Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 10:16 AM

7 posts, read 40,049 times

Advertisements

I originally posted this thread on "Colleges and Universities" but I didn't get any responses, probably because most people who attend CUNYs are New Yorkers. I'd just like your opinions and/or experiences in one or both of these colleges. I'm a freshman at Hunter right now and I have the opportunity of transferring to City College. I'm planning on majoring in biology in the pre-med track so which college do you guys think is better for that? Which college is better for the sciences and which has better pre-med advising/counseling?

I'd love to hear from people who have had experiences in both schools. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 02:01 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Research which school has the better faculty, and which school has the higher medical school acceptance rate - and to which schools, exactly.

I would want to say City College but I am a humanities person, not science.

Hunter is a very good humanities college. I met one of the top doctors here and he had a literature degree, Harvard I think.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:41 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Some of the Catholic colleges have a very good med school acceptance rate with small classes and lots of help and counselling. I don't see much difference between Hunter and CUNY. What is important is getting an A in both inorganic and organic chemistry and your bioscience courses if you want to be considered for admission to the best med schools. But not to worry. There is always LECOM and Guadalajara if you're not a top student.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:17 AM

129 posts, read 270,162 times
City College is good for architecture, computer science,math & engineering. Hunter is for science (biology & chemistry), media,education and social work. As far as CUNY goes, Hunter would be a better choice. Try looking into SUNY as well.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:44 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Both are fine, but IMO, Hunter is better.

The pre-med program at Hunter is VERY competitive and there are so many pre-meds there. But I don't know anyone who has tried both out.

Someone I know did their post-bacc at Hunter (after determining Columbia's pricing was way over-the-top) and she was trying to decide between Harvard and UCLA for medical school.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:46 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
I don't think it makes a difference honestly. Your med school when you get there will look at grades. Hunter and City are both CUNY's and will be looked at relatively the same. It's basically a matter of convenience and choice. FWIW I know two doctors on a personal level who did their pre-med's at City and are both successful working doctors. They work in other states.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:35 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Aren't the CUNY medical school programs (Sophie Davis and the future CUNY School of Medicine) based at City College?

Old 09-14-2015, 09:36 AM

503 posts, read 898,625 times
I took premed in Hunter, it is absolutely rigorous. Get ready to take your bio/chem/phys courses next to 800 other students. But there are plenty of resources, review sessions, tutors, to help with that. I don't know anyone who went to city for premed, so I can't comment. If you're down to get dirty and study your only worry would honestly be registering for the classes ASAP, each time it opens. It is cutthroat. Registering for the courses is equivalent to trying to order an Iphone 6 at web launch.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:24 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
You want a good med school if you want to be a doctor, or a BAD med school (overly high pay is a given either way.)

But Undergraduate, take what you like...it may be you last chance to think on your own. So Pre-Rapahaelite art will get you into the same med school as will BLOOD FLOW INTO THE KIDNEYS.

Why tie yourself up at 18????

Learn something before you go into stultifying JOB TRAINING.

"Hey honey, which pre-K should we choose to force little Isaac into the medical profession?"

Old 09-14-2015, 05:28 PM

7 posts, read 40,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Aren't the CUNY medical school programs (Sophie Davis and the future CUNY School of Medicine) based at City College?
Yes, but honestly it would really be a hassle to transfer for Sophie Davis now. It would require me to sit out a semester of college (since they only accept transfer students with 12 credits or less) and I'd have to take the ACT and get five letters of recommendation. The reason I'm deciding between CCNY and Hunter is because I've spoken with undergrad juniors and seniors who say the biology major and bio classes are incredibly difficult in Hunter. Thank you all for your input though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: