Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 09:26 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times

Advertisements

I have street-viewed the area and was wondering what the apartments around there rent for. The less money spent on public transit the better. I'd love to walk to work. My husband could pick up a job somewhere around there the same way he got two jobs where we are now: by my firing off very honest cover letters for him and by his fielding the calls as they come in immediately and going in for interviews and getting hired on the spot. We bring out the best in each other, but I digress. Any helpful wisdom on the housing situation would be appreciated. We have no children and no debt. We do have a super sweet cairn terrier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 10:02 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I have street-viewed the area and was wondering what the apartments around there rent for. The less money spent on public transit the better. I'd love to walk to work. My husband could pick up a job somewhere around there the same way he got two jobs where we are now: by my firing off very honest cover letters for him and by his fielding the calls as they come in immediately and going in for interviews and getting hired on the spot. We bring out the best in each other, but I digress. Any helpful wisdom on the housing situation would be appreciated. We have no children and no debt. We do have a super sweet cairn terrier.
90,000 / 40 = $2250. So, you can't live anywhere walking distance to that address. The rents are just too high.

Also, LL's will expect you to give proof of your $90,000 income before you rent the apartment. So if only one of you has a job making $45K or whatever one of you is going to make, then you will have trouble renting anything at all except maybe in the far reaches of the outer boroughs.

Sorry but this is the reality as far as I understand it.

In terms of more affordable rentals, you could look at Astoria, Queens, and Inwood in Upper Manhattan (some other areas of upper manhattan may be fine as well). However, those rentals still won't be affordable to you if you are moving in with a $45K salary.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:03 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Brooklyn or Queens, or Upper Manhattan ( Inwood, Hudson Heights etc )

Old 09-18-2015, 02:06 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Depending on the employer, you can usually deduct mass transit pre-tax from your taxes (or at least, I have been able to every job I've had).

Old 09-18-2015, 06:20 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
My husband could pick up a job somewhere around there the same way he got two jobs where we are now: by my firing off very honest cover letters for him and by his fielding the calls as they come in immediately and going in for interviews and getting hired on the spot.
Where you are now and New York are not even remotely related in terms of ease in professional endeavors.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:12 AM

110 posts, read 158,953 times
So $116 x 2 = $232 a month is a lot of money on public transit ?

What kind of logic is this ?

Okay I understand you are not from here

But u will save more if u lived far away from where u work

Do u get it ?

Old 09-18-2015, 08:32 AM

OK, I have a thing for Queens anyway. $90,000 was a conservative figure based on a foot-in-the-door-level job for him. No NYC employer he would want to work for on that level in his field would look down their nose at his Conde Nast- and Travel & Leisure-level credentials.

Last edited by Charlestondata; 09-18-2015 at 09:13 AM..

Old 09-18-2015, 08:58 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
OK, I have a thing for Quuens anyway. $90,000 was a conservative figure based on a foot-in-the-door-level job for him. No NYC employer he would want to work for on that level in his field would look down their nose at his Conde Nast- and Travel & Leisure-level credentials.
The confidence is interesting but might receive a check, as they say.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
The confidence is interesting but might receive a check, as they say.
No worries.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:40 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,762,507 times
If you want to live within walking distance of that neighborhood (Soho), your best bet is to look in the East Village, where you might find a small one-bedroom or large studio in a walk up for under $2500. The EV ranges from mildly gentrified to downright trashy, depending on exactly where you are. It's way different than anything in South Carolina. But your search will be complicated by the fact that you want to bring Fido along. Lots of landlords hate having dogs -- especially if no one is home with them during the day.

And that refreshing 20-minute walk during our lovely New York springs and autumns could be horrible in a January snowstorm or a July heat wave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: