts, read 523,542 times
Quote:
You sound like you are offended, don't be, because I never said that I moved out of NYC in order find a safe neighborhood. Everything is relative, and I actually lived in one of NYC's safest areas.

NYC is a great city, but I'm not going to pretend that I don't feel much safer at my present location. That's an added perk of being here, and that's just life.
I honestly feel safer in almost any part of NYC than I do in other places. Something about being around people feels safe rather than quiet deserted areas.

Honestly, maybe cities just are not for you. They certainly are not for everyone.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
I honestly feel safer in almost any part of NYC than I do in other places. Something about being around people feels safe rather than quiet deserted areas.

Honestly, maybe cities just are not for you. They certainly are not for everyone.
Oh, boy. It looks like I have unintentionally hurt some feelings.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:27 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
I've never been a woman before, but man... the way they talk about safety you'd think every human being on Earth is out to rape them.

Those are like those parent's who are hypochondriacs about child molesters in every mall or parking lot or giant hordes of them who come out at 7PM at night.

I've seen a lot of women and a lot of kids out there.
The majority are not rape material.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Oh, boy. It looks like I have unintentionally hurt some feelings.
Quote:
You sound like you are offended,.
I'm not offended at all. And I suspect the other poster has no "hurt feelings". Just accept that we found your statement odd, and move on. When people disagree with you or call you out on an opinion you hold, it doesn't mean they are "offended" or have "hurt feelings". It just means they find your opinion strange, questionable, different than their own, etc.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
I've never been a woman before, but man... the way they talk about safety you'd think every human being on Earth is out to rape them.

Those are like those parent's who are hypochondriacs about child molesters in every mall or parking lot or giant hordes of them who come out at 7PM at night.

I've seen a lot of women and a lot of kids out there.
The majority are not rape material.
I was going to agree with you til I got to your last paragraph. That's a sick opinion. Maybe you should focus on the men not being "rapist material". It takes a rapist/criminal to determine if a woman or child is "rape material". The way you stated this, you sound like you have the mindset of a rapist, if you think you are able to determine who is "rape material" or not. Disgusting.

P.S. Was this woman "rape material" Woman, 73, Raped in Central Park in Broad Daylight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City