Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 10:04 AM

791 posts, read 1,433,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
That is so obnoxious. One time I had a lady honk insanely behind me because there was a merge and the car to the right of me was right next to me---one of us had to stop or else we'd slam into each other. We both stopped and I waved him on ahead of me. I just turned around and gave her the finger.

I honk whenever someone seems to be rolling through and into oncoming traffic (like the other day when the guy only looked right but SURPRISE I was coming from the left---there is two way traffic moron) or almost hitting me (normal Belt Parkway thing because people seem to just rely on their driver's side mirror.) I will ever-so-lightly tap at the person who is obnoxiously on their phone and the light is green. Why pay attention to the road when driving?

The other day I was driving to work and there was an accident on the OPPOSITE side. Nothing too terrible but an accident nonetheless. Some BRILLIANT GUY decides to stop dead in the left lane on my side of the parkway---

But just like mentioned above, pedestrians and bikers are just as bad. I've had everyone run in front of my car. The best was when this drunk, older couple was trying to cross the street and they just couldn't do it.
I am so happy I don't have to drive anymore. Those road morons made me a little nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 08:07 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
I make a mistake because I have manners. Very often when I am crossing the street I will wave the car making a turn to turn while I wait. It becomes this game of: No YOU, No YOU, No YOU.
So now I don't do it anymore because it is counterproductive.

I guess the cars are afraid of getting ticketed because I was in the crosswalk first. Perhaps they think I am a police plant?

Old 09-18-2015, 08:26 AM

79 posts, read 84,758 times
I agree with the majority on this one. Anyone operating a bicycle, electronic scooter, or even those new two wheeled driving devices should have a license plate and past some sort of test before something horrible happens to them. These people are clueless about their whereabouts, or just don't care. Either way it is a recipe for destruction.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:45 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanviewer View Post
I agree with the majority on this one. Anyone operating a bicycle, electronic scooter, or even those new two wheeled driving devices should have a license plate and past some sort of test before something horrible happens to them. These people are clueless about their whereabouts, or just don't care. Either way it is a recipe for destruction.

A Driver's License indicates some degree of driving awareness and safety. A license PLATE, aka Registration is simply a money making scheme for the states and indicates nothing other than OWNERSHIP.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:51 AM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Sorry, but no pucking way. While getting around the city by transit works (at least if your going to/from areas with good transit service, aren't carrying too much stuff, and aren't in a big hurry), getting out of the city doesn't work nearly as well.

There are something like 1.8 million registered personal vehicles in NYC. I'd love to try to organize an NRA like lobbying group to get all these people push back at the city for all it's anti car measures, which are getting ridiculous. Pretty much everything the DOT has done as far as traffic management from the middle of the Bloomberg administration up till now (think bike lanes, and much more), needs to be rolled back.

Just yesterday I ran into a new turning rule change that forced me to go blocks out of my way for no good reason. I, and I'm sure a most of the other drivers in the city are sick of this $hit, and are getting to the point where were willing to do something about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Get rid of cars in the City. Only Emergency vehicles, truck deliveries, and MTA buses, and of course, bicycles should be tolerated.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:50 AM

Default Another "bikey" horror story

Get a load of this one.

Last night I'm on foot crossing Ave A at E 4th, just stepping back onto the sidewalk when some obnoxious Yuppi-Bike comes right at me. He's on the sidewalk, mind you. He goes to me: "Use your EYES." Then, a few minutes later, he passes me again, this time on 1st. He's still on the sidewalk. "Are you still f***ed up?"

So sorry, birdbrain. I didn't realize you had some kind of universal right of way. Perhaps you should switch to a TRICYCLE. Maybe, with a wittle beany on your head with a propeller on top. And, if you would like to get attention with bad manners, try your MOMMY. Maybe she'll give you a lolly.

Christ on a crutch.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:52 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
The city under the parks and recreation, in conjunction with the dot should implement citywide biking permits. I'm going to send a letter to the mayor about this.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The city under the parks and recreation, in conjunction with the dot should implement citywide biking permits. I'm going to send a letter to the mayor about this.
At least, they should outfit those "CitiBikes" with number plates. They could do that tomorrow.

"CitiBike?" For what those people pay in a month you could buy your own cheap bike, cheap enough so you wouldn't have to worry about it getting ripped off.

CitiBike. Phwui.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:35 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
Pedestrians break more traffic rules (Jay-walking and crossing against red lights.) than any other road users, drivers and cyclists included.

If any group based on rate of violations needs to be licensed then that group would be pedestrians.

only the day pedestrians are required a license to cross roads, will be day I'll support licenses for cyclists.

In the meantime they could just enforce current laws and start handing out tickets to ALL traffic violators.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:31 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
I almost got hit by a bicyclist running a red light yesterday crossing the street. Wish he did hit me.

About 95-99% or vehicle drivers stop for red lights. It wouldn't surprise me if that percentage is less then 25% for bicyclists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: