U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2015, 07:06 PM

6,963 posts, read 5,446,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
. If either CaribNY or I wanted to go to Europe we could. .

What bursts this guy's bag is that I have relatives who live in the UK. I hear the conflicts that they have. On the one hand claiming that race isn't an issue, yet when a son was arrested by the police (the SAME racial profiling which happens in the USA) they were afraid to go to the police station on their own, and had to bring a white friend with them. They knowing full well that their occupation as a physician would be meaningless to these white police men.

They have a problem that we don't, and that is the black professional/management class is very small, and so they lack the ability to engage in the conversations that we in the USA can, with our increasingly large and empowered professional/management class.

Bottom line is a black person who is educated, has drive and strong interpersonal skills is MUCH, MUCH better off in the USA than they would be in the UK.

I mean what else can this guy chat about other than all of his white friends. He doesn't seem to understand that when we want to get white friends in cities like NYC that is NO problem. We don't have to ingratiate ourselves with them either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
British newspapers say that rich foreigners prefer living in London.

Hmmmm.

Might there not be bias?

NY newspapers tend to claim NYC is the greatest at everything.

It's no proof and entirely irrelevant to the conditions of poor minorities here. Actually if London is so great and he has so much money he should spend it all relocating housing project people from NYC to London, where they will thrive in London's magical atmosphere.

Actually a lot of those links seem to focus on Africans too. He provided no proof wealthy foreigners overall prefer London to New York.

NYC and London are both seeing large numbers of their people fleeing to live in peripheral areas because wealthy foreigners are buying prime real estate.

Seriously boasting that one city likes rich foreigners more than does the other, is foolish.

But this is the plight of Britain's black professional/management class. They are forced to ingratiate themselves to whites, as they are few in number. It becomes silly when the white British spouse tells the black one, that yes racism IS an issue in the UK. I have actually seen this.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
Whenever I get the chance, I advocate a higher level of income redistribution, otherwise this blemish on the American soul will never disappear..

The notion of a British person telling an American about income inequality is a joke. The UK has some of the WORST income inequality in Western Europe, and usually ranks to just one ahead of the USA. In the UK the richest 20% earn 7X that of the poorest 20%, and in the USA it is 8X.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
. For the record, he's not the first person to say that race relations are better in London than overall here. ...

Good race relations just reflects power dynamics. Blacks in the UK have the same issues that they do in the USA. They CANNOT talk about it as they lack the numbers to do so.

That does NOT mean that there aren't race issues to discuss. The fact that you might not wish to do so is really your issue.

Brazil boasts about its "good" race relations, and yet conditions for blacks there are DEPLORABLE, kind of like where the USA was in the 50s.

And while we are at it the French claim that the British spend too much time talking about race, yet it is easy to see that blacks in the UK are better off.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
I why haven't Caucasian posters rebutted them, because they ring true and they know it!

Because they wished that US blacks (American and Caribbean) were as accepting of their treatment the way that British blacks are.

AAAH well, maybe they shouldn't have brought so many slaves over from Africa, but should have done as did the British, and that is to live that stuff in distant colonies.

This is the statistic that I find important. There are thousands of British born blacks living in the USA. Guess how many US blacks live in the UK, except as temporary expats.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:19 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,279,311 times
Default Typical response...

Quote:
I also think you have lots of self hatred going on towards poor Blacks in the hoods.
Whenever one calls a spade a SPADE they will either be accused of "self-hating" if they are Black and called "racist" if they are White. Why not call such a person a straight shooter who is honest and doesn't tiptoe around mealy-mouth afraid of telling the truth when its hard to hear but nevertheless needs to be said?

Old 10-06-2015, 08:20 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,832,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
What bursts this guy's bag is that I have relatives who live in the UK.
But so do we, and they have a very different experience.
They themselves feel that things are far worse here.
Two were in law school.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:38 PM

Default Because you were trying to act as if...

Quote:
But proof that this is unique to Blacks or it is a Black problem?

You are giving your personal experiences and saying that makes you THE VOICE for BLACK people. It doesn't. Your experiences are there but they are just PART of the PICTURE and that's what you can't see.

Lastly most Blacks in NYC are not necessarily African American. Many are Caribbean, Black Hispanic, or African and that certainly changes the dynamics of what is Black. When I lived in Wakefield temporarily many of my neighbors were Caribbean. Here in Harlem many of the Blacks I come across are African, Black Hispanic, or Caribbean. And yes they live in the hood too clearly. A gentrifying hood where if one wants to stay here one had better make a lot of money.
My experience is NOT the sum total of all experiences in Black hoods across America but they are typical. When the other poster made his comments, you and someone else started going far-left on him and acting "baffled", "perplexed" "flabbergasted" and even "appalled" at his comments when he stated very obvious truths about many hood folks: the adults and the children. You and the "appalled" poster carried on as if you'd never, never, ever, ever seen nor heard ANYONE in the hood whose behavior fit the description of what the poster said. There are things that even people on a city bus or subway have witnessed with their eyes and ears as far as ghetto people's abhorrent behavior.

That's when I made my comments. As far as many Blacks in NYC are Caribbean and Black Hispanic, I'm aware of that (I know more West-Indians than African-Americans in NYC). It hasn't changed the dynamics for the better as crime is still higher in Black neighborhoods (where both African-Americans and Caribbeans live more so than Black Hispanics) than other neighborhoods where they are very few or non-existent.

I do not include African nationals in this group at all as their behavior in the US is on par with all other upstanding American citizens (exception is the Nigerian emails swindle game).

Back on track, my focus is on African-Americans because 1) I am one and 2) the hoods are the same all across the country as I am well-traveled domestically and Black hoods outside of NYC are composed predominately of African-Americans not Caribbeans.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:02 PM

Default Harlem Resident is nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
In fact, many people I know of any race will leave a subway car - if possible - when raucous adolescents get on.

Don't want to deal with them.

But YOU kind of live in the suburbs, don't you ? You probably do not realize.
She's so nice, she used "raucous adolescents".

Had I posted I would have said "when Black ghetto teens get on". Occasionally a group of Puerto Ricans will act that way too but the Black ghetto crowd are always ON - they never turn off. It's been them when I've had to look up from reading a book or paper because the profanity, sexualized talk, and aggressive behavior towards each other was so bad that I immediately looked up to see who was causing such a raucous: play-fighting on crowded trains, pushing and shoving one another on other people in crowded trains, loudly yell-talking, etc.

...well, actually I could tell by their voices, slang, and bad diction.

And before someone responds with their graduate degree in one hand and book on "Teaching Hood Children To Speak Proper" in the other, let me say that this has been my experience and surprisingly (not to me) many other's peoples' experience who take public transportation in NYC.

I guess having been a Social worker has pushed me beyond the beyonds. I know the ghetto behavior so well so that I can predict with 99% accuracy what the behavior will be and how soon it will start. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and GO...and they're off to the races!

Old 10-06-2015, 09:09 PM

Default Well try getting them to change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I have a problem with the way "ghetto kids" are demonized by some posters here
It if looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quack likes a duck, it's a duck. Living in the ghetto as a teen is not the problem - as many of us have done that. Acting a fool and behaving like you're demonized is a problem. It all goes back to the duck scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or