U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Incompetent Mayors of the last 100 years?
Bill de Blasio (2014-) 40 47.62%
Michael Bloomberg (2002-2013) 5 5.95%
Rudy Giuliani (1994-2001) 6 7.14%
David Dinkins (1990-1993) 23 27.38%
Ed Koch (1978-1989) 6 7.14%
Abraham Beame (1974-1977) 11 13.10%
John Lindsay (1966-1973) 13 15.48%
Robert F. Wagner, Jr. (1954-1965) 3 3.57%
Vincent R. Impellitteri (1950-1953) 1 1.19%
William O'Dwyer (1945-1950) 1 1.19%
Fiorello H. La Guardia (1934-1945) 0 0%
John P. O'Brien (1933) 0 0%
Joseph V. McKee (1932) 0 0%
Jimmy Walker (1926-1932) 3 3.57%
John F. Hylan (1918-1925) 0 0%
John P. Mitchel (1914-1917) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 10:26 AM

2,228 posts, read 2,950,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
Amazing how many people either fail or refuse to understand this. It's fed policy that is mainly at the root of the widening wealth gap. That said, effective municipal policy may act to mitigate those effects to some degree.
Not to go off the rails but your 1000% correct. Amazing how a really left wing guy guy Obama has actually contributed to the widening pay disparity through his policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 05:07 PM

328 posts, read 230,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Not to go off the rails but your 1000% correct. Amazing how a really left wing guy guy Obama has actually contributed to the widening pay disparity through his policies.
It's not really amazing when you consider that left-wing policies tend to fetter the private sector with high taxes and burdensome regulations, which suppress business activity. That lowers demand for labor, which means lower wages and fewer opportunities for those at the bottom.

In addition, the Federal Reserve's easy money policy supported by the Left tends to inflate asset prices and benefit first receivers of newly-created money, which benefits people at the top.

Then the Left blames this on "capitalism" rather than their own statist policies and demands further intervention into the economy. And so the cycle continues until it turns into a Greece or Venezuela type situation.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:37 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,868,226 times
lol @ all the votes Deblasio has. He blows but I wouldn't consider him the worst.

John Lindsay gets my vote. Many problems that this city has that were primarily his fault are still in effect, over 40 years after he finished his term.

Honestly I always felt like Dinkins was just the wrong mayor at the wrong time. He probably would be much better if he was mayor of NYC today then in the early 90s when the city was out of control. I would prefer him over Deblasio.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:39 AM

3,039 posts, read 5,736,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I'll go easy on you because it's obvious that math isn't your strong point. So let's just boil it down in words you can understand;

Bloomberg mayor crime going down, DeBlasio mayor crime going up

Nobody expects 0 crime, but we should expect for things NOT to get worse, or god forbid even get better. But oh yeah I forgot, because of bloomberg you can't find a cheap apartment anymore. All his fault, what a bum
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...en-us-city.pdf

Overall crime numbers 2015 up to this point - 73,937 (3.35% reduction in crime over last year)
Overall crime numbers 2014 up to this point - 76,496
Also, if we compare Bloomberg's last year in office in 2013 to DeBlasio's current numbers in office there has been a 6.26% reduction in overall crime

But again, DeBlasio is fixing the numbers right? And if he is, he's the only one that's been accused of doing so right?

Old 09-28-2015, 02:56 PM

4,139 posts, read 5,953,382 times
Worst mayor in living memory has to be Abe Beame, who got my vote. The man who was an accountant and former city comptroller was elected on the slogan of "He Knows The Buck". About a year later the city was bankrupt and begging the Feds for a bailout.

I don't think you can get more incompetent than that.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:12 PM

14,875 posts, read 17,437,255 times
I had to rep the above poster, sadly I was born a decade later. I don't understand the hate and animosity of De Blasio. The city itself is still functioning. However the only mishap that made me turn a wary-eye against De Blasio was the Legionnaires outbreak here in the South Bronx along with his poor timing response.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:43 PM

785 posts, read 845,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
John Lindsay has to be the worst mayor in NYC history. Crime skyrocketed, and the city went to hell under his watch. Interestingly, he was elected as a Republican. One has to wonder how history would have been different if William F. Buckley Jr. were elected in 1965 rather than John Lindsay. That would make for an interesting alternate history novel.

David Dinkins was also a disaster. I remember the city being in chaos during the Dinkins years--all sorts of lunatics and drug addicts roaming the streets and lots of violent crime. He was elected primarily because he was a Democrat in an overwhelmingly Democratic city and because of the novelty of him being the first black mayor of NYC. Unfortunately he was completely incapable of governing the city. He beat Giuliani in the 1989 mayoral election only to lose to him in 1993. Another interesting alternate history: what if Giuliani had won in 1989. Certainly some people who were murdered between 89 and 93 would now be alive.
if giuliani got elected in 89 instead of dinkins a race riot wouldve broke out in his term esp the way he used NYPD in the ghetto. Giuliani and the NYPD more or less criminalized EVERYONE in the ghetto, criminal or law abiding. With the already high racial tensions, extreme hardships of daily ghetto life and police abuse incidents that were already going on......New York City wouldve had a ferguson type riot....or worse, like the rodney king riots in 1992. to be frank its a miracle race riots didnt break out after the amadou diallo verdict.....

Ironically I hear one of the reasons Dinkins was elected was that he was good at mediating racial tensions.......I heard NY almost exploded after the Rodney King verdict was announced....apparently he talked them out of it.....

Old 09-28-2015, 05:48 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,724,644 times
The problem with Guiliani is the 2 things he's most known for are completely overrated.

1.) Violent crime in NYC and America period was trending downward before he became mayor. Even cities that were not using his broken windows theory experienced declines in violent crime in the mid to late 90's.

2. 9/11. Omg he showed up, WTF was he supposed to do? Stay at home and watch sopranos? I'll never understand why mayors,governors, presidents get so much credit for being at the scene of disasters. That's what you are here for

Old 09-28-2015, 07:12 PM

18,304 posts, read 11,700,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
The problem with Guiliani is the 2 things he's most known for are completely overrated.

1.) Violent crime in NYC and America period was trending downward before he became mayor. Even cities that were not using his broken windows theory experienced declines in violent crime in the mid to late 90's.

2. 9/11. Omg he showed up, WTF was he supposed to do? Stay at home and watch sopranos? I'll never understand why mayors,governors, presidents get so much credit for being at the scene of disasters. That's what you are here for

New York City and in particular RG escaped heavy criticism and possible legal action because of the nature of 9/11/01. Who had the bright idea to store all that diesel fuel in one of the Twin Towers? The petrol was there because Rudy G. moved NYC's "command center" to the building and their back-up generators required a source of fuel.

Besides the airlines movement was quick to insulate NYS and NYC from any liability regarding 9/11/01.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:15 PM

18,304 posts, read 11,700,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
if giuliani got elected in 89 instead of dinkins a race riot wouldve broke out in his term esp the way he used NYPD in the ghetto. Giuliani and the NYPD more or less criminalized EVERYONE in the ghetto, criminal or law abiding. With the already high racial tensions, extreme hardships of daily ghetto life and police abuse incidents that were already going on......New York City wouldve had a ferguson type riot....or worse, like the rodney king riots in 1992. to be frank its a miracle race riots didnt break out after the amadou diallo verdict.....

Ironically I hear one of the reasons Dinkins was elected was that he was good at mediating racial tensions.......I heard NY almost exploded after the Rodney King verdict was announced....apparently he talked them out of it.....
Just as some persons are foaming at the mouth over Obama being POTUS a segment of the NYC electorate was *NOT* happy with David Dinkins being mayor of NYC. Unlike Obama however that group succeeded in seeing that David Dinkins only had one term in office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or