U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Incompetent Mayors of the last 100 years?
Bill de Blasio (2014-) 40 47.62%
Michael Bloomberg (2002-2013) 5 5.95%
Rudy Giuliani (1994-2001) 6 7.14%
David Dinkins (1990-1993) 23 27.38%
Ed Koch (1978-1989) 6 7.14%
Abraham Beame (1974-1977) 11 13.10%
John Lindsay (1966-1973) 13 15.48%
Robert F. Wagner, Jr. (1954-1965) 3 3.57%
Vincent R. Impellitteri (1950-1953) 1 1.19%
William O'Dwyer (1945-1950) 1 1.19%
Fiorello H. La Guardia (1934-1945) 0 0%
John P. O'Brien (1933) 0 0%
Joseph V. McKee (1932) 0 0%
Jimmy Walker (1926-1932) 3 3.57%
John F. Hylan (1918-1925) 0 0%
John P. Mitchel (1914-1917) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2015, 09:15 PM

784 posts, read 844,046 times

Advertisements

im really surprised Dinkins gets a lil bit of slack from the C-D crowd of all people......I feel Dinkins tried, but was overwhelmed and didnt have enough support......but he did alot for the city that he doesnt get enough credit for.....like ramping up recruiting in the NYPD.......if dinkins hadnt done that id like to see how the first few years of giuliani went considering dinkins is the reason why he had such a large police force....
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 07:00 AM

1,935 posts, read 2,127,968 times
Deblasio makes Dinkins look like a genius. Like I said in earlier post, Dinkins inherited an already messed up NYC, and made efforts to improve it. Deblasio inherited a prime NYC and is actively setting it back. F him.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:14 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,495,289 times
Koch was not a good mayor. He gets looked at with nostalgia because of his personality and because he was well-liked outside of politics but his policies were not good at all and he was very ineffective as a mayor. No way he was better than Dinkins or De Blasio. I wasn't around for Lindsay but from everything I've read and seen about him he really set the city back in some ways and in devastating fashion. My take on Lindsay was that he was pretty-boy ambitious politician with national aspirations who maybe underestimated what he was getting himself into and was completely overwhelmed by the job. Ghouliani is overrated and I hate a lot of his politics but he has actual things on his record he can stand by.

People need to not be so reactionary and really take the time to think about these things. Current things always seem worse right at the moment.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:17 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,495,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
im really surprised Dinkins gets a lil bit of slack from the C-D crowd of all people......I feel Dinkins tried, but was overwhelmed and didnt have enough support......but he did alot for the city that he doesnt get enough credit for.....like ramping up recruiting in the NYPD.......if dinkins hadnt done that id like to see how the first few years of giuliani went considering dinkins is the reason why he had such a large police force....
Yeah Dinkins wasn't as bad as people make him out to be if you really take the time to look at his admin. Not saying he was great but he was decent overall and an improvement over Koch. He happened to come at a time when the city was at a boiling point, unfortunately for him. People look at back and think of the dynamics of that time and associate him with it although it was largely not his fault.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 09-25-2015 at 07:27 AM..

Old 09-25-2015, 07:51 AM

14,780 posts, read 17,404,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Alright, forgive my naïevety (no, I'm not "really" a transplant, as I'm a Westchester native) but can someone explain the utter hate for Lindsay? Things are always a matter of perspective but why was his stint as mayor such a disaster? I'd google it but I'm at work and don't have the time to research it... Full disclosure, my boyfriend's best friend is directly related to Lindsay so I'd probably not hear any badmouthing if NYC politics came up in discussion. Then again, my BF did say his friend never tells anyone he's related to Lindsay (so maybe that's saying something right there!)
The ultimate decay of NYC and its demise happened under John Lindsay. Some people voted for him because he was very good looking and handsome. He was the last Wasp mayor of NYC.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:07 AM

14,780 posts, read 17,404,166 times
The only mayors I knew were Koch, Dinkins, Guliani, Bloomberg and De Blasio. From my perspective based on my life in NYC. I can say Koch, Dinkins, and Bloomberg are hands down the worse mayors of NYC. Guliani by far is the best and greatest mayor I will ever see in my life time as a New Yorker. I'm not sure how much of you guys on here know anything about the history of NYC, from its formation of a Dutch Colony, to a major base of Operations for the British Empire in the for the 13 colonies in Whitehall street, to being a major supporter, backer of the union, than turning a blind eye for the support of the confederacy during the Civil War. Historically, the worse NYC mayors go to Fernando Wood. Mayor Fernando Wood let the police riot against each other near City hall. Fernando Wood also had deep connections and support of gangs. Fernando as Mayor of NYC also supported the cause for the Conferderacy. He even wanted NYC to leave the union.

Next worse Mayor of NYC is George Opdyke, a Republican. He was mayor of NYC during the civil war period. As mayor he could not quill the burning and churning riot that was to besiege the city during the summer month of July 1863. This would later play out with Mayor Dinkins a 130 years later. Mayor Opdyke allowed the Draft Riots of 1863 to get out of hand, destroying millions which today would be in billions of dollars of property damage. At the time the largest riot in the country until the LA riots of 1992.

The next worse mayor is John Lindsay. John Lindsay himself never wanted to broker with unions. John Lindsay as mayor saw the white flight pick up steam. Sanitation strike, Transit Strike, poor handling of the blizzard, poor handling of the blackout, high rates and increasing numbers of IV drug users. and other nuances made him a very incompetent mayor, and led to the eventual downfall of NYC.

The worst mayors for me in the past 100 years. Lindsay, Beame, Koch, and a special nod for Dinkins.

The best mayors historically were Giuliani, Wagner and laguardia.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 09-25-2015 at 08:28 AM..

Old 09-25-2015, 08:24 AM

11,287 posts, read 16,808,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Alright, forgive my naïevety (no, I'm not "really" a transplant, as I'm a Westchester native) but can someone explain the utter hate for Lindsay? Things are always a matter of perspective but why was his stint as mayor such a disaster? I'd google it but I'm at work and don't have the time to research it... Full disclosure, my boyfriend's best friend is directly related to Lindsay so I'd probably not hear any badmouthing if NYC politics came up in discussion. Then again, my BF did say his friend never tells anyone he's related to Lindsay (so maybe that's saying something right there!)

"The Ungovernable City" by Vincent Cannato is a must read. A sober critique of the Lindsey years.

To be honest and in my humble opinion, John Lindsey is the politician who President Obama most resembles.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:06 AM

3,039 posts, read 5,732,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The only mayors I knew were Koch, Dinkins, Guliani, Bloomberg and De Blasio. From my perspective based on my life in NYC. I can say Koch, Dinkins, and Bloomberg are hands down the worse mayors of NYC. Guliani by far is the best and greatest mayor I will ever see in my life time as a New Yorker. I'm not sure how much of you guys on here know anything about the history of NYC, from its formation of a Dutch Colony, to a major base of Operations for the British Empire in the for the 13 colonies in Whitehall street, to being a major supporter, backer of the union, than turning a blind eye for the support of the confederacy during the Civil War. Historically, the worse NYC mayors go to Fernando Wood. Mayor Fernando Wood let the police riot against each other near City hall. Fernando Wood also had deep connections and support of gangs. Fernando as Mayor of NYC also supported the cause for the Conferderacy. He even wanted NYC to leave the union.

Next worse Mayor of NYC is George Opdyke, a Republican. He was mayor of NYC during the civil war period. As mayor he could not quill the burning and churning riot that was to besiege the city during the summer month of July 1863. This would later play out with Mayor Dinkins a 130 years later. Mayor Opdyke allowed the Draft Riots of 1863 to get out of hand, destroying millions which today would be in billions of dollars of property damage. At the time the largest riot in the country until the LA riots of 1992.

The next worse mayor is John Lindsay. John Lindsay himself never wanted to broker with unions. John Lindsay as mayor saw the white flight pick up steam. Sanitation strike, Transit Strike, poor handling of the blizzard, poor handling of the blackout, high rates and increasing numbers of IV drug users. and other nuances made him a very incompetent mayor, and led to the eventual downfall of NYC.

The worst mayors for me in the past 100 years. Lindsay, Beame, Koch, and a special nod for Dinkins.

The best mayors historically were Giuliani, Wagner and laguardia.
This was a great post. You've been repped. There was some things in here than even I didn't know as a lifelong native and I know my NYC history. I agree wholeheartedly with the best mayors. Laguardia was probably the best. Giuliani is definitely top 3 in my estimation. Both of these guys were able to take NYC from the lowest of lows and move them forward.

I also agree with those that say Dinkins wasn't that bad as he wasn't given a choice for his policies to work. That said, he wasn't given a chance because NYC was arguably at it's worst when he was mayor and race relations were horrible when he was mayor. While he started to do some good things in the city towards the end of his tenure, there was enough bad during that time for him to be top 3 on the negative list.

Lindsay and Beame set the city back tremendously which is why they get the edge over Dinkins IMO. With Koch, things weren't great but at least with Koch you felt as if it was more the job being slightly more than he could handle as opposed to him deliberately ignoring big issues and intentionally screwing the city over as was the case with Lindsay and Beame...

Old 09-25-2015, 09:31 AM

23,247 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I think this poll may be a bit flawed. I don't think most posters will have much of an opinion of a mayor who was in office during the 1920's. Also, the terms of all previous mayors have finished and therefore we have more of a historical perspective on the effects of their policies. Obviously, we don't have that with DeBlasio yet.
This is true. Under mayor John Lindsay the city lost one million jobs and Lindsay substantially expanded both welfare and public housing. His policies are a big reason why NYC ended up in the place where it was at in the late 80s and early 90s.

But this was decades ago so the knowledge of him among people here isn't there. Under Beame the city was so broke it stopped transit expansion (parts of the Second Avenue Subway were under construction and we could already have it if Beame had been better able to get a handle on NYC finances).

Old 09-25-2015, 09:48 AM

7,125 posts, read 5,496,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I can say Koch, Dinkins, and Bloomberg are hands down the worse mayors of NYC.
still butt-hurt you couldn't afford that condo in village in the prosperous Bloomberg years I see
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or