Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 06:44 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Exactly the point. I laugh at those hyper competitive yet ignorant asian parents who pave a bloody path with their sweat money for their children from Day 1 at day care with an ultimate goal of med school in mind. They overworked their children to make sure that they will squeeze through the narrow doors of an ivy to become a doctor. Many of them their own life and their childrens' early life unknowingly.
In extreme cases the kids kill themselves outright when they can't get all A+s. This isn't just Asians though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 10:33 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,330,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Hunter-Bellevue had to make changes because people were getting pissed off. They just either didn't predict or could cope with the sudden demand created by hundreds of persons wanting into a CUNY BSN nursing program (there are only a few).

HB long required organic chemistry as do many other schools. Again as stated there is a huge debate as to how much chemistry and what depth nurses need to know. Some places long went the "essentials" route and that was that. I know for a fact OC was the cause of many pre-nursing Hunter students getting bounced. A&P can also be the "make or break" science classes for nursing students.

A bulk of if not all science courses most nursing students take are called ".... for weenies" by serious science majors. A&P, microbiology, organic chemistry etc... all can and are usually taught to a different level for nursing students than say pre-med or even just chemistry or other science majors.

Problem with chemistry is many NYC high school students aren't prepared to even cope with college level general much less organic. Same thing with math including algebra.

Hunter-Bellevue had a problem in that each semester for years now the numbers of students applying vastly out-numbered open slots. You had no small number of people who completed pre-nursing with 3.5 to 4.0 GPAs not getting in on their first or even second application. Hell to the yeah some left to go to NYU or elsewhere. Why spend one or two years cooling your jets at Hunter for some vague promise you "might" get into the nursing program...

Largest problem is that more and more NYC hospitals are demanding new graduate nursing have a four year degree/BSN. Sadly CUNY only has two undergraduate BSN programs (Lehman and Hunter), the rest are at community colleges and confer an ADN degree
If you talk to most people who practice medicine, they don't use organic chemistry, physics or calculus either, but were required to take them. Obviously not ALL people but most. My degree required over sixty credits of science but I do not use organic chemistry or physics either but it was still a requirement. That's just the way it is, since they want classes to weed out people anyway.

Yeah most hospitals want a BSN---but the shortage is exaggerated. Colleges like CSI have an ASN that steers you right into a BSN. My field is the same way---hospitals will not hire anyone unless they have a BS degree but if you move to the midwest/down south, much like the ASN, the degree is readily accepted. That seems to be how a lot of health sciences are these days.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:31 AM

4,652 posts, read 4,527,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
In extreme cases the kids kill themselves outright when they can't get all A+s. This isn't just Asians though.
On the flip side, there are those who appreciate the direction. With med school, residency and fellowships now in the rear-view mirror, my wife and her siblings are pretty happy that their parents pushed them into medicine.

I kind of wish my parents pushed me into medicine as well, and if I could do it all over again, I think I would've enjoyed it.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:15 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
On the flip side, there are those who appreciate the direction. With med school, residency and fellowships now in the rear-view mirror, my wife and her siblings are pretty happy that their parents pushed them into medicine.

I kind of wish my parents pushed me into medicine as well, and if I could do it all over again, I think I would've enjoyed it.
If the person has the aptitude, talent, or interest that's wonderful and it will work out well.

If those things are missing it is a disaster to try to push someone to do something that they don't want to or maybe can't do.

I've seen some of the Asian kids Leoliu speak of get burned out from being pushed hard by a family to be in a field that they have no interest. And this is not unique to children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: