U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2015, 01:11 PM

11,311 posts, read 16,829,769 times

Advertisements

I am reminded of a line from "Guess Who is Coming to Dinner?"

The minister says something like this to Spencer Tracy:

"And rather amusing, too, to see a broken-down, old phony liberal come face-to-face with his principles."
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 01:35 PM

23,265 posts, read 16,104,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I didn't say I was a black Hispanic. I just said I had black heritage. That wasn't meant to be some form of merit badge as to my opinions but it was to give you an idea of the fact that if I were being "racist" as you put it, towards black or Hispanic folk, I would be being "racist" against myself.

I'm not even going to hit the other part because that is such an idiotic comparison it doesn't even merit a response. Continue living in your PC world where you have to over-think everything you say for fear of offending one of the infinite groups that take issue with any and all positions. As for me, I'll continue to be my same straight-forward honest good-hearted self knowing that when people interact with me, it isn't a facade, what they see is what they get. The same can't be said of you unfortunately.
It really doesn't matter what you are. A racist is a racist regardless of heritage.

And the attack on supposed PC is just used by people who deliberately want to say hurtful things without consequences.

But the world doesn't work like that. Saying the inappropriate thing at the wrong time can get you fired from your job, or have other pretty nasty professional and personal consequences.

Or offending someone on the basis of race, ethnicity, or religion bad enough and they can simply beat you or worse. I've seen it happen. A guy I saw call a group of people racial slurs was nearly killed in a bar I go to.

So of course you are free to say whatever you like to, you will just have to deal with the consequences. Which is the part a number of people hate (consequences).

Old 09-25-2015, 01:55 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,739,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It really doesn't matter what you are. A racist is a racist regardless of heritage.

And the attack on supposed PC is just used by people who deliberately want to say hurtful things without consequences.

But the world doesn't work like that. Saying the inappropriate thing at the wrong time can get you fired from your job, or have other pretty nasty professional and personal consequences.

Or offending someone on the basis of race, ethnicity, or religion bad enough and they can simply beat you or worse. I've seen it happen. A guy I saw call a group of people racial slurs was nearly killed in a bar I go to.

So of course you are free to say whatever you like to, you will just have to deal with the consequences. Which is the part a number of people hate (consequences).
Whatever makes you feel better.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:27 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,732,028 times
Now now kids, let's play nice in the sandbox. As they said in Avenue Q, everyone's a little bit racist. It's normal.

As for the school situation, this is just another reason I am glad we're not having kids. Dealing with BS such as this and parents crying that their kids will have to go to school with people from the other side of the tracks (or street in this case). The deal is these are public schools, and as such are subject to the rules of the city. If the city decides to rezone to make the populations of the school more equal, then it should be done. Growing up we had 35 kids in each class. You want to talk about overcrowding. My junior high was in a garage. People need to grow up and realize either you can pay for private schooling, or just suck it up and deal. Your only other option is to home school your kids.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:37 PM

5,736 posts, read 5,181,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Now now kids, let's play nice in the sandbox. As they said in Avenue Q, everyone's a little bit racist. It's normal.

As for the school situation, this is just another reason I am glad we're not having kids. Dealing with BS such as this and parents crying that their kids will have to go to school with people from the other side of the tracks (or street in this case). The deal is these are public schools, and as such are subject to the rules of the city. If the city decides to rezone to make the populations of the school more equal, then it should be done. Growing up we had 35 kids in each class. You want to talk about overcrowding. My junior high was in a garage. People need to grow up and realize either you can pay for private schooling, or just suck it up and deal. Your only other option is to home school your kids.
Amen!

In my eyes its less about race and more about entitlement.
These more wealthy folks seem to think they are better than the project folks.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:02 PM

18,318 posts, read 11,718,581 times
This whole reverse white flight into the City and or choosing to remain after having children was largely born out of a desire *not* to live the sort of suburban lives many of these adults grew up in.

The wives do not want their husbands like their fathers once did leaving at 615AM and not coming home until 7PM or later, or sometimes not at all each night. The men for their part aren't interested in being road warriors like their dads. All fair enough.... These persons also see the City as a vast diverse place that provides rich experiences for raising children, again fair enough.

However as one has repeatedly said, these persons while claiming to "love" the City are doing their damned best to turn it into Darien or Berkeley on the Hudson River. That is many seem bent on remaking Manhattan into their suburban image of what they think NYC should be.

Brooklyn is a hot bed of this as you have large numbers of "West Siders" pushed out of the UWS, Chelsea, The Village, Greenwich Village, etc... moving out there. Park Slope is the model they seem to want to replicate across Brooklyn.

Some of these persons like to point the finger at others for being "entitled", but people living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. In their own ways many of these hipster, transplant or whatever families are just the same. Having spent big money to move into an area with a top public school they now fear their carefully laid out plan may not work. So what of it? No one promised that their child or children would be guaranteed a spot in the local top rated zoned school.

As for racism don't think it is out right that; but the other more insidious sort that Obama and his administration (see recent HUD announcements) are attempting to deal with; that is economic demographics.

If these alternate choice schools were equally top rated and had children from the same socio-economic demographic families as themselves don't think many making protests would mind. However sending one's kid to a "hood" school with all that entails just isn't going to work for some parents.

For their part parents at these "poorer" public schools have reason to fear large numbers of wealthier and better educated parents sending their children to such places. It has already caused problems in many Brooklyn pubic schools in the Fort Greene/Clinton Hill area and elsewhere. One set of parents are two income households with often a SAHM or SAHD with college and often advanced degrees also have lots of money. The other are often single parent households and or one where both parents are working all the hours God gives to make ends meet. The latter has neither the time nor effort usually for the sort of intense participation that the former parents often have with their children's schools. The latter certainly aren't able to just write a check when a school needs this or that supplied. The result? Tensions.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:34 PM

9,973 posts, read 8,467,024 times
This is true. But there were good reasons the suburban system developed, and a lot of these people are finding it out the hard way, but trying to buck that system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
This whole reverse white flight into the City and or choosing to remain after having children was largely born out of a desire *not* to live the sort of suburban lives many of these adults grew up in.

The wives do not want their husbands like their fathers once did leaving at 615AM and not coming home until 7PM or later, or sometimes not at all each night. The men for their part aren't interested in being road warriors like their dads. All fair enough.... These persons also see the City as a vast diverse place that provides rich experiences for raising children, again fair enough.

However as one has repeatedly said, these persons while claiming to "love" the City are doing their damned best to turn it into Darien or Berkeley on the Hudson River. That is many seem bent on remaking Manhattan into their suburban image of what they think NYC should be.

Brooklyn is a hot bed of this as you have large numbers of "West Siders" pushed out of the UWS, Chelsea, The Village, Greenwich Village, etc... moving out there. Park Slope is the model they seem to want to replicate across Brooklyn.

Some of these persons like to point the finger at others for being "entitled", but people living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. In their own ways many of these hipster, transplant or whatever families are just the same. Having spent big money to move into an area with a top public school they now fear their carefully laid out plan may not work. So what of it? No one promised that their child or children would be guaranteed a spot in the local top rated zoned school.

As for racism don't think it is out right that; but the other more insidious sort that Obama and his administration (see recent HUD announcements) are attempting to deal with; that is economic demographics.

If these alternate choice schools were equally top rated and had children from the same socio-economic demographic families as themselves don't think many making protests would mind. However sending one's kid to a "hood" school with all that entails just isn't going to work for some parents.

For their part parents at these "poorer" public schools have reason to fear large numbers of wealthier and better educated parents sending their children to such places. It has already caused problems in many Brooklyn pubic schools in the Fort Greene/Clinton Hill area and elsewhere. One set of parents are two income households with often a SAHM or SAHD with college and often advanced degrees also have lots of money. The other are often single parent households and or one where both parents are working all the hours God gives to make ends meet. The latter has neither the time nor effort usually for the sort of intense participation that the former parents often have with their children's schools. The latter certainly aren't able to just write a check when a school needs this or that supplied. The result? Tensions.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:39 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,579,683 times
Why are hipsters as a whole being blamed for what some yuppies are doing?

Old 09-25-2015, 07:44 PM

7,910 posts, read 6,491,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
People need to grow up and realize either you can pay for private schooling, or just suck it up and deal. Your only other option is to home school your kids.
The third option is to move to a place where one is truly insulated from poverty and ghetto behavior. Acting uppity when forced to mix with people who only live a few blocks away - and were there first - is just going to make you look like a fool. If you want suburb insularity, then move to the suburbs. If you want to be hip, cool, and close to Manhattan, you're going to have to deal with having ghetto neighbors.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:18 PM

9,992 posts, read 7,716,817 times
Before I bought my house in Queens my wife wanted to take a look at some of these hipper nabes. Dumbo being one of them. To talk her out of it all I had to do was drive her down York st late at night. Convinced her immediately. Best bet is just to avoid neighborhoods that have PJs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or