Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 02:37 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

A Brooklyn LL is being sued for allegedly refusing to accept a tenant who receives a subsidy from NYC.

Whatever happened there is being seized upon by "affordable housing" advocates to rally their supporters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 06:51 AM

931 posts, read 801,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
A Brooklyn LL is being sued for allegedly refusing to accept a tenant who receives a subsidy from NYC.

Whatever happened there is being seized upon by "affordable housing" advocates to rally their supporters.
Do you have a link to the story?

Old 09-03-2015, 09:59 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
Do you have a link to the story?
*Bam*!

Brooklyn landlord sued for allegedly breaking NY housing law - NY Daily News

Old 09-03-2015, 11:09 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
sucks cause so many landlords/management companies dont want to accept alot of these vouchers.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:30 AM

931 posts, read 801,748 times
Unfortunately thanks to liberal politics, LLs can no longer flat out say they don't accept programs such as Section 8, LINC and others. However, that doesn't mean LLs "have to" take program tenants. LLs have to now be more savvy and discreet with avoiding program tenants so not to raise any red flags. You avoid renting to program tenants by having a strict rental criteria that most likely disqualifies the program tenant from qualifying for the apartment.

Say one of your requirements are a 700 credit score, chances are a program tenant has poor credit and does not meet the 700 credit score requirement.

Require a criminal and sex offender check on not only the voucher holder but on all the occupants who will be living with the program tenant. Chances are you may get a hit on either the voucher holder or one of the occupants which will give you the excuse not to rent to them.

Require 4x-5x of the monthly rent as savings to be shown in their bank statements. Chances are program tenants only have a couple of hundred of dollars in their account. As a businessman which landlording is, a tenant having no reserves despite having a voucher is bad business as it is guaranteed the tenant will eventually not pay their portion of the rent.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:04 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
Unfortunately thanks to liberal politics, LLs can no longer flat out say they don't accept programs such as Section 8, LINC and others. However, that doesn't mean LLs "have to" take program tenants. LLs have to now be more savvy and discreet with avoiding program tenants so not to raise any red flags. You avoid renting to program tenants by having a strict rental criteria that most likely disqualifies the program tenant from qualifying for the apartment.

Say one of your requirements are a 700 credit score, chances are a program tenant has poor credit and does not meet the 700 credit score requirement.

Require a criminal and sex offender check on not only the voucher holder but on all the occupants who will be living with the program tenant. Chances are you may get a hit on either the voucher holder or one of the occupants which will give you the excuse not to rent to them.

Require 4x-5x of the monthly rent as savings to be shown in their bank statements. Chances are program tenants only have a couple of hundred of dollars in their account. As a businessman which landlording is, a tenant having no reserves despite having a voucher is bad business as it is guaranteed the tenant will eventually not pay their portion of the rent.

So ... which part of the phrase "federally subsidized" do you find so difficult to comprehend ? Never heard of such ? No idea ?

Ever heard of "Tax Credit Allocations" ? "Cap Credits" ? No ? Nothing at all ? LIHTC ?
I thought as much.

The conservative board trolls need to do a bit of research.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:13 AM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Forget the finances. Most will be certified skells, like the trash that live next door to my girlfriend because her neighbors couldn't care less about their fellow residents. On a block of $500k+ homes, we shouldn't have to deal with white trash.

When her apartment was recently empty she laughed away a couple who tried to show her a voucher. Made me proud. Although if I recall correctly, she can legally do that since it is an owner-occupied home.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:43 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Forget the finances. Most will be certified skells, like the trash that live next door to my girlfriend because her neighbors couldn't care less about their fellow residents. On a block of $500k+ homes, we shouldn't have to deal with white trash.

When her apartment was recently empty she laughed away a couple who tried to show her a voucher. Made me proud. Although if I recall correctly, she can legally do that since it is an owner-occupied home.
And she can do so because she is not receiving enormous tax credits as "federally subsidized housing." Cannot have it both ways.

Keep in mind, though, as well - people only consider those "benefits" tenants who are a problem, as is human nature somehow. There are at least some who are not at problem at all.

I am always reluctant to generalize given particulars. I do know many decent people in this area, I also know a few losers. The same holds true of the landlords.

In addition ...? If you think the serious developers want any of these programs to go away you are mistaken. They are receiving far too many benefits, warehousing entire buildings through the smoke-screen of "programs," and so much more. They are quite invested in maintaining this dependent class, as are the social service organizations that have proliferated like a virus over the landscape in the past decade - and more so over the past five years.

Lots of money to be made in poverty. Why end it.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:24 AM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Lots of money to be made in poverty. Why end it.
Absolutely! Just the same as how large, low-wage corporations such as Walmart are the true benefactors of welfare and subsidized health care programs.

While there are certainly worthy people accepting Section 8 and other voucher programs - the elderly come to mind - in the case of an owner-occupied rental it isn't worth the hassle. The crap we go through because of the trash her neighbors rent to is enough to make me want to convince her to sell her house. Decent people should not have to deal with trash in good neighborhoods because the government will help them afford to live among us. And before it starts with some... They're both whiter than me by far.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:27 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsypal View Post
a brooklyn ll is being sued for allegedly refusing to accept a tenant who receives a subsidy from nyc.

good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: