U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2015, 10:31 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,528,383 times

Advertisements

Maybe this will keep some of the breadknots from moving here (and worse, STAYING) to breed, they are disgusting and turning this entire city into a wet blanket for the coddled masses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 10:36 AM

23,346 posts, read 16,239,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The third option is to move to a place where one is truly insulated from poverty and ghetto behavior. Acting uppity when forced to mix with people who only live a few blocks away - and were there first - is just going to make you look like a fool. If you want suburb insularity, then move to the suburbs. If you want to be hip, cool, and close to Manhattan, you're going to have to deal with having ghetto neighbors.
As noted many do because they want to be close to work or whatever other things they do.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Sad thing is that these liberals who decide to move into city from the suburbs should know that exposing their kids to diversity will lead them into all sorts of trouble. Also note that diversity comes not only in the shades of color, but in faith, politics, academics income strata and so on. Liberals parents bring their suburban ideology with them into the city and live amongst their own kind and at times shield their kids from the real world of NYC.
Exposing your kids to diversity does not lead them into trouble. I also note that a lot of hardcore drug addicts come from and live in the suburbs.

I've seen white kids come out of some schools in Harlem so clearly not all of the gentrifiers have problems with this. The problem with these articles is that they will interview a few people who the article presents as the absolute spokespeople for entire groups of people.

And why do people stereotype just non whites as ghetto? I've known my share of ghetto whites. I've known white crackheads who live in NYCHA and get a check (SSI).

Old 09-26-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Maybe this will keep some of the breadknots from moving here (and worse, STAYING) to breed, they are disgusting and turning this entire city into a wet blanket for the coddled masses.
Not even. More will still come.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
And, rather than come on like an invading army of righteous parents, how about banding together with the current parents of 307 who evidently have some school pride? According to the lead article here, there are already a few good recent programs in place, and a quality principal sitting there ready to keep making improvements.

The greatest arrogance is to think that you're starting from scratch. Sometimes that's fear-based but it sounds condescending and alienates others with the same goals. Instead, "upster" (my cross between "yup" and "hipster") parents could look for allies.
As soon as the city forces the rezoning some of them will do that. Remember the nastiest people always scream the loudest and that sells newspapers so of course the news people are less interested in reporting about any parents who want to work with the current parents. In fact if it weren't for this drama we wouldn't even know about the few good recent programs placed there.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:12 AM

15,005 posts, read 17,564,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Exposing your kids to diversity does not lead them into trouble. I also note that a lot of hardcore drug addicts come from and live in the suburbs.

I've seen white kids come out of some schools in Harlem so clearly not all of the gentrifiers have problems with this. The problem with these articles is that they will interview a few people who the article presents as the absolute spokespeople for entire groups of people.

And why do people stereotype just non whites as ghetto? I've known my share of ghetto whites. I've known white crackheads who live in NYCHA and get a check (SSI).
You should got dumbo and tell those poor people with those poor kids to move down south. These schools are reserved for the privilege now.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
You should got dumbo and tell those poor people with those poor kids to move down south. These schools are reserved for the privilege now.
I would never say anything so mean and heartless.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:21 AM

6,136 posts, read 6,131,583 times
They should hire Denzel Washington to start a PS307 football team and pretty soon everything will be just peachy with them black folks and white folks. happened in them movies so it must be true.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:43 AM

15,005 posts, read 17,564,593 times
Quote:
Yes you did.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:56 AM

1,957 posts, read 1,058,195 times
Quote:
He wants them out his sight down south somewhere...that is why he said that.

And no these schools are not reserved for the privileged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or