Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 04:48 PM

205 posts, read 246,760 times

Advertisements

Poor people tend to be "poor" overall in intelligence, work ethic, etc. It shouldnt be a suprise that children in poor zip codes with poor parents, go to "poor" schools. Apples dont fall too far from trees in general. You take a good school, and all of a sudden make it 50% poor children, the school isnt going to be as good anymore. Its common sense .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 08:09 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSopp77 View Post
Poor people tend to be "poor" overall in intelligence, work ethic, etc.
Do you have a source to back that up? Sounds like utter rubbish to me.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:47 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That already happens now. The kids of immigrants who do have mainstream access do indeed come to big cities to go to school and look for professional jobs, same as other Americans. But they are coming back affluent and are really no different from whites who do the same thing. The point is that as they have the opportunities immigrants/minorities move up socioeconomically and join the US mainstream. They do not want to remain isolated in ethnic ghettoes.

The current Harlem (undergoing gentrification and expansion of it's institutions for example) may be in transition but it's not a hood or an ethnic neighborhood.
Of course they don't want to remain isolated when they have the money to go elsewhere and greater access to other parts of the city.

Harlem has been "undergoing gentrification" for quite some time now. There are some who love to see it fully gentrify which I doubt will happen.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:51 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Of course they don't want to remain isolated when they have the money to go elsewhere and greater access to other parts of the city.

Harlem has been "undergoing gentrification" for quite some time now. There are some who love to see it fully gentrify which I doubt will happen.
Black Harlem was a creation of the city. Blacks used to live in Midtown and where Central Park is now. They were cleared out and pushed into Harlem which was then considered undesirable.

Looking at the history of demographics changes in NYC and how that was controlled by federal, state, and city policies never say never.

Do I think Harlem is going to become Chelsea expensive in the next couple of years? No. Because it isn't between midtown and downtown I don't think it will ever become that expensive. But between major developers, expanding academic centers, etc you ALREADY have had considerable displacement of poor people in Harlem. You currently have an expansion of major retailers in Harlem, including Whole Foods.

The housing projects will remain but poor people are losing private housing. You won't get a section 8 apartment in Harlem these days. The people who have the best deals on apartments in Harlem are old and will die off soon or go to the nursing home. Of course landlords are generally too impatient to wait.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
Do you have a source to back that up? Sounds like utter rubbish to me.
You must be living in Disney land. If you believe otherwise. It must be nice. http://thesocietypages.org/socimages...me-and-wealth/ there are many more articles as well regarding intelligence and income. I didnt think I would have to cite the obvious

Old 10-10-2015, 09:48 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSopp77 View Post
Poor people tend to be "poor" overall in intelligence, work ethic, etc. It shouldnt be a suprise that children in poor zip codes with poor parents, go to "poor" schools. Apples dont fall too far from trees in general. You take a good school, and all of a sudden make it 50% poor children, the school isnt going to be as good anymore. Its common sense .
You seem to have poor intelligence if you generalize in this instance. According to your definition all non-poor are therefore of good intelligence and work ethic? For starters, do you even need me to bring you to a city office to disprove that? lol

Statistically speaking, there are enough poor people who are of fine intelligence and work ethic but are simply missing certain skill sets for reasons other than intelligence or work ethic.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:50 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
I don't think we need studies to prove that environment has a HUGE impact on a child's development and his later lot in life.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
You seem to have poor intelligence if you generalize in this instance. According to your definition all non-poor are therefore of good intelligence and work ethic? For starters, do you even need me to bring you to a city office to disprove that? lol

Statistically speaking, there are enough poor people who are of fine intelligence and work ethic but are simply missing certain skill sets for reasons other than intelligence or work ethic.
Obviously you seem to have poor intelligence yourself. You do not see the terms "tend" and "in general". Its laughable how people are blind or just to PC to admit to things that are so obvious.. If you were a gambler and you were going to bet on someone's total life earnings, all things being equal would you bet on the kid from person A and Person B total income of 300 K from upper east side or Person C and D's kid total income 25 K from Motthaven... Its really comical stuff how people just deny what are blatant truths about the world.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:33 PM

I suppose that everyone is created with equal intelligence and their parents intelligence has no bearing on a child's intelligence? And intelligence has no correlation to income levels? And I am ignorant? LOL LOL LOL!!! Too funny.... Sad state of affairs with this mindset nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City