U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-16-2015, 03:13 AM
 
Location: London, NYC & LA
842 posts, read 616,630 times
Reputation: 683

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Robert Moses fell from power because after decades of his plowing through and over neighborhoods people in government and elsewhere began to feel the push back.

Long before Rudy G and Bloomberg Robert Moses was a racist and class hating bully. He despised the then powerful railroads and for a man who never learned how to drive loved automobiles. That later bit fit right into the post war mentality which was the age of the car. Robert Moses saw/held the common then view that cities were dying (and should be killed off for all the crime, filth and so forth they seemed to have) and the suburbs were the new thing. So his highways, expressways and parkways were designed to basically facilitate white flight. People could come into cities to work and or whatever, but also get right back out of them easily via car.

In the meanwhile Robert Moses destroyed entire once vibrant neighborhoods. Yes, some of them were poor, low income and working class but that didn't matter. The building of the Cross Bronx Expressway, BQE, Gowanus Exressway and countless others literally separated neighborhoods causing isolation. Worse it hastened the declines into worse slums than had been there before.

To prove how right the anti-Moses camp was look how the Far West Side including West Village has bloomed along West Street. All that development would not have taken place if Westway had gone as planned. The Westway Controversy Comes Full Circle | Observer
Very interesting.. Doing the same to the other expressways would cost a fortune, but it would make a big difference..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-16-2015, 03:16 AM
 
Location: London, NYC & LA
842 posts, read 616,630 times
Reputation: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
My thoughts exactly. My ultimate idea is bury all the Manhattan highways under ground and to turn central park into a giant neighborhood to solve the cities housing needs.
I was nodding in agreement until I reached your plans for central park lol

Whoahh Central Park is sacred in my book
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2015, 05:21 AM
 
Location: Bronx
14,898 posts, read 17,467,116 times
Reputation: 7541
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
I was nodding in agreement until I reached your plans for central park lol

Whoahh Central Park is sacred in my book
NY ultimate idea is to put a park ring around Manhattan so that everyone has accepted a green space.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2015, 08:11 AM
 
2,682 posts, read 3,581,040 times
Reputation: 3093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
My thoughts exactly. My ultimate idea is bury all the Manhattan highways under ground and to turn central park into a giant neighborhood to solve the cities housing needs.
People need to stop making everything about "Affordable Housing". Let's destroy absolutely everything that makes NYC great so we can have more "Affordable Housing".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2015, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Bronx
14,898 posts, read 17,467,116 times
Reputation: 7541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
People need to stop making everything about "Affordable Housing". Let's destroy absolutely everything that makes NYC great so we can have more "Affordable Housing".
I did not mention affordable housing in my previous post you responded to!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2015, 09:46 AM
 
905 posts, read 1,167,759 times
Reputation: 574
overthink much.......

Reason not many blacks live in predominately white suburbs (as if black suburbs don't exist) is because of simply put law of supply and demand. Not that hard so quit beating the dead horse or dead guy lel

If money goes to suburbs well then ofcourse suburbs will skyrocket in price. If a community has no money ofcourse the community will suffer from lack of cashflow. If you think building a highway is the major cause lol quit your race baiting move along ppl.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2015, 10:58 AM
 
23,276 posts, read 16,124,122 times
Reputation: 8550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
overthink much.......

Reason not many blacks live in predominately white suburbs (as if black suburbs don't exist) is because of simply put law of supply and demand. Not that hard so quit beating the dead horse or dead guy lel

If money goes to suburbs well then ofcourse suburbs will skyrocket in price. If a community has no money ofcourse the community will suffer from lack of cashflow. If you think building a highway is the major cause lol quit your race baiting move along ppl.
No overthinking. There are historical reasons why Blacks are rare in well off suburbs.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2015, 12:24 PM
 
186 posts, read 145,612 times
Reputation: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Well the programs which Caribbean people despise are Section 8, food stamps, and other forms of welfare.

Even you will admit that these programs are implemented in a manner to induce a culture of dependency. Income levels to qualify are low, and some forms of social support penalize families with savings, a job, or even a man in the house. NOT the values which one will wish to promote. In addition one must go through humiliation from bureaucratic clerks, and I hear all the sob stories on the train from the destitute who get thrown off these programs. Kind of hard to have self esteem and really depend on these programs.

Most of the other programs which you cite are being cut back, or are increasingly hard to qualify for. If Pell Grants were so available why do so many black kids graduate with tons of college debt?

If a developer cannot raise financing he doesn't get a tax credit. A tax credit is what it is, a tax savings device, not a form of financing. Not available to the average person of ANY race!
Getting kicked of section 8 is damn near impossible unless you do something stupid and even then they try to keep you on the program however they can before they pull the plug.

I work in westchester for their section 8 program and the sure fire way to get kicked off is ..
Breaking lease agreement with your landlord, (having ppl live there without permission etc)
Not allowing inspections of your apartment,
Not re certifying (providing all documentation showing your income)
Lying about income and jobs and not reporting it(you will pay back to the agency and still responsible for your rent)

Ppl try to cut corners and try to be slick and not understanding they are tracked by their social so any job you have will come up on a database where we can pull and see all that info.

However the programs themselves I feel need to be reworked, as some have said on here they do promote a dependency as its a generational thing that can be passed down the line which I feel should not be the case. There should be a limit, 3 or 4 years where you can be on the program and your goal is to use that time to better yourself and become self sufficient and after that time you lose the voucher and if you want back on you must go back on the waiting list. Obviously for elderly and disabled this limit would not apply. However at the moment there is no real incentive for ppl to get off these programs. I have ppl who are on there three kids no one working and rent is 50 bucks and there is no real incentive to get a job because rent is covered, PA (public assistance is giving them a subsidy as well) and they are getting food stamps also.

So there has to be like a time limit to those who are on it to say look you get 4 years to make this work, save up do better, go to school and get a decent job if you can but go.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2015, 05:42 PM
 
6,963 posts, read 5,458,714 times
Reputation: 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And Black immigrants who buy homes mostly buy homes (in a NYC context) in busted up parts of Queens that are mostly Black, or the North Bronx/Westchester slums (see Wakefield and Mt. Vernon). Buying a home in a Black ghetto is not my idea of success. Call me when your buddies buy in Manhattan, a nice part of LI, or even the nicer parts of Brooklyn and Queens (the parts that aren't predominately Black).

So the net worth of their homes is far below the homes in white neighborhoods, and their kids have access to far less which is why you can't even be bothered to mention what happens to their US born children.

Meaning there isn't significant social mobility for these immigrants.

I never said success means you have to be a multi billionaire.

I did say that in any profession that pays well, INCLUDING teaching Blacks are underrepresented and immigrants Blacks are no different.

To the extent that they are even able to buy homes, those immigrant Blacks can take civil service jobs. But I could say the same thing for many African Americans. The private sector for all groups of Blacks in NYC is grim and so is education BEYOND the bachelor's degree. It certainly happens but it is rare.

Most of the well paid jobs in NYC require education BEYOND a bachelor's degree. Unless it's a field like nursing (you can do well with just a BS in Nursing) many professional jobs in NYC required advanced degrees and that automatically eliminates most poor immigrants including most poor black immigrants.


OK I get your point. Any neighborhood which blacks buy homes is "busted up", even when the buy homes from whites, as they did in Canarsie, and Rosedale.

Put this way, any how you cut it BLACK IMMIGRANTS and BETTER of than are BLACK AMERICANS, and that was my point.

I leave you to discuss why black Americans are among the OLDEST groups in the USA, and yet are worse off than are most non white immigrant groups.


http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2015/...nt-population/

To say that Americans are buying homes in any part of Manhattan, aside from its northern parts is also a joke. Foreign millionaires are performing that role, chasing Americans, of all race, elsewhere, if they plan to be home owners. THIS is the underlying reason for gentrification, as I doubt that whites would be buying homes in BedStuy (one of the most impoverished areas, until recently)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2015, 07:33 PM
 
23,276 posts, read 16,124,122 times
Reputation: 8550
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
OK I get your point. Any neighborhood which blacks buy homes is "busted up", even when the buy homes from whites, as they did in Canarsie, and Rosedale.

Put this way, any how you cut it BLACK IMMIGRANTS and BETTER of than are BLACK AMERICANS, and that was my point.

I leave you to discuss why black Americans are among the OLDEST groups in the USA, and yet are worse off than are most non white immigrant groups.


Statistical Portrait of the U.S. Black Immigrant Population | Pew Research Center

To say that Americans are buying homes in any part of Manhattan, aside from its northern parts is also a joke. Foreign millionaires are performing that role, chasing Americans, of all race, elsewhere, if they plan to be home owners. THIS is the underlying reason for gentrification, as I doubt that whites would be buying homes in BedStuy (one of the most impoverished areas, until recently)
Actually foreign millionaires are not the reason for gentrification.

You're completely ignorant as to how the US works and completely ignorant has to how even the job market works.

The federal government post WW2 encouraged suburbanization and encouraged capital flight to the US's suburbs.

Since the 1990s, the US government has encouraged capital to go to large cities, and city and state governments also give tax credits.

The reason why those expensive units are even built in Manhattan has to do with massive tax credits that the developers and the banks get. It's government policy.

Btw all Blacks are underrepresented in ALL jobs requiring high levels of education, ESPECIALLY if it requires a degree beyond a bachelors degree.

Oh by the way, it's utter nonsense to say White Americans don't own substantially property in Manhattan, either individually or through various institutions that they own. Many American companies own substantial real estate in Manhattan, and there are substantial white owned real estate management companies that own buildings in Manhattan. There are very many white owned businesses of all sizes in Manhattan, from small to corporate. There are many White American executives in Manhattan, and these people do indeed buy homes in Manhattan and in the suburbs. Caribbean people don't have access to this and the fact you are this ignorant of it shows.

Even when a foreign millionaire buys property in Manhattan, he is most likely buying from a WHITE AMERICAN who is cashing out on his/her assets. Caribbeans (or other Blacks) are not earning money from these sales and are certainly not the buyers in large numbers.

I don't even think you have a professional job or a graduate level degree Carib. Nobody with any worthwhile education could be this delusional about trying to promote their ethnic group.

Caribbeans are underrepresented in all high paying or professional jobs (as are Blacks in general) and their net worth and assets are far below even a middle class White American who generally own homes in better neighborhoods and are more likely to have more assets and more family money.

You're actually doing Caribbean people a disservice by denying how locked out they are in large numbers of jobs that pay well, of high levels of education, etc.

Re: Black Americans, I really don't have to care about them or other Blacks for that matter. What an ethnocentric person like you fails to understand is that I do not identity with ethnicity or race. I'm Ivy League. I prefer to do in neighborhoods with well to do people regardless of race. I interact more with Whites and Asians than I do other Blacks of any ethnicity/nationality. I will be here in NYC while your beloved Caribbeans and AAs go bye bye on that midnight train to Georgia.

And we all know the party's over for a substantial percentage of Blacks in NYC, regardless of national origin. Currently many Blacks are being priced out of neighborhoods like Ft. Greene and downtown Brooklyn and that isn't counting the ones already displaced. Realtors don't care about your national origin, they care whether you can pay the rent and mortgage and sadly many Blacks can't.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top