Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 06:17 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Hey, whatever.
I feel the same way. Nobody forced them to move there.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 06:18 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I don't. I care about Americans being told they can't do something, own something, or watch something that includes an inanimate object simply because the outrage industry has determined it to be "racist".
Well, the "outrage industry" - not a bad terminology - didn't. A lot of black people did and they have as much say as anyone. In fact, here, I would say - more.

Second, plenty of Americans are happy doing all sorts of things that are less than acceptable. It cannot work.

And this grows worse as we speak. We do not have the homogeneity to allow full freedom.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I feel the same way. Nobody forced them to move there.
Nor, once landed, were they forced to attend community meetings and give speeches about how everyone should be doing things here. I witness another every day. Identical entitlement and so little else.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:54 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Funny thing is, this will just create more local income inequality in Dumbo. Upper middle and middle class folks will just look elsewhere.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:38 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Well, the "outrage industry" - not a bad terminology - didn't. A lot of black people did and they have as much say as anyone. In fact, here, I would say - more.

Second, plenty of Americans are happy doing all sorts of things that are less than acceptable. It cannot work.

And this grows worse as we speak. We do not have the homogeneity to allow full freedom.
If displaying a flag (or watching an old show that includes it) is sufficient cause for restricting one's freedom, you are setting an extremely low bar to limit individual rights. The US was never meant to have a government or general society in which perceived slights, no matter how minor, are handled in this manner.

Whether in the name of false charges of racism or some other perceived offense, that is an amazing amount of power ceded to the government over the people. I find it scary, though typical nowadays, that anyone could view this country in such a light.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

Whether in the name of false charges of racism or some other perceived offense, that is an amazing amount of power ceded to the government over the people. I find it scary, though typical nowadays, that anyone could view this country in such a light.
Of course it's scary. This does not change the fact that we do not have the cultural or social homogeneity to allow fewer laws and regulations.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:38 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,971,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
[/b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu
It is not complicated. Look at obama, he identifies himself 100% as black, although his black ancester contributed nothing more than a sperm to his upbringing.

Also in the us, if you have tiny fraction of minority origin at 1/128th or less that is even invisible to conventional genetic test, you are officially a minority, Hispanic or black, even if you look Lily white.

That's totally not true, people will consider you what race you look like to them

There are a lot of white people in the South with a small amount of black ancestry but nobody considers them black

The "official" one-drop rule applies to blacks, but I made up with the hispanic story.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:42 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
The "official" one-drop rule applies to blacks, but I made up with the hispanic story.
It was never really a one drop rule, it was a 1/8th black ancestry rule and later became a "visible black ancestry rule"

Old 09-30-2015, 07:01 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
No one can tell if someone has a drop of Black in them by looking at them though.

Johnny Depp found out via family records and dna test that he has some Black ancestry, but nobody considers him Black. Heather Locklear is from a group that is mixed European, Native American, and African and nobody considers her Black.

It's effectively based on what you look like.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:04 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Come to think of it many Hispanics like J.Lo are actually part Black but nobody considers them or refers to them as Black (though she clearly isn't 100% white). She would probably just refer to herself as Puerto Rican or Latina.

So no there is no such thing as an one drop rule in contemporary America as many Hispanics clearly defy this, and so do a number of whites who go public with distant Black ancestors (Johnny Depp, Heather Locklear).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City