U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 07:34 AM

18,242 posts, read 11,653,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
There's a Gristedes in Murray Hill at 3rd & 32nd, and another one in Kips Bay at 2nd and 29th, but I know what you mean. I live near where the Met at 17th St was and although I didn't go near the deli and meat sections, I miss the prices of their basics. I don't care for the Food Emporium in Union Square.
As one noted elsewhere either in this thread or on the same subject at least those "basics" are now found at places like Duane Read, Walgreens, Rite Aid and so forth. Worse for the established NYC supermarkets at much lower prices. Milk at either the Duane Reade or Rite Aide near us is always cheaper than even the sale prices at any of the big supermarkets in area. Tide and other P&G detergents seems always to be on sale at Rite Aide and again cheaper than the "sale" price at local supermarkets.

Long story short those old school NYC supermarkets have too high labor costs along with prices and just cannot compete against Whole Foods and the other recent arrivals. Before you go there numerous consumer reports/articles found Whole Foods at least was often much *cheaper* in NYC than the established supermarkets.

DAG and Food Emporium were famous for charging very high prices for questionable value. But again when you are the only supermarket within a few Manhattan block radius people often just suck it up.

Have also said this before but many Manhattan residents past and present who have access to motor vehicles do a bulk of their grocery shopping outside of Manhattan. Prices, selection, quality, etc... all are often much better in NJ, Westchester, LI and CT.

As one has often said cannot understand how Gristedes remains in business. Their stores are often filthy with shelves full of expired stock. Their packaged meats have a whiff about them and or otherwise do not look very wholesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 09:24 AM

791 posts, read 1,210,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
As one has often said cannot understand how Gristedes remains in business. Their stores are often filthy with shelves full of expired stock. Their packaged meats have a whiff about them and or otherwise do not look very wholesome.
No kidding. Also, they charge $1.69 for the exact same quart of milk they sell at Fairway (great store) for $1.39.

Whoever said that they didn't like the Food Emporium on 14th is spot on. I once waited at the deli counter for a good 10 minutes while two ninnies tried to figure out how to make a sandwich. It a bit of a trek, but the New Yorker market on Second at 7th is very well run. Great selection of prepared foods for us single folk. Try the antipasta salad.

I'm also fond of Morton Williams. The one at 23rd and Second is excellent. Try the bread, it's baked right there and is super fresh. Real French bread, too, not like most of the crap they sell.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:30 AM

5,680 posts, read 5,154,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Hipsters have been priced out of Williamsburg.

The original hipsters were kids who came to the city to be so called artists. These people cannot afford Williamsburg. You would need a real professional job for that.
Ok then the fake hipsters. Whomever is on the L train and makes you wish you liked in Kananas with "that1guy" as soon as you get of the Bedford stop as its mad crazy full of skinny jeans, flannels, hat, and glasses wearing young kids. What at those people called? Those are the people living off mommee and daddies money thinking its cool to pretend to be poor and don't shop at major chain as they are all about ma and pa places.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:40 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,825,057 times
Quote:

The original hipsters were kids who came to the city to be so called artists.
And you say this based on ...

Because I have actually lived here for my life. And "Hipster" was always a basically derogatory term having nothing to do with being an artist - except, perhaps, as posture.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Ok then the fake hipsters.
No ... you were right.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:56 PM

23,248 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Ok then the fake hipsters. Whomever is on the L train and makes you wish you liked in Kananas with "that1guy" as soon as you get of the Bedford stop as its mad crazy full of skinny jeans, flannels, hat, and glasses wearing young kids. What at those people called? Those are the people living off mommee and daddies money thinking its cool to pretend to be poor and don't shop at major chain as they are all about ma and pa places.
You don't get a good place in NYC and that includes Williamsburg unless you have good credit and a good job. This includes Williamsburg. Look at all the new condo buildings. They are inhabited by people who can afford to pay for them. If you want to live there work for it and stop hating on others.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
If you want to live there work for it and stop hating on others.
Crazy.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:52 PM

23,248 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Crazy.
Not even. He is clearly jealous of well to do people in Williamsburg. So he if wants what they have he is going to have to work for it.

And though financial support from parents helps, those professionals didn't get where they are just because of their parents. They did well in school, got undergraduate degrees, and even got graduate degrees. No matter who paid for it this is serious work.

So again instead of hating on other people WORK to move UP SOCIOECONOMICALLY.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
You don't get a good place in NYC and that includes Williamsburg unless you have good credit and a good job. This includes Williamsburg. Look at all the new condo buildings. They are inhabited by people who can afford to pay for them. If you want to live there work for it and stop hating on others.
Wait WHAT? I hate Williamsburg, I never would want to live there even if I got to live their for free.
So please don't tell me I'm hating on others cause I want to live there. How you came up with this is anybodies guess.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Not even. He is clearly jealous of well to do people in Williamsburg. So he if wants what they have he is going to have to work for it.

And though financial support from parents helps, those professionals didn't get where they are just because of their parents. They did well in school, got undergraduate degrees, and even got graduate degrees. No matter who paid for it this is serious work.

So again instead of hating on other people WORK to move UP SOCIOECONOMICALLY.
Oh now that all makes scenes....Mommee and Daddee helped you and put you through school, now you are a hard working boy and can pay for a place all by yourself in Williamsburg. Good for you. I'm glad you like it there, I sure as hell don't.
And by the way I have worked myself up the social ladder, I'm college educated which I put myself through working 56+ hours a week, paying for my own apartment and attending school full time. Now thats some series work!
Oh and you said "you have good credit and a good job"
My credit is excellent 800+, I have had leases in my name for over 20 years, a job I actually enjoy and things I can do to help others and the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City