Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 07:01 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,723,660 times

Advertisements

All us guys have heard it time and time again, "Take your pack off your back". Don't "man-spread". Yea yea, I know. But over the past year especially, it is not other guys with backpacks that have been hogging up all the space on the subway, it has been women with massive purses that hog up all the space.

I'm constantly getting poked and prodded by these massive purses. And they look at me funny when I turn around to try and give a visual hint that their bag keeps poking me in the ass.

The worst part is that because the bags/purses are typically hanging, they don't notice (or at least pretend not to notice) that the bag in question is pushing all up in my space.

Is it just me?!

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-08-2015 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: Post only your own images, not copyrighted images
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 11:02 PM

269 posts, read 285,498 times
No it's not just you. Bag ladies are just as annoying as man spreaders.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:54 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,870,167 times
haha my least favorite thing is when a skinny chick with a bag takes up 2 seats

i get a fatty taking up 2 spaces, but a skinny person?!

Old 09-09-2015, 02:09 AM

99 posts, read 143,047 times
Yes. You are 100% right about this. This trend started about 2-3 years ago when for whatever reason the following designers started making BIGGER bags.

-Michael Kors
-Louis Vuitton
-Coach
-Gucci
-Fendi
-Burberry
-D&G

I know firsthand because now the women dont hang the purse off of their elbow they literally lug it around on their shoulder!

Also most of us dont care about putting our backpacks on the floor but i dare you ask a woman to take off her purse. She cant and wont because she will not put it on the FLOOR because she just paid $1000 or more for it and no way will she put it on a dirty subway floor. She cant put it on the seat next to her either because the train is too crowded.

I witnessed this trend firsthand because my girlfriend is a purse JUNKY shopaholic. The funny thing is even though the purses got bigger they are literally EMPTY inside. Women carry a little pocketbook and some make-up. They dont NEED a bag that big but its all about fashion. ALSO the bigger the bag is , the more money it costs. It's like a bragging rights thing for females.

I thought i was the only person that noticed this !!

Old 09-09-2015, 04:18 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,305,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateNYPD View Post
Yes. You are 100% right about this. This trend started about 2-3 years ago when for whatever reason the following designers started making BIGGER bags.

-Michael Kors
-Louis Vuitton
-Coach
-Gucci
-Fendi
-Burberry
-D&G

I know firsthand because now the women dont hang the purse off of their elbow they literally lug it around on their shoulder!

Also most of us dont care about putting our backpacks on the floor but i dare you ask a woman to take off her purse. She cant and wont because she will not put it on the FLOOR because she just paid $1000 or more for it and no way will she put it on a dirty subway floor. She cant put it on the seat next to her either because the train is too crowded.

I witnessed this trend firsthand because my girlfriend is a purse JUNKY shopaholic. The funny thing is even though the purses got bigger they are literally EMPTY inside. Women carry a little pocketbook and some make-up. They dont NEED a bag that big but its all about fashion. ALSO the bigger the bag is , the more money it costs. It's like a bragging rights thing for females.

I thought i was the only person that noticed this !!

As a woman, I had no idea this was a trend. Thankfully, IDGAF and buy cheap bags.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:09 AM

993 posts, read 1,375,525 times
Where else can she put her cocker spaniel? Purse dogs need housing, too.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:20 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,497,336 times
Forget man spreaders, I wouldn't wanna sit close to them anyway. The worst are fat people that have to sit and tries to squeeze into a seat that they can't really fit.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:23 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,591,968 times
I find it annoying too as I don't see the point of doing what I see so many other women doing. They'll have their purse and then on top of that carry a tote bag. Why carry 2 freaking bags? Just either 1. Get a bag big enough to carry all your junk or 2. Stop carrying so much stuff. Even when I bring a change of clothes for the gym, I break out my bookbag and put my purse inside it.

I just downsized my bag to a smaller one, because carrying a large purse annoys me.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:41 PM

443 posts, read 432,476 times
I have one of those huge, over-priced bags (it was a gift) and I refuse to carry it around on a day-to-day basis. I don't understand what women can possibly need to bring with them to work that they need to carry a suitcase-sized bag - and I am a woman. I can fit a freaking newborn in there, what do I need to shlep with me to work?

I just proceed to take my smaller-sized, proportional bag and swing it around or jab it to these annoyingly oblivious women until they get the hint and either move or rearrange their bag placement. And as small as my bag is, I lower it to hang from my elbow and place it so it's hanging at either hip- or knee-level when the train starts to get crowded. We all want to get somewhere, make some space.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:30 PM

34 posts, read 36,665 times
Just wait a few months and in addition to their big ass purses they'll all have on their giant Canada Goose jackets like it's -10 degrees and they work outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: