Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 09:00 AM

372 posts, read 398,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by versicle View Post
Oh man, I lived in northern California and I found the people to be weird and unfriendly and suspicious, much more so than in New York City. I remember having conversations that I thought had gone one way, and finding out later that the other person had the opposite impression. Even simple interactions could be strange and misleading. I never found that in southern California. Very happy to come back to New York City after the experience of the Bay Area and points north. You couldn't pay me to live there again.
Northern California is basically rednecks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 09:36 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamMary View Post
Currently live in CA. Have always heard how nice and polite people are in California and have found the opposite to be true. New Yorkers are a lot nicer. There is something about it here that I can't put my finger on. There is a large percentage of people in California are more sensitive or insecure compared to New Yorkers. Can anyone expand a bit on this?
Well California is huge and is a world unto itself with several different native cultures within it. There's all kinds of people there. Southern Calilfornia for instance is pretty different from Northern California.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:41 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Living in SoCal right now. I live in a nice area so the clerks that work the stores and restaurant give us the RUB treatment just like my doormen did in NYC. Otherwise you don't have such close contact with people like in NYC where people are climbing all over you throughout the day. That helps a lot.

Americans in general are not my favorite people. They are the same in any state. A bunch of self entitled brats.

NY'ers will be straight out rude to you in a 3rd world manner. People in SoCal will go the " F You very much and have a wonderful day approach."
Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by RUB treatment?

Old 09-24-2015, 09:48 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by RUB treatment?
Get your mind out of the gutter !

Rub Treatment - " To give a hard time to someone"

Old 09-24-2015, 10:41 AM

138 posts, read 208,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Shuts Up View Post
Northern California is basically rednecks.
I'm not even talking about Eureka--I'm talking about Marin and Sonoma counties.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:40 AM

280 posts, read 325,787 times
I've lived all over the country and travelled outside of this country - people are the same everywhere - they are individuals and you can't say any region shares some common personality. Be a nice person as much as you can and spread the love...maybe they will be nicer to you then (that's actually how it works).

Old 10-16-2015, 07:03 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,270 times
I've never lived there, but my youngest son moved to Los Angeles at age 17 and is now 26.

Gertrude Stein, a writer, said "The problem with California is there's no THERE there."

Son noticed a few differences:

- girls identified and commented on every item he owned (or didn't own) by designer, right down to a belt buckle or the wallet he took out. He felt like he was being evaluated that way. It took some getting used to.

- a family's specific ethnic background is not of interest to anybody. Asking "where'd your family come from?" as a get-to-know-you is an EastCoast question only. Instead of hearing back answers like, "Irish...Italian..Jewish..Polish..Korean..Dominica n..P.R." in California, they'll answer "from Oregon" or "from Minnesota." The bigger deal question is: "Are you From California?" meaning: born there yourself, which divides people somewhat. So, if you're used to ice-breaking or bonding by talking about ethnicity, that topic doesn't much matter to Californians.

- Huge numbers of hours are spent alone, inside of cars, to commute or just go grocery shopping or visit a friend. It has an impact that's hard to put into words, but it's really a big difference between young adults on the two coasts. He finds visits back to NY very up-close and crowded now, brushing shoulders all day with people on sidewalks, deciding whether to make eyecontact or not, overhearing conversations on subways, and other social stimulation. In L.A. he says in the entire day he might only cross paths on a sidewalk with just 3 people, and the rest is "air." He's a very friendly person, but it sounds to me that in L.A., he doesn't need to exercise it much while taking care of his daily business until he gets to the actual point-of-contact with the other person he intended to meet. So while people might be friendly by personality there, maybe it doesn't get practiced much all day, or spark between strangers. Everything and everyone is so spread out, compared to here.

OP, does that speak at all to what you are noticing or feeling?

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 10-16-2015 at 08:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: