U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How cohesive is the Tri-State compared to the DMV?
More cohesive 1 11.11%
Less cohesive 8 88.89%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 09:05 AM

9,836 posts, read 21,567,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'm in NJ all the time, as is most of SI as evidenced by the flow of traffic over the bridges every single day and especially on the holidays. Staten Islanders go to NJ for beaches in the summer, not Coney Island or LI, etc.

Anyone who lives in Staten Island and doesn't take advantage of the cheaper gas and sales tax in NJ is either a fool or doesn't own a car. I paid $1.89 for gas yesterday. With the discount we get on the tolls, I'd have saved money even if that was the only reason I had crossed the bridge.

I can honestly say I don't know a single person who doesn't regularly go to NJ to shop, eat, visit people, or whatever else. Bluedog is dead wrong about SI.

As to the poll question, it doesn't make sense. Cohesiveness has nothing to do with the free flow of people back and forth between the areas. That's a much more complicated matter probably better explained via sports fandom than any other single attribute.
Well that would make sense since SI is very different from the rest of NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 09:33 AM

27,656 posts, read 24,911,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Unless you commute between states for most people life is not like that at all in this area. As a matter of fact people try to do as much as possible near their place of work or their job.

Myself i'm in westchester occasionally for some shopping (warehouse stores, etc)
So how great of a deterrent/psychological barrier do you find the bridges/tunnels//tolls/traffic into New Jersey to be? Obviously, they are not impenetrable barriers, but would they deter you from checking out a restaurant over tonight?

Old 09-24-2015, 10:24 AM

9,836 posts, read 21,567,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So how great of a deterrent/psychological barrier do you find the bridges/tunnels//tolls/traffic into New Jersey to be? Obviously, they are not impenetrable barriers, but would they deter you from checking out a restaurant over tonight?
I don't mind going to jersey but the bridge on the way back into NYC is a big deterrent. Not so much the cost. The cost is okay but there is usually terrible traffic on the way back into nyc. Also maybe the only thing I used to make an effort to go to Jersey retail wise was ikea but with the Ikea in red hook it's not necessary. I occasionally go over to jersey to meet friends or family.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:41 AM

7,951 posts, read 6,525,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How much does gas cost on Staten Island?
Currently $2.65 or so.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Well that would make sense since SI is very different from the rest of NYC.
Thank god!

Old 09-24-2015, 12:13 PM

27,656 posts, read 24,911,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Currently $2.65 or so.
So you basically need to buy about 13 gallons of gas to break even.

$2.65 - $1.89 = $0.76

$0.76 x 13 = $9.88

Goethals Bridge Toll (off-peak) = $9.75

Do you drive an SUV or pickup truck?

Old 09-24-2015, 01:09 PM

SUV.

But with the PA bridge tolls plan I pay $6.00 as long as I cross the bridge 3 times per month, which I always do between family, shopping, entertainment, and just doing random things in NJ instead of NY. Even going upstate I use one of the PA bridges so those trips count also. When I worked in Manhattan it was very easy because I would just come home through NJ one day a week so I could get gas. The trip home was sometimes quicker through NJ even with the gas stop, especially on weekends.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:26 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,113,252 times
Tolls and traffic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City