U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-29-2008, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,992 times
Default Seeking help on the best way to get from NH to NYC

Hello, I am planning on bringing my daughter and a friend to NYC to see a Sunday matinée of Spring Awakening and I am seeking information about the best way to make the trip. I have considered driving from NH to New Haven CT and taking the train (Amtrak), but I am wondering if any of the subway lines have parking lots at the end of line stations so I could drive to one and then take the subway to the theater. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 10:00 AM

10,967 posts, read 13,855,672 times
Well, coming down I 95 there is the 6 train at Westchester Ave and Bruckner blvd in the Bronx, but I don't know of any lots in the area

There is the D train at 206th and Bainbridge Ave (off I 87) or the 4 line at Jerome Ave and you could use the Montefiore Hospital parking lot (don't know the fees) or even find free street parking

Where I live also near I 87 you have the 1 train on broadway and 242 street but I don't know of any garages other than further down the line

But unless you personally look forward to riding through very urban areas, it just may be more of a hassle than it's worth. And you'll only be 10-15 miles from midtown so you might as well just drive in to midtown and park for all the trouble

Also keep in mind that if you do choose to use the end of line stations, just know that it's not like the Atlanta or Washington DC "metro" experience with clean trains whisking people from the suburbs to downtown. You may be dissapointed.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:06 AM

2,954 posts, read 7,374,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccma07 View Post
Hello, I am planning on bringing my daughter and a friend to NYC to see a Sunday matinée of Spring Awakening and I am seeking information about the best way to make the trip. I have considered driving from NH to New Haven CT and taking the train (Amtrak), but I am wondering if any of the subway lines have parking lots at the end of line stations so I could drive to one and then take the subway to the theater. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
If you're looking for a big lot or garage at the end of the line as at Alewife or Wellington, the answer is pretty much no, and it would be a long ride from the end of any subway line in the Bronx.

New Haven seems like a good bet but it's much more economical to take Metro North from there rather than Amtrak. Amtrak is a bit quicker but not by much. The Metro North train arrives in Grand Central, which is a great NYC experience in itself. You can grab a cab from there (just a few blocks) or take the shuttle (gray "S" on the subway sign) at the Vanderbilt Avenue side of Grand Central. The shuttle runs back and from Grand Central to Times Square. It's a 2 minute ride and gets you within a few blocks of the theatre.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:09 PM

757 posts, read 2,186,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
The Metro North train arrives in Grand Central, which is a great NYC experience in itself. You can grab a cab from there (just a few blocks) or take the shuttle (gray "S" on the subway sign) at the Vanderbilt Avenue side of Grand Central. The shuttle runs back and from Grand Central to Times Square. It's a 2 minute ride and gets you within a few blocks of the theatre.
Yes, take Metro North and plan on at least a few minutes to savor Grand Central.

My choice of transportation between Grand Central and the Eugene O'Neill (49th West of Broadway) is the M104 Bus. When you exit to 42nd St., it stops on that side of the street. Make sure you don't take the M42, which continues to the far West Side. At Eighth Avenue the M104 turns uptown. You can ask your driver to call out your stop.

For three people, though, it probably is worth paying a little more for a taxi.

Have a great time!

Old 01-29-2008, 03:19 PM

67 posts, read 209,654 times
Easily the best way is to hop on a Metro North train to Grand Central. If you want to cut the time on the train down a little you can TRY driving down I-95 and picking up the train at a later stop like Bridgeport, Fairfield, Stamford but you run the risk of hitting traffic on I-95 and finding parking at stations past New Haven can be hit or miss sometimes.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:05 PM

214 posts, read 688,811 times
Why not just drive all the way to NYC and park there. It's cheaper and more convenient. If you just plan to go on a Sunday, with no overnight, I'd rather drive all the way to NYC. The traffic won't be too bad also, it's a Sunday, so I wouldn't worry about it.

The one-way off-peak price of Metro North from New Haven to Grand Central is $14.00. Since it's you, your daughter, and a friend, that's $14 x 3 = $42 for the one way trip, and $84 for the round trip on the train! You can easily find parking for the day (or for 2 days, even!) for less than that.

You'll also save time. The train is only once every hour! You have to adjust your schedules to the schedules of the train.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:57 AM

288 posts, read 765,823 times
Many times I've parked in Fairfield, Milford or Westport and taken the Metro North into Grand Central. Very convenient.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:37 AM

if you arrive early enough you may be able to get free parking on the streets west of Eighth Avenue in the upper 40's. In the AM I always park on 48th street between 9th and 10th, even the block between 8th and 9th has spots, but less so than the former. You can try 47th, the avenues like 9th and 10th near Hell's Kitchen park usually have spots. if you can get a spot there the walk to the Eugene o neill would only be a few minutes

There is also reasonable parking at the Skyline Hotel on 10th Ave between 49th and 50th streets. It's always worked out well in the past

Old 01-30-2008, 05:38 AM

of course the above refers to Sunday when you don't have to feed the meters and there is no alt side of the street parking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City