Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2015, 08:37 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times

Advertisements

Has anyone flown out of Newark lately?

I've been calling around. Car service will be $40 + $30something in tolls.

I'll probably just pay it---since I'd hate to drag my bags to the city and then get to Newark from there---but has anyone gone there lately and if so, which method? (Bus, train, etc.) I've never flown out of there before but it was worth it for a cheap/direct flight out of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 08:54 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
I've done the three NJTransit from Penn, PATH to Newark Penn and NJTransit from there, and PATH to Newark Penn with bus to the airport. I really liked taking the bus both because it was immensely cheaper ($2.75 PATH + $1.25 bus) and because it was more interesting. I'd avoid Newark Penn if you flight is at night though; when I came home from my most recent Philadelphia trip at 3a, I specifically requested my friends to drop me off at the Harrison PATH station.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:00 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Thanks Java. We're rolling into Newark around 4 PM. (That's the goal anyway.)

I know it sounds stupid but I get a lot of anxiety when it involves unfamiliar things, especially when it involves needing to be at places on time, so I'm trying to limit that as much as possible. Anxiety issues + trying to make sure I leave the country on time after being up for more than twenty-four hours straight (I work night shift) is going to make me cranky/stressed. I just realized I will probably be pretty tired---wondering if it's worth it to drag luggage around or just take car service.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:07 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
I think it'll ultimately have to do with whether you want to spend the money. NJTransit was roughly $17 (I think one way) last time I took it to EWR about a year ago and involved switching from the train to the airtran. That's probably the easiest way via mass transit. Car service will be the most convenient albeit most expensive by a high margin.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:59 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
I used to only fly out of Newark, due to my airline rewards affiliation. I actually far prefer it to JFK, much less crowded and annoying.

If you're coming from Manhattan, you can either take the AirTrain which is very easy or the Airport Express buses. Just make sure you allow yourself enough time. Obviously, the car service will be most convenient, but you may end up sitting in traffic. Depends on your timing and ultimately, how much lugging/hassle you are willing to put up with.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:15 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
$30 in tolls??? Where are you coming from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: