Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 04:29 PM

61 posts, read 69,373 times

Advertisements

My spouse and I are relocating from Chicago with our 10 month old, thus new to NY. We would like to know some options of apartments around $2000 per month budget for 1 bhk with infant care facilities nearby. We would like to know about places that are about 15-20 minutes drive from Somers and upto 1 hour door to door from Wall Street. We both have cars to driving to train station is doable.

Please let me know if more information is required to help us with our search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 04:35 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
I would think White Plains would work.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:41 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,478 times
So you mean the Town of Somers in Westchester, and not Somers Street in Brooklyn. Correct?

Old 09-19-2015, 06:01 PM

61 posts, read 69,373 times
Thanks BBMW. Could you pls help me with some aparment names that are good in White Plains.

Brightrabbit- you are right. I meant town of Somers in Westchester.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:38 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
You may want to post this question in the New York Westchester forum, as those folks will be more familiar with the White Plains area. Logically, someplace in lower Westchester on the Metro North system will be your best bet.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:39 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
White Plains is not a 15-20 min. drive to Somers in the morning rush hour. That would be around 45 minutes. You're in a tough situation especially since you require infant DC nearby. My suggestion for you would be Stamford, CT. It has a lot more infant DC options than White Plains and your spouse can take the Metro North to Grand Central. BUT - it might cost more than $2K/month, and it's ~45 minutes from Somers.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:20 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
My GF'so family lives near White Plains, so I've learned it geographically a bit. But I don't know it down to the level of individual apartmento buildings / complexes. I do know there are a substantial number of apartments. This is somewhat unusual in Westchester as you get further north. The advice to cross post this on the Westchester board is on point.

And FWIW, my GF's father owned a pharmacy in Somers, and did that commute for a lot of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divyakhanna2002 View Post
Thanks BBMW. Could you pls help me with some aparment names that are good in White Plains.

Brightrabbit- you are right. I meant town of Somers in Westchester.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:58 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Somers is not more than 30 minutes from White Plains. Take 684 North to Route 35 West at Katonah as there is very little traffic in Armonk, Bedford, and Katonah headed northbound. The Wall Street commute will be longer, however, as your wife would have a 35-40 minute train ride from WP on an express, and then another 15-20 minutes to get Downtown from Grand Central and to her office, depending upon the ease of connection to the subway on any given morning, and whether or not there are delays on the Harlem Line. So, door-to-door, she would have about a 60-70 minute commute.

Hartsdale and the Edgemont area of Greenburgh (Scarsdale address off Central Park Avenue with apartments, and the Garth Road area of Eastchester (again with a Scarsdale zip code) are all other areas in the vicinity of White Plains that I would also consider to meet your needs. These would add a few minutes to the Somers Commute, depending upon which area/town, with Hartsdale adding only about 5 minutes, and Garth Road, possibly 10 minutes. So, Garth Road is closer to 35-40 minutes to Somers, but walking distance to the Scarsdale train station, and there are express trains to Grand Central that take about 30 minutes, plus the subway, putting her commute at about an hour door-to-door.

If you were to look to an area like Mount Kisco, you would be 15 minutes from Somers, easily, but your wife would be at an hour to Grand Central, plus the 15-20 minutes on the subway, so closer to 75-80 minutes door-to-door. Another option would be Croton-on-Hudson, as Croton-Harmon has express trains on the Hudson Line that get to Grand Central in about 50-55 minutes, plus the subway, would be closer to 75 minutes door-to-door. You would be about 20 minutes from Somers in Croton-on-Hudson. Katonah would put you within 10 minutes of Somers, as part of Somers has a Katonah zip code, but you would want to be in the Town of Bedford for train station parking permits at the station. Katonah is an hour from Grand Central, plus the subway, so your wife would have about an 80 minute commute. In Mount Kisco, Bedford Hills, or Katonah, you would be much closer to home via car, which may be a consideration with a small child.

In the city, you could cut your wife's commute by living in an area like Riverdale in The Bronx. It is close to the parkway system in Lower Westchester, so you would have a pretty easy drive to Somers; however, it would be about 45-60 minutes, depending upon the day and traffic at the time you were to leave. Her commute could be Metro-North to Grand Central in 20-25 minutes, 15-20 minutes on the subway, so a commute that would be about 50 minutes via rail. If she were to take the BxM13 express bus, she could have a single mode of transit commute, and it would take between 50-60 minutes to Wall Street. The return commute by bus can be affected more by traffic and weather, so she might opt for a Metro-North or subway commute on the return trip. Downside to Riverdale is it is the city, so you would have to pay city resident income tax, and the commute to Somers would be about double your preferred range. However, there are a good number of apartments in range, and you might not need to keep two cars, so that could be a plus, but you would be further from Somers.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-19-2015, 09:24 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
I am assuming that the spouse who works in Somers will be dropping off the baby and picking him or her up from day care. If that is the case, living in Westchester would be far more convenient.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:54 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,478 times
I'm wondering if you'd be better off financially to rent an additional bedroom and bring in live-in help (nanny or "au pair") instead of doing daycare. Pickups and dropoffs in winter add to the stress. You'd lose privacy but might gain some convenience. Every couple sees those things differently; there's no single answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City