Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 09:36 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times

Advertisements

I'm biracial. Straight up mutt. Part white, latino and asian. Typical of Queens. On weekends when dressed casually, people assume I'm Puerto Rican. On weekdays when in business attire, apparently I'm 100% white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 09:51 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'm biracial. Straight up mutt. Part white, latino and asian. Typical of Queens. On weekends when dressed casually, people assume I'm Puerto Rican. On weekdays when in business attire, apparently I'm 100% white.
Thanks G-Dale.

My kids are half white and don't consider themselves white either now. When they were younger, before starting school, they referred to themselves as white (and black), but have been told by other kids that they aren't white. I'm always telling them that they're white too (that they're both!). You are partially white and people often assume you are, but you identify as non-white. It's complicated I guess.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:57 AM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
I was thinking this. This is how parents with children end up in the 'burbs. They find out their precious creation is going to have to go to some substandard ghetto school. They see what good private schools cost (and how hard it is to get in.) The look for apartments in the catchment for the few good neighborhood public schools. When they see what they cost, and for what they get (and the fact that they're not in "hip" neighborhood), that gets rejected. So it's off the Chappaqua or Great Neck, which is really where they should be.

This is part of the new growing up process for hipsters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Hey hipsters. Move back to suburbia! If not build a charter, private school in your neighborhood. Problem solved! Just fork over the money and send your kids to private school like how the true rich and wealthy roll.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:00 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Is Brooklyn Heights really full of hipsters? I always thought of it as more of a conventional established-money area.
Brooklyn Heights is either full of old money, or Manhattan refugees who got priced by folks with more money or larger entities with deeper pockets. Dumbo on the other hand, I have seen hipsters there, but I'm not sure if they have money like that to afford to live there. I can possibly assume that its mainly yuppie, new money types that live in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I've been trying to figure that one out for a while too. I thought some type of Latino since Latinos can white but not white at the same time (if you know what I mean) but now I'm thinking middle eastern...which is also oddly white but not white. Or rather "Caucasian" but not white...
I thought the same too. According to the US census Middle Easterners are part of the white or Caucasian racial construct.

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. My guess is that very many will send their kids to private schools if the school rezoning goes through.
I see this as a huge possibility.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:04 AM

555 posts, read 617,213 times
So now a parent that doesn't want to send their child to a horrendously performing school is racist too? Is anything NOT racist these days? Does everything have to be PC?

Sorry but what parent in their right mind WOULD want to send their kid into that situation? A well off white kid will stand out tremendously in a poor black school, and it will be a living hell for them.

And I'm not white and I grew up in the PJ's and went to a mostly black school... but it is what it is, a rich white kid will suffer greatly in that situation, I don't blame those parents at all.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:06 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I was thinking this. This is how parents with children end up in the 'burbs. They find out their precious creation is going to have to go to some substandard ghetto school. They see what good private schools cost (and how hard it is to get in.) The look for apartments in the catchment for the few good neighborhood public schools. When they see what they cost, and for what they get (and the fact that they're not in "hip" neighborhood), that gets rejected. So it's off the Chappaqua or Great Neck, which is really where they should be.

On the flip side, I don't think clean shaven hedge funder Matt Wallmark and his wife Jane Wallmark, with their kids Zander, and Megan, don't want hipster neighbors in their beloved suburb of Bronxville. Who wants to see a woman with tattoo sleeve or her husband with beard all the time who have a twin kids named siri and apple.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:12 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

To say that they "should be" in the suburbs is rather strong. There are no guarantees in the NYC public school system, but it works out well for a lot of people nonetheless.

A problem with the suburban system is there is only one public option. A friend whose son is in a prestigious suburban system had a (very traumatic) issue with a fellow student and continues to see him year after year since they don't want to move, and pay so much in taxes specifically for the school system. In NYC, if you're savvy enough, you could probably finagle a switch to another school since it's a much larger system.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:15 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
So now a parent that doesn't want to send their child to a horrendously performing school is racist too? Is anything NOT racist these days? Does everything have to be PC?

Sorry but what parent in their right mind WOULD want to send their kid into that situation? A well off white kid will stand out tremendously in a poor black school, and it will be a living hell for them.

And I'm not white and I grew up in the PJ's and went to a mostly black school... but it is what it is, a rich white kid will suffer greatly in that situation, I don't blame those parents at all.
It depends how many white kids there are. I went to schools back in the day where it was prob 70% Hispanic, 20% black, and 7% white and maybe 3% Asian. The worst the white kids got was being made fun of cause they were too white, imagine that. If anything the Asians got the worst of it. Any Asian language sounding word starting with the letter C was rained upon them along with Ch*"k.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:51 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post

No one can say what they want to say anymore. The word has taken on new meaning. What used to be a term strictly for the most severe prejudice and discrimination now means any opposing viewpoint that doesn't coincide with another race. You don't like Obama? Oh that's cause your racist... You like Trump? Oh that's cause your racist. You're a republican/conservative? Oh that's cause your racist. Everyone is racists nowadays.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:19 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Thanks G-Dale.

My kids are half white and don't consider themselves white either now. When they were younger, before starting school, they referred to themselves as white (and black), but have been told by other kids that they aren't white. I'm always telling them that they're white too (that they're both!). You are partially white and people often assume you are, but you identify as non-white. It's complicated I guess.
Its tricky being biracial. Even with my own cousins and such, they'll never quite think of me as being the same. They'll say things like "oh, you eat that type of food also," not realizing we grew up with the same grandmother cooking. And forget about when meeting new people, particularly white people. Its always a fun guessing game for them, like "what the hell is g-dale's background."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City