Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 06:00 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
You want a good med school if you want to be a doctor, or a BAD med school (overly high pay is a given either way.)

But Undergraduate, take what you like...it may be you last chance to think on your own. So Pre-Rapahaelite art will get you into the same med school as will BLOOD FLOW INTO THE KIDNEYS.

Why tie yourself up at 18????

Learn something before you go into stultifying JOB TRAINING.

"Hey honey, which pre-K should we choose to force little Isaac into the medical profession?"
I agree - that's why I made the comment about the (now) great doctor who was a lit major.
And accepted into a top medical school with that degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 08:06 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
IIRC and or unless things have changed many of the health science majors, "pre-med", nursing etc... all take some of the same gen ed classes at Hunter. This is why some are literally packed to the gills and very competitive for registration.

Nursing and "pre-med" students for instance all took the same organic chemistry classes.

To the poster above Hunter actually has a pretty good reputation for pre-med as it does for nursing and other health sciences/majors. Pre-med is nothing more basically than a group of specific courses. Some schools have a dedicated major, others as Hunter do not. Providing one has the proper academic background, MCAT grades and so forth you can get into medical school with a major in anything from Chemistry to French.

For some time now the word has been out that doing pre-med in whole or part at a good CUNY or SUNY college and either transferring for the final year or even just graduating is very smart. There really isn't any need to go tens of thousands in debt for a "pre-med" undergraduate degree that will only pile on top of med school. Admission to most medical schools in the USA is more about grades, GPA, test scores (MCAT), etc.... In fact if you look around you'd find many physicians got their undergraduate degrees from local or state colleges.

Pre-Med At Hunter College??? - College Confidential

Hunter College at least does have a pre-med club to maybe OP should reach out to them.

An Overview of the Premedical path - Hunter College Premed Club

Old 09-14-2015, 08:39 PM

5,105 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Providing one has the proper academic background, MCAT grades and so forth you can get into medical school with a major in anything from Chemistry to French.

For some time now the word has been out that doing pre-med in whole or part at a good CUNY or SUNY college and either transferring for the final year or even just graduating is very smart. There really isn't any need to go tens of thousands in debt for a "pre-med" undergraduate degree that will only pile on top of med school. Admission to most medical schools in the USA is more about grades, GPA, test scores (MCAT), etc.... In fact if you look around you'd find many physicians got their undergraduate degrees from local or state colleges.

Pre-Med At Hunter College??? - College Confidential

Hunter College at least does have a pre-med club to maybe OP should reach out to them.

An Overview of the Premedical path - Hunter College Premed Club

Exactly the point. I laugh at those hyper competitive yet ignorant asian parents who pave a bloody path with their sweat money for their children from Day 1 at day care with an ultimate goal of med school in mind. They overworked their children to make sure that they will squeeze through the narrow doors of an ivy to become a doctor. Many of them their own life and their childrens' early life unknowingly.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:01 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brklynnyk View Post
Yes, but honestly it would really be a hassle to transfer for Sophie Davis now. It would require me to sit out a semester of college (since they only accept transfer students with 12 credits or less) and I'd have to take the ACT and get five letters of recommendation. The reason I'm deciding between CCNY and Hunter is because I've spoken with undergrad juniors and seniors who say the biology major and bio classes are incredibly difficult in Hunter. Thank you all for your input though.
I agree that the classes are very difficult at Hunter---I am not sure how they compare to City---and getting a seat in many of the classes at Hunter=AWFUL. You have a school that could easily open another section of physics that would still be completely filled to the brim and they don't, so you will find a lot of students who get permits to take the classes elsewhere, which was something I had to do for organic chemistry. However, that could work in your favor, in that you may be able to take the class elsewhere and it might be easier.

You do NOT have to be a biology major. If you want to make your life easier, do the pre-med coursework and major in something else---you could even minor in biology, if you'd like. There was a year where the valedictorian at Hunter (who went to medical school on a full-ride, I believe) majored in psychology and did all of her pre-med coursework. Smart move.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:34 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Nursing and "pre-med" students for instance all took the same organic chemistry classes.
You're kidding. If that were the case, there wouldn't be many nurses. Ditto for the super watered down physics course that nurses take, called "nursing physics."

Old 09-15-2015, 07:37 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I agree that the classes are very difficult at Hunter---I am not sure how they compare to City---and getting a seat in many of the classes at Hunter=AWFUL. You have a school that could easily open another section of physics that would still be completely filled to the brim and they don't, so you will find a lot of students who get permits to take the classes elsewhere, which was something I had to do for organic chemistry. However, that could work in your favor, in that you may be able to take the class elsewhere and it might be easier.

You do NOT have to be a biology major. If you want to make your life easier, do the pre-med coursework and major in something else---you could even minor in biology, if you'd like. There was a year where the valedictorian at Hunter (who went to medical school on a full-ride, I believe) majored in psychology and did all of her pre-med coursework. Smart move.
I've heard a lot of bad things about Hunter and Baruch last few years. For a lot of people I don't think it's worth the extra hassle.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:42 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Quote:
I agree that the classes are very difficult at Hunter---I am not sure how they compare to City---and getting a seat in many of the classes at Hunter=AWFUL. You have a school that could easily open another section of physics that would still be completely filled to the brim...
Just curious. When class spaces are filled at California State colleges, students who really need to take that course will try to "crash a course." It works like this: you go to the first class and then beg the professor to let you in. It usually works. Is there something similar at CUNY campuses?

Old 09-15-2015, 10:40 AM

7 posts, read 40,049 times
Quote:

Can you always get a permit to take a class elsewhere? Where else would you take the class? I understand that Hunter is better for the sciences even though those core science classes fill up quickly, but I don't know whether this is the case at City College. And Wells5, I don't think that could work at CUNY, we register for all our classes online and you can't register if a class is full unless someone drops that class.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Yes, but honestly it would really be a hassle to transfer for Sophie Davis now. It would require me to sit out a semester of college (since they only accept transfer students with 12 credits or less) and I'd have to take the ACT and get five letters of recommendation. The reason I'm deciding between CCNY and Hunter is because I've spoken with undergrad juniors and seniors who say the biology major and bio classes are incredibly difficult in Hunter. Thank you all for your input though.
I'm a civil engineering major at CCNY, but I do know a lot of premed students. Over here, Bio 101 is known to be a tough class, though I've heard it eases up a little after that (though on the other hand, I know quite a few students who made it through Bio 101, but ended up giving up down the line and just going for a biology minor). I don't think it's quite as hard as Hunter's program, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Just curious. When class spaces are filled at California State colleges, students who really need to take that course will try to "crash a course." It works like this: you go to the first class and then beg the professor to let you in. It usually works. Is there something similar at CUNY campuses?
It's called overtallying. Usually, you ask the head of the department if they could squeeze you in, and they may or may not allow you to.

Quote:
Can you always get a permit to take a class elsewhere? Where else would you take the class? I understand that Hunter is better for the sciences even though those core science classes fill up quickly, but I don't know whether this is the case at City College. And Wells5, I don't think that could work at CUNY, we register for all our classes online and you can't register if a class is full unless someone drops that class.
You can take it at another CUNY school (it's called ePermit). I think you can take up to 30 credits at another CUNY school, though I'm not 100% sure. And see what I said above about the overtallying.

Keep in mind that if you're a chemistry major, you'll be taking a lot of classes at the same level of rigor as the engineering students (Calculus, Physics, Chemistry, etc). So while I'd probably lean towards Hunter, I wouldn't rule CCNY out just yet.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:01 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
You're kidding. If that were the case, there wouldn't be many nurses. Ditto for the super watered down physics course that nurses take, called "nursing physics."
No, am not kidding and Hunter-Bellevue does not graduate a large nursing class (historically around 100 opening slots but of course not everyone graduates).

Even with say one hundred or so opening slots each semester do you have any idea how many "pre-nursing" students are at Hunter? More, many, many more than are accepted each semester. Hence the crunch for getting into require pre-nursing/core required science classes. Two friends went to Hunter for pre-nursing several years ago and their organic chem classes had nursing, "pre-med", nutrition and so forth health science majors.

Hunter recently revised their chemistry department/classes so now yes, nursing students along with some others now take organic chemistry "lite" so to speak:
CHEM 12000 - CHEM 12000 (STEM) - Essentials of Organic Chemistry Lecture - Acalog ACMS

Whereas others still take the big gun: CHEM 22200 - Organic Chemistry Lecture I CHEM 22200 - Organic Chemistry Lecture I - Acalog ACMS

Not only does this move free up the real meat and bones OC classes for those doing pre-med, pharmacy and chemistry majors but it helps with a debate that has been brewing in nursing education circles for ages; how much chemistry does a professional nurse really need to know to function.

Many schools in New York and elsewhere especially four year/BSN programs require students to take organic chemistry, but many see that as over kill. Well at least OC taught to the standard level say for chemistry majors, pre-med, etc... Other places take the route Hunter has now gone; create an OC "lite" that will give nursing and health science/related majors the essentials of organic chemistry without (much) of the heartache.

Full frontal organic chemistry is one of the top classes that cause nursing students to get bounced out, right up there with nursing math/pharmacology. Worse many schools (including Hunter-Bellevue IIRC) only accept "B" grades and above. In fact some NYC hospitals at least state their "preferred" new hires that are new graduates will have a "B" or above grades in all sciences and nursing courses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: