Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 08:04 AM

481 posts, read 427,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Part of me kinda wants to sympathize with him but his sentiment of having "settled" the neighborhood is all kinds of wrong and racist as hell. The irony.
I could be wrong, but I think the irony is deliberate. He might not even necessarily mean that he settled it as a white pioneer, but rather that he actually invested in the neighbourhood - as in purchased his place in Fort Greene and cared about the place like anyone who has roots there would - before people like them would ever consider stepping foot in it.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:19 AM

481 posts, read 427,314 times
Also...is it really racist to say that to them? How many people like them would be comfortable settling in a middle class black neighbourhood ? Would they move to Ft Green if they didn't see white faces around already?

He acknowledges what he suspects is his own white privilege just being able to survive when other friends couldn't. But he also gets pretty deep into the psychology of well-off white transplants, as he sees it.

I find it facsinating.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:48 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Its hilarious when people threaten to beat others up but end up really doing absolutely nothing except create noise pollution. Tough guy made it look like there were 3 invisible hands holding him back. I bump people with my baby stroller all the time. Its entertaining annoying people with short fuses.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:50 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
Also...is it really racist to say that to them? How many people like them would be comfortable settling in a middle class black neighbourhood ? Would they move to Ft Green if they didn't see white faces around already?

He acknowledges what he suspects is his own white privilege just being able to survive when other friends couldn't. But he also gets pretty deep into the psychology of well-off white transplants, as he sees it.

I find it facsinating.
It's different layers of racism. It's interesting indeed.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:54 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Two groups of idiots. The woman should have apologized for hitting him with the stroller. The guy certainly went off the rails for an accident.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:45 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Two groups of idiots. The woman should have apologized for hitting him with the stroller. The guy certainly went off the rails for an accident.
To be fair, the woman did initiate both situations. She first bumped into him while talking on the phone deliberately ignoring what she did (that would be enough to **** anyone off). Then, after he simply said "excuse me" which you couldn't even here on the video, she goes and screams "F you, F off" before he could get a word in. I agree the guy went a little overboard, but it wasn't without merit. I would have handled it differently, but I would've definitely put these two in their place. The guy who defended his woman is a pansy. He should've realized the situation and not try to act like a tough guy when his wife was 100% in the wrong. What that tells his wife is that she could do practically whatever she wants to someone and he'll go act like a tough macho idiot to defend her...

Old 09-25-2015, 11:31 AM

269 posts, read 287,656 times
The guy who went off said the husband threatened him first & came at him like he wanted to fight and that's why he started screaming like that. Plus the woman hit his leg so hard there was blood and he posted a picture of the wound he got from her stroller on his leg. The lady should've apologized.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:25 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Gotta be careful with picking fights in public, some situations are not worth fighting about because in front of the public it may prove you're the d-bag.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:28 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
I see people with strollers banging into people all the time without so much as an I'm sorry. The worst of it is on the trains where you are SUPPOSED TO CLOSE THE STROLLER BUT NO ONE DOES. Last week one couple was shoving people into the train with their stroller. A woman and I talked out loud about how these transplants need to learn manners and how the stroller is supposed to be closed. I got the death stare from the mother but she said nothing.

This guy was completely right with his entire rant posted above. It takes a lot to upset me, but I likely would have gone off on them also.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:58 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Its hilarious when people threaten to beat others up but end up really doing absolutely nothing except create noise pollution. Tough guy made it look like there were 3 invisible hands holding him back. I bump people with my baby stroller all the time. Its entertaining annoying people with short fuses.
Then you're part of the problem. One day you're going to bump the wrong person and I for one will not feel sorry for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City