U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 06:24 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,842,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yes I know what the thread is about because I made it, I wasn't claiming that a lot of minorities lived in Lower Manhattan (although there are probably plenty of diverse areas in Lower Manhattan), I just said that you would totally see minorities in Lower Manhattan and not just retail workers
Basically, there are no diverse areas in lower Manhattan.

The projects standing there and a few regulated buildings does not mean diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:

Even if it were only PJs, they still live in that neighborhood
It is interesting to observe that you do not, in fact, have any idea what this thread is about.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:31 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,585,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Basically, there are no diverse areas in lower Manhattan.

The projects standing there and a few regulated buildings does not mean diversity.
Like I said, I wasn't claiming Lower Manhattan was diverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
It is interesting to observe that you do not, in fact, have any idea what this thread is about.
I actually do, but since you feel the need to be condescending, at least explain what you don't think I understand.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:00 PM

18,328 posts, read 11,728,262 times
As one has stated much of this segregation at least in the new "hot" areas of NYC is more economic than racial.

Am down by Ludlow Street/LES all the time and you see blacks, Asians, and others mixed in with the whites living down there (yes there are African American Bros and Bro-Hoes, not a lot but still...) but they obviously can afford to live down there and or run with that pack.

OTOH certain other areas of NYC in particular parts of Manhattan things are different; the racial discrimination is insidious.

Case in point a gay white friend of mine and his black husband got a taste of what straight interracial couples in NYC have long known; certain buildings are happy to have the white half of the marriage, but the black... well that is another story.

They were looking to buy at places ranging from the West Village to UES and more than a few places things were fine when the white person made contact, but when his husband showed up the tone changed. Eventually they got fed up and settled somewhere in the Bronx.

Only the ignorant "Archie Bunker" outright racists get caught with this sort of behavior. The better educated (often prep school/Ivy League) know what they are doing. They also can afford to retain attorneys who will tell them what can and cannot be done legally.

One of the biggest tricks in that bag is for a landlord, condo or co-op board never to meet in person with such and such applicants. If they have never clapped eyes upon you then it is hard to prove discrimination. No one can prove a co-op board for instance is aware of someone's race (though they usually are and or can find out). The fact co-ops do not have to give a reason for rejection of any applicant also makes it difficult to prove discrimination.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
As one has stated much of this segregation at least in the new "hot" areas of NYC is more economic than racial.

Am down by Ludlow Street/LES all the time and you see blacks, Asians, and others mixed in with the whites living down there (yes there are African American Bros and Bro-Hoes, not a lot but still...) but they obviously can afford to live down there and or run with that pack.

For many, the economic is racial.

Second, "not a lot but still" does not equal diversity.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:07 PM

If NYC is not diverse, then what major US city is?

Old 09-27-2015, 08:15 PM

2,594 posts, read 3,381,688 times
Quote:
If NYC is not diverse, then what major US city is?
The city as a whole may be diverse, but it's still quite segregated. I don't know the answer to your question but am interested in hearing what other people think.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:16 PM

It's also worth pointing out that South Asians are counted as Asian on the Census and Middle Eastern and North African people are counted as white on the census. So if a neighborhood is say, 35% white, 25% Hispanic, 25% Asian, and 15% black, it would likely be even more diverse than you would think just by looking at the numbers.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
The city as a whole may be diverse, but it's still quite segregated. I don't know the answer to your question but am interested in hearing what other people think.
I personally don't consider the city to be segregated although some large swaths of it are

Old 09-27-2015, 08:32 PM

2,594 posts, read 3,381,688 times
Quote:
I personally don't consider the city to be segregated although some large swaths of it are
It's generally accepted that NYC schools are segregated.

The Nation's Most Segregated Schools Aren't Where You'd Think They'd Be

Why are the schools so segregated if the city itself isn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or