U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 05:40 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,251,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
It seems to be a somewhat common opinion on here that NYC is segregated but I don't see how anyone can think that
The common knowledge is NYC schools are segregated, not the general population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 05:58 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,883,199 times
Its probably the most diverse city in the world but at the same time many people prefer to live amongst their own kind. I see nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:00 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,883,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This guy explains it well.

LiveLeak.com - White Privilege!!!!!
This guy just has serious anger issues.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:00 AM

21,379 posts, read 28,147,155 times
I once asked a landlord of mine (30 apartment building, Jersey City) how come no blacks. He told me "that's why I pay a broker."

Old 09-24-2015, 09:16 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,471,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I lived in Israel for a year about 2 years ago. The country is about 74-75% Jewish (as am I). I guess by your definition it's diverse but having lived there I can tell you that it is really not.

Same thing applies to NYC. A neighborhood may be only 75% Black/Hispanic or White or Asian but that doesn't make it diverse.

The 13 White people out of every 100 in my neighborhood are mostly the Supers and their families anyway. lol I'm not even joking. The White/Asian people in this neighborhood have no discernible impact.

Zoom out.

Take the big picture view.
First of all, it seems like you're lumping in black and Hispanic as one ethnic group, second the stats you provided for your neighborhood would appear diverse to most people. A Hispanic majority but a still a sizeable population of white, black, and Asian. I bet It seems like you don't count an area as diverse unless 3+ ethnic groups have nearly the same impact, which is not feasible from a mathematic standpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Look at that map and you'll see whole swaths of SE Queens and central Brooklyn that are 90% Black, area s like Corona & Sunset Park that are 90% Hispanic, areas of South Brooklyn that are 90% White. So in terms of residential segregation, we are pretty segregated (also, as far as Staten Island goes, the North Shore has a lot of diverse neighborhoods, and even going down towards the Mid-Island to a certain extent).

The thing about NYC is that people interact a lot more due to the subway crossing through many different neighborhoods of various ethnic groups.
I am aware that there are plenty of areas that area dominated by one ethnic group but I would still say that the majority or at least a significant minority of neighborhoods are diverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
The common knowledge is NYC schools are segregated, not the general population.
That may very well be true

Old 09-24-2015, 09:35 AM

9,847 posts, read 22,104,359 times
Quote:
It seems to be a somewhat common opinion on here that NYC is segregated but I don't see how anyone can think that

Outside of Staten Island, most neighborhoods have sizeable populations of at least two (but usually more) racial/ethnic groups

And many neighborhoods are incredibly diverse
Because it actually is. But it's more of a money thing now whereas maybe even up into the 80's it was more race based. If you can afford the rent you can live anywhere you want for the most part. Just so happens most of the wealthier people tend to be White or Asian (which again does go into race issues but this is a complicated topic deserving its own discussion).

Old 09-24-2015, 09:44 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,471,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Because it actually is. But it's more of a money thing now whereas maybe even up into the 80's it was more race based. If you can afford the rent you can live anywhere you want for the most part. Just so happens most of the wealthier people tend to be White or Asian.
For example, think of most of the places Asians live

You will most likely also find a signficant white and/or Latino populaton

Also I could name many diverse neighborhoods, such as Kensington where my grandmother lives.

And what major city is less segregated than NYC?

Old 09-24-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
For example, think of most of the places Asians live

You will most likely also find a signficant white and/or Latino populaton

Also I could name many diverse neighborhoods, such as Kensington where my grandmother lives.

And what major city is less segregated than NYC?
I would say manhattan is pretty segregated right now, so is much of gentrified brooklyn. Is the entire city segregated? No. There are also some ethnicities/religious groups that go out of their way to segregate themselves. We know who they are.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:50 AM

16,027 posts, read 18,535,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Its probably the most diverse city in the world but at the same time many people prefer to live amongst their own kind. I see nothing wrong with that.

This is very true. I also see nothing wrong with this. Its only natural for people to live amongst their own kind. People feel safe, secure and at times like what they know or usually around. Not everyone is born curious of other people.

Quote:
First of all, it seems like you're lumping in black and Hispanic as one ethnic group, second the stats you provided for your neighborhood would appear diverse to most people. A Hispanic majority but a still a sizeable population of white, black, and Asian. I bet It seems like you don't count an area as diverse unless 3+ ethnic groups have nearly the same impact, which is not feasible from a mathematic standpoint.

I am aware that there are plenty of areas that area dominated by one ethnic group but I would still say that the majority or at least a significant minority of neighborhoods are diverse.

That may very well be true

All points are true to your response are true. 2 or more different ethnic groups to me is diverse. One ethnic group or racial group is very homogenous. In my neighborhood it was once mostly Puerto Rican with a large black American minority populace. Today I see less Puerto Ricans, growing Dominican, and Mexican population, lots of Muslims from Saharan Africa and war town Libyans and a couple of Syrian refugees, last slowly but steadily growing population of career educated suburbanites refugees who can no longer afford Brooklyn and Queens.

Historically in NYC neighborhoods, you have an ethnic majority and an large ethnic minority. Example on the UES which is mainly Wasp, you might have a large Jewish population in that area. Or Washington Heights which is a large Dominican majority and at a time small minority of Irish, Puertoricans, but aslo a large minority of Jews in the western portion of the area. Years ago in Mott Haven which used to be Irish as the majority, there was a large Italian minority. Years later it became mostly Puerto Rican, with a large black minority, but not anymore.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:57 AM

Also it is not uncommon in nYC for a neighborhood to have several groups but they basically don't interact at all. Take Parkchester in the Bronx for instance. The pakistanis/bengalis don't interact at all with the black and latino residents. Where I live now in Belmont there are Mexicans, a transient mostly white student population, a few dominicans and Pr, a few blacks, albanians, and a few old school italians here and there. While there is some interaction among some of the groups it is still pretty segregated in terms of how much the communities mingle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or