U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-06-2015, 10:56 AM
 
119 posts, read 76,128 times
Reputation: 84

Advertisements

I don't think it should be against the law but I can appreciate that many, many people are offended by the sight of the Confederate flag, which by the way one sees fairly regularly down south. The people who fly these flags are almost certainly the same ones that will argue endlessly that the Civil War was really about states' rights...right.

[quote=Airborneguy;41383189]If displaying a flag (or watching an old show that includes it) is sufficient cause for restricting one's freedom, you are setting an extremely low bar to limit individual rights. The US was never meant to have a government or general society in which perceived slights, no matter how minor, are handled in this manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2015, 12:01 PM
 
23,265 posts, read 16,104,540 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
You asked him to provide links proving that rich foreigners are more comfortable in London as opposed to NYC. All he said, was provide the links to support his statement. Something you failed to do and frankly it's something you fail to do quite often.

British newspapers say that rich foreigners prefer living in London.

Hmmmm.

Might there not be bias?

NY newspapers tend to claim NYC is the greatest at everything.

It's no proof and entirely irrelevant to the conditions of poor minorities here. Actually if London is so great and he has so much money he should spend it all relocating housing project people from NYC to London, where they will thrive in London's magical atmosphere.

Actually a lot of those links seem to focus on Africans too. He provided no proof wealthy foreigners overall prefer London to New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2015, 12:11 PM
 
23,265 posts, read 16,104,540 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
I have obviously ruffled a few feathers, but here

'African century' hits London's fanciest districts - CNN.com

Rich, urbane and entrepreneurial: meet Africa

Wealthy Africans spending almost £4million on London property every WEEK | Daily Mail Online

Also show me any data where Africans are investing up to 6 million USD a week in prime real estate in NYC?

Also investing in a country very is different to choosing to live there. My folks have interests in West Africa, but by and large I don't live there.

Data on foreign involvement in the London market is here

http://pdf.euro.savills.co.uk/reside...dlondon-lr.pdf 2013

http://pdf.euro.savills.co.uk/reside...-in-london.pdf 2014

You may not like it, but racial problems in the US are clear and the world has taken note.

Why do you think my own parents who owned a home in Beverly Hills since the 80s, still sent me to be educated in Britain?

Lastly attempts to pass off recent riots in the UK which were 50% white and 49% black as race riots is laughable

Show me how many Caucasians were out rioting alongside black kids in Baltimore or Ferguson? as I didnt see any.

The US is sadly still polarised by race as the Hipster debate shows and anything else is denial. Also if my points weren't salient why haven't Caucasian posters rebutted them, because they ring true and they know it!
Not all wealthy foreigners are Black. In fact, I'd wager to say not most. I'd say there are likely far more wealthy Asians and even South Asians than Africans.

Any evidence Asians have the same issues with the police as Blacks? Certainly nowhere to the same extent, and wealthy Asians not only invest but they do business with and live in certain American cities in substantial numbers.

I don't really care about your parents or why they do what they do. Entirely off the subject of this thread.

The top performing schools in this city are predominately Asian, so again Asians don't apparently feel that oppressed in the US. You've a heavy Asian presence at universities here (wealthy foreigners). That's on top of their large investments in NYC real estate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2015, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Ridgewood, NY
3,039 posts, read 5,739,031 times
Reputation: 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
British newspapers say that rich foreigners prefer living in London.

Hmmmm.

Might there not be bias?

NY newspapers tend to claim NYC is the greatest at everything.

It's no proof and entirely irrelevant to the conditions of poor minorities here. Actually if London is so great and he has so much money he should spend it all relocating housing project people from NYC to London, where they will thrive in London's magical atmosphere.

Actually a lot of those links seem to focus on Africans too. He provided no proof wealthy foreigners overall prefer London to New York.
You asked him for links. He provided those links. He then asked you to provide links proving that this holds true in NYC as well. You haven't been able to do so. Everything you say without any evidence to back it up is simply conjecture. For the record, he's not the first person to say that race relations are better in London than overall here. Over here, we obsess about race. Both parties are guilty of this. One party exaggerates the issues with a particular race, the other party blames one race for the others troubles. Green is not the only color that drives RE. Things have gotten significantly better over the years but there are still issues that need to be resolved...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2015, 01:03 PM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,579,683 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It certainly goes take race into account.

What white ghettos do we have in the city? Be serious.
Of course it does, I'm skeptical of people who obsessively talk down about "ghetto" things but claim it's not racial
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2015, 04:29 PM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,886 posts, read 7,839,277 times
Reputation: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
No experience ever? But you know nothing about me just like i know nothing of you. However, just based on your comments I assume you have little conversations with the black community. Yes, I'm sure you interact but I'm positive conversations and close relationships are not developed.
Really ! That is quite interesting. Such insight.

What a perceptive individual you must be.

Thank you so much for upholding definitions of the real "black community."
I hope my children grow up to be just like you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2015, 04:32 PM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,886 posts, read 7,839,277 times
Reputation: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
You asked him for links. He provided those links. He then asked you to provide links proving that this holds true in NYC as well. You haven't been able to do so. Everything you say without any evidence to back it up is simply conjecture. For the record, he's not the first person to say that race relations are better in London than overall here.
And in fact ? I would second this, and from experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2015, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
7,910 posts, read 6,491,271 times
Reputation: 7103
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Of course it does, I'm skeptical of people who obsessively talk down about "ghetto" things but claim it's not racial
And I've grown bored of people who are obsessed with race and find racism in every little aspect of (white) life. It's truly something that exists to humor me from now on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2015, 07:36 PM
 
6,963 posts, read 5,453,180 times
Reputation: 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
As you have acknowledged yourself, that was then and this is now. On matters like this, I am sorry but London is miles ahead...

early

Is it really? In the UK 67% of adult males of Caribbean descent are in the labor force. In the USA The same group have labor force participation of 77%.

45% of young UK blacks in their low 20s are neither in school, training or in employment. That stat is not better than the USA.

In the UK blacks are MORE likely to be arrested, when compared to whites, than is the case in the USA.

You will concede that the UK has a large WHITE under class, so that one will expect that rates of crime among urban whites in the UK should be HIGHER than it is in the USA. Yet black Brits are MORE likely to be arrested, when compared to their white peers, than is the case in the USA.

Given that the USA runs a prison industrial complex that is a SAD indictment of the UK in terms of how the legal system treats its blacks.

So here is the deal, when asked why they think that life in the UK is better ALL that British blacks can raise is the fact that they have white girl friends. They CANNOT prove that black Caribbean or Africans who migrated to that country are better off. And to make a fair comparison COMPARABLE communities must be compared, as this controls for cultural and other issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2015, 07:56 PM
 
6,963 posts, read 5,453,180 times
Reputation: 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

The high incarceration rate of Blacks,

The fact that Blacks have to even move to London or New York shows the power dynamics at play. ).

When one compares the rates of arrests of blacks in the UK relative to whites, with that of the USA blacks in the UK are MORE likely to be arrested. Young British blacks have the SAME problems that young American blacks have. I find it funny that a British blacks will engage in chatter that the UK is miles ahead.

A FACT however is the openness of the USA allows immigrants to achieve more upward mobility in the FIRST generation, than is possible in the UK.

The USA has had its tragic history of de jure and de facto Jim Crow, on top of slavery. One can argue that American blacks were oppressed from their arrival as slaves in 1619 until some point in the early 70s, this being 350 years.

Given that this extensive period will have had severe negative impacts on large segments of the US black population, and given that the UK lacks a similar native black population, it becomes fairer to compare Caribbean/African immigrants and their descendants who migrated to the USA with those who migrated to the UK.

Such a comparison indicates that those who migrated to the USA DID MUCH BETTER than did those who migrated to the UK. In fact that Caribbean British population is considered a "problem" population, in a way that the Caribbean American population is not.

Ask a British black why the UK is better and all we hear are how many white friends that they have. They cannot prove that Caribbean/Africans and their descendants are enjoying higher standards of living than they would in the USA.

I sincerely feel for them, because being only 3% of the overall British population, and maybe a mere 1% of the professional/management class, they will be quite lonely if whites didn't feel sorry for them. So they need to say nice things about race relations in the UK to avoid alienating these whites whose company they need.

We do NOT have that problem in the USA, even at the professional/management level. Increasing numbers of US blacks wield significant power, and Americans are increasingly aware of this.

In 2015 I really don't think that either the US or the UK can adopt a level of smugness about racism in comparison with each other. Yes the UK has moved ahead BUT SO HAS the USA. BOTH still have a lot more to do before EITHER can boast that race is no longer a predictor of social status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top