U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-11-2015, 12:42 AM
 
3,333 posts, read 3,290,971 times
Reputation: 2834

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSopp77 View Post
I suppose that everyone is created with equal intelligence and their parents intelligence has no bearing on a child's intelligence? And intelligence has no correlation to income levels? And I am ignorant? LOL LOL LOL!!! Too funny.... Sad state of affairs with this mindset nowadays.
You're making 2 distinct arguments.

In one of your arguments you claim that poor people are poor because of a lack of intelligence and work ethic. This is easily disproven.

Another argument you're making is that the environment a child grows up in heavily influences their future socioeconomic status. This is true.

These are 2 different arguments but you seem to think they're one and the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2015, 12:46 AM
 
6,963 posts, read 5,455,713 times
Reputation: 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSopp77 View Post
You must be living in Disney land. If you believe otherwise. It must be nice. Correlations Of IQ With Income And Wealth - Sociological Images there are many more articles as well regarding intelligence and income. I didnt think I would have to cite the obvious

I assume that you are falling for the outdated concept of "intelligence". I come from a family of teachers, and as a small child there was much focus on ensuring that I developed cognitive skills. They read to me. Played educational games with me, and encouraged me to build my own toys, in addition to the store bought ones that I also had.

Now compare that to a kid from a poor family. Parents uneducated so cannot offer them the same opportunities that I received. Don't even know that "learning" isn't just what one begins when one begins formal education. And even if they knew this, working long days, they aren't in the mood to do this.

Watch a middle class kid. The parents talk to them, so language skills develop. Watch the poor kid. The parents tell them to sit down and shut up, as they are tired, frustrated, or what ever.

This is what these IQ tests pick up. That is why I score 130. Not because I am smarter than some kid with less educated parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2015, 12:56 AM
 
205 posts, read 160,662 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
You're making 2 distinct arguments.

In one of your arguments you claim that poor people are poor because of a lack of intelligence and work ethic. This is easily disproven.

Another argument you're making is that the environment a child grows up in heavily influences their future socioeconomic status. This is true.

These are 2 different arguments but you seem to think they're one and the same.

That is why I used the term AND, Mr. 130 IQ. And was used to note a separate statement and point. I suppose that if Lebron James has a child, the child isn't more likely to be an NBA player than average john smith? and that is if he had no contact with the child.. Hypothetically if he was just a "sperm donor".. Come on now, This is out of control. Everyone isn't created equal. Everyone is where they are for a reason in general, some people get dealt some bad cards in life in addition to bad cards from birth, and sometimes it is the other way around. Poor people are called "poor" instead of "cheap" for a reason. Ive never met an able bodied poor person in my life over 40 years old that I couldn't figure out on my own why this person is not making a good living. Whether they were a bit flow, a bit sloppy, a bit lazy, a bit unprofessional, attitude issues, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2015, 12:58 AM
 
6,963 posts, read 5,455,713 times
Reputation: 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Their lives simply do not involve many minorities.

First and foremost (going to the original premise of this thread), the neighborhoods in which they live do not have many minorities.

Their industries and professions do not employ many minorities in comparable positions. Sure the maintenance staff may be Hispanic but do they interact with them any more than saying Good Morning and Good Night?

Their kids do not go to schools with many minorities. Hence, few minority parents at school functions/PTA meetings.

They simply don't have to deal with many minorities (I'm not counting Asians/Indians) on a day to day basis.

Even in neighborhoods which are statistically diverse doesn't mean full integration. I have seen the dynamic in Fort Greene with brownstone owners. They know each other and will great, may have kids in the same playgroup, but otherwise live different lives. I am controlling for class, because in no society in the world does the upper middle class mix with the poor.

NYC is a tribal city. Maybe less so for the under 35 group, but people on the whole stick to their own kind. And I even wonder how the under 35 group will socialize, as they form families and have less time to go out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2015, 01:04 AM
 
13 posts, read 8,104 times
Reputation: 10
I kinda always had this weird feeling about NYC even though I haven't lived there.

Even though I was born and raised in the state of Texas, I am ethnically an Indian guy and facially I do resemble actor Kunal Nayarr a lot (hence the name lol). Throughout my life, most of my friends have been of other races (usually white or black) and the girls I have dated have all either been white or Hispanic. I never thought anything of it either, just thought that this is how things work in the USA. We have in recent years had an influx of people from the northern states in Texas and I have family in New Jersey. One day I was out with a girl I used to date (white, blonde, and southern accent) and a teacher of mines who had moved here from NYC told me afterwards "well that's unusual, you don't see Indian men with white women".

I was caught off guard by it but he is from New York. Then my family members from NJ, who are Indian, found it unusual that I was dating a girl who was white as well. I've never known people from areas of the USA like the west coast or south to comment on this but it seems like a lot of the Northerners who have moved here have found it unusual whenever they see a Mexican or darker skinned guy with a white girl and feel the need to really comment on it.

Maybe it is just the transplants but I always get this gut feeling that NYC is probably not good for people looking to truly associate with other races, as silly as I might have found myself saying that years ago. It seems like whites in NYC truly hate actually interacting with other races or even seeing one of their own dating other races, females in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2015, 01:05 AM
 
6,963 posts, read 5,455,713 times
Reputation: 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post


Anyone who thinks Mr. and Mrs. Yale or Mr. and Mr. Harvard living on the UWS .

The question is do Mr/Mrs white Yale, socialize fully with Mr/Mrs black Yale, when they live in the same neighborhood.

I have been to events held by various groups in places like Ft Greene, and Harlem. While there isn't total segregation, the fact remains that the supposed diversity is more at a token level.

Generally there is polite acknowledgement, often because the kids are in similar playgroups, but there isn't full socializing. Limited evidence of close friendships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2015, 01:08 AM
 
6,963 posts, read 5,455,713 times
Reputation: 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSopp77 View Post
I suppose that everyone is created with equal intelligence and their parents intelligence has no bearing on a child's intelligence? And intelligence has no correlation to income levels? And I am ignorant? LOL LOL LOL!!! Too funny.... Sad state of affairs with this mindset nowadays.

I don't know if you know this, but your ideas of innate intelligence are truly outdated. Read "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell and learn something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2015, 01:12 AM
 
205 posts, read 160,662 times
Reputation: 179
LOL Ole Malcolm he must have made the earth revolve and spin in the opposite direction as well with his "novel"... LOL we all may as well not have parents because the only traits we take from them are our looks, right? Wait, does Mr. Malcolm dispute that as well? LOL!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2015, 01:13 AM
 
6,963 posts, read 5,455,713 times
Reputation: 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by koothrapali2015 View Post
I kinda always had this weird feeling about NYC even though I haven't lived there.
Maybe it is just the transplants but I always get this gut feeling that NYC is probably not good for people looking to truly associate with other races, as .

The North East is very tribal. Even Caribbean immigrants don't mix that much with American blacks, and I believe even the various South Asian groups also remain quite distinct.

The fact of a critical mass of people in each tribe might encourage this.

It isn't just about white racism. In fact among whites there are also interesting phenomenon. The Westchester/Connecticut WASPs and assimilated Jews do NOT mix with the more "ethnic" Long Island whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2015, 01:14 AM
 
6,963 posts, read 5,455,713 times
Reputation: 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSopp77 View Post
LOL Ole Malcolm he must have made the earth revolve and spin in the opposite direction as well with his "novel"... LOL we all may as well not have parents because the only traits we take from them are our looks, right? Wait, does Mr. Malcolm dispute as well? LOL!!!!

Malcom Gladwell is far more respected than you are for his intellect. I even wonder of you will be able to comprehend his points. Sadly you adhere to your white skin, and think that this makes you superior.

Malcolm in fact spends MUCH time discussing the advantages that kids from two different middle class families have. The kids of a teacher will most likely score higher in IQ tests than will a kid of a truck driver, who might likely earn MORE.

You haven't read it, yet make comments about it. Truly SAD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top