U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 947 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

So here's the deal: my friend and I go to Philly and New York a few days before Christmas. This will be our third year going, so we want to experience something different. We've done Rockefeller Center, we've done Central Park, the usual things. We're hoping to explore the boroughs this year, but we need some suggestions!

What are some great places to visit in the boroughs? Hoping to hit all five, so if you've ever done/know of a lose itenarary to cover some main spots in all five, that would be awesome too! Also, would not be opposed to visiting some great spots on Long Island either.

We're college students, so our budget is a little tight! Looking for hidden gems of New York without breaking the bank!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 05:24 PM

10,642 posts, read 20,785,867 times
One suggestion is to arrange your borough tour around food. If you read food blogs, you will find some really unusual and special places in the outer boroughs, sometimes in surprising neighborhoods.

You can start here New York | Serious Eats

One non-food thing to do at Christmas would be a tour of the Christmas lights in Brooklyn Dyker Heights Christmas Lights in New York City – A Slice of Brooklyn Tours of Famous Holiday Displays / nycgo.com

Old 09-22-2015, 07:55 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,878,603 times
Check out Dyker Heights in Brooklyn. I go there every year with my camera and friends, and this year I might go more then once since I have a car now.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:34 PM

996 posts, read 948,065 times
In Queens, if you like movies and TV, go to the Museum of the Moving Image.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:45 PM

728 posts, read 496,198 times
The Christmas lights in Dyker Heights are indeed very nice and a sight to be seen, but prepare for traffic...oddly enough, this normally sleepy residential part of BK sees a lot of crowds that time of year.

In all honesty, there is not much else that hasn't been mentioned in NYC that can be considered "Christmas-y."

Old 09-22-2015, 11:14 PM

5,351 posts, read 4,023,379 times
Why not try spending Christmas in Hollis?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWcTaMw0gE8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or