U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 07:14 PM

9,313 posts, read 13,839,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That is statistically significant and a number of tracks in Manhattan below 59 th street showed statistically significant percentages of Blacks and Hispanics.
How many of those tracts are home to PJs, though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 07:22 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,628,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Valley Stream NY is closest town in NYC area to the % breakdown of race in the USA. It has near perfect mix, white, Asian, black Spanish etc.
LOL, you know a place is segregated when even Long Island is more diverse than you!

Old 09-26-2015, 08:05 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,822,965 times
Quote:
I think this thread is full of unattractive people with poor social skills. Minorities are very active participants of the life of lower Manhattan. Do you ever go to social places like restaurants, bars, etc? The gyms, stores, etc?

Moving to the truly bizarre yet again.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
A Hispanic person with enough money can buy in Midtown.
Really ! Do tell. That's just so interesting.

And how many of them do so ?

Because judging from your post it must be enough to, say, identify Midtown as a significantly diverse area, not in terms of faces-in-the-crowd but in terms of actual residents. I had no idea. I am assuming you are not counting people who are live-in workers. That's not really the same thing.

This might actually disprove all of those claims about racial divides, poverty, and access to wealth. The implications are enormous here.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
That's the point.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:33 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,280,911 times
Quote:
The map you provided showed decent numbers of Blacks and Hispanics in the Lower East Side and Hells a Kitchen. Blacks are supposed to be 12 of the national population. A census track in midtown east was 3 percent black. That is statistically significant and a number of tracks in Manhattan below 59 th street showed statistically significant percentages of Blacks and Hispanics. Lower Manhattan is so expensive because a lot of people are bidding for a small supply of housing. In short there isn't much room for new housing ( and zoning regulations prevent much talk new housing).

Those people moving to JH and BS are moving there because there isn't enough room for them in lower Manhattan. The lack of space and high demand as made prices go through the roof.
When you have to claim that 3% is statistically significant in what we are discussing then you know you're fighting a losing battle.

Three out of every 100 residents is Black and that's supposed to sway the neighborhood? As others have pointed out, take out the PJ's/rent controlled tenants (or whatever's left of them) below 59th and NYC is a White bubble.

I'm White and have friends who live in Manhattan and to them minorities (i.e. Black and Hispanic) are people who work in the stores that they patronize. Do they have a few Black and Hispanic friends here and there? Yes but that's basically the extent of their dealings with minorities. Is it sad? Of course it is, but it's also the reality.

Manhattan is a White bubble in a "multicultural" city if there ever was one.
The same thing goes for Park Slope, Dumbo, Brooklyn Heights , etc.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:28 PM

14,780 posts, read 17,404,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
When you have to claim that 3% is statistically significant in what we are discussing then you know you're fighting a losing battle.

Three out of every 100 residents is Black and that's supposed to sway the neighborhood? As others have pointed out, take out the PJ's/rent controlled tenants (or whatever's left of them) below 59th and NYC is a White bubble.

I'm White and have friends who live in Manhattan and to them minorities (i.e. Black and Hispanic) are people who work in the stores that they patronize. Do they have a few Black and Hispanic friends here and there? Yes but that's basically the extent of their dealings with minorities. Is it sad? Of course it is, but it's also the reality.

I have to say that this is very true to a certain degree based on my observation as well. In the social climate they rarely deal with blacks or Hispanics. They only time tourists, suburban white transplants deal with minorities is establishments that provide a service. Nothing wrong with it, but its just reality at best. Manhattan these days is nothing more than Eurotrash/suburban cul de sac bubble these days.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:49 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,280,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I have to say that this is very true to a certain degree based on my observation as well. In the social climate they rarely deal with blacks or Hispanics. They only time tourists, suburban white transplants deal with minorities is establishments that provide a service. Nothing wrong with it, but its just reality at best. Manhattan these days is nothing more than Eurotrash/suburban cul de sac bubble these days.
Their lives simply do not involve many minorities.

First and foremost (going to the original premise of this thread), the neighborhoods in which they live do not have many minorities.

Their industries and professions do not employ many minorities in comparable positions. Sure the maintenance staff may be Hispanic but do they interact with them any more than saying Good Morning and Good Night?

Their kids do not go to schools with many minorities. Hence, few minority parents at school functions/PTA meetings.

They simply don't have to deal with many minorities (I'm not counting Asians/Indians) on a day to day basis.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:02 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Is it the case that you have no idea what this thread is about ?

Hint: It's not about tourists or people "diversifying" an area because they work there and appear for the moment.
Yes I know what the thread is about because I made it, I wasn't claiming that a lot of minorities lived in Lower Manhattan (although there are probably plenty of diverse areas in Lower Manhattan), I just said that you would totally see minorities in Lower Manhattan and not just retail workers
Quote:
I think this thread is full of unattractive people with poor social skills. Minorities are very active participants of the life of lower Manhattan. Do you ever go to social places like restaurants, bars, etc? The gyms, stores, etc?

Living in a neighborhood does not restrict your social life to said neighborhood. Anyone who can afford lower Manhattan can live there if they want to. It isn't segregation!
Yeah I frequent the East Village and Greenwich Village, the crowd there is very diverse and the resident are as well in the former

Old 09-27-2015, 05:08 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
Quote:
None of those neighborhoods were entirely of a certain group. NYC is segregated by socioeconomic a not a race. A white person on welfare will have to move the Bronx. A Hispanic person with enough money can buy in Midtown.

Person making 50k or so will have to consider neighborhoods like Jackson Heights or Bedstuy regardless of race because that is where they can afford to live.
I totally agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Even if it were only PJs, they still live in that neighborhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
LOL, you know a place is segregated when even Long Island is more diverse than you!
Well that poster said that Valley Stream is the closest to having the demographic percentages of the entire United States, that does not mean it's more diverse than a given place in NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

It's not 1970 anymore, there are plenty of Black and Hispanic people in jobs higher level than retail (but if you're talking about things like high level corporate positions, then that's not a good example because most white people don't even have jobs like that)

But one would have to be fairly well off to live in most of Lower Manhattan, regardless of race, which I think is what Nywriterdude is getting at

Besides, the vast majority of NYC's population does not live in Lower Manhattan, so I don't think it's the best example when discussing diversity in NYC

Last edited by l1995; 09-27-2015 at 05:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or