U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 04:15 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,874,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not even. He is clearly jealous of well to do people in Williamsburg. So he if wants what they have he is going to have to work for it.

And though financial support from parents helps, those professionals didn't get where they are just because of their parents. They did well in school, got undergraduate degrees, and even got graduate degrees. No matter who paid for it this is serious work.

So again instead of hating on other people WORK to move UP SOCIOECONOMICALLY.
"He" is ! Wow. What amazing insight you have.

And I had no idea, none whatsoever, that obtaining degrees was "serious work." Of course, this is a goal for everyone. Nothing else exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 04:16 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,564,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
*Wrong*
Associated purchased the DAG location at 53rd and First so there is that option. True it is Sutton Place and not Kip's Bay but there you are then....
Well, thanks, despite your pugnacious "Wrong" - I used to pass that way often, but not so much lately, so I doubt that's been around forever. Still, even 14th to 53rd is a long way with nothing less expensive.

And, Gramercy, I hope you're not operating under the delusion that Gristede qualifies as less expensive.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:48 PM

458 posts, read 399,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Well, thanks, despite your pugnacious "Wrong" - I used to pass that way often, but not so much lately, so I doubt that's been around forever. Still, even 14th to 53rd is a long way with nothing less expensive.

And, Gramercy, I hope you're not operating under the delusion that Gristede qualifies as less expensive.
No, not at all, though they have sales on basics as another poster mentioned the area was lacking. I always found them cheaper at the Met that used to be near me. Another poster mentioned basics being cheapest at drug stores and I have to agree. I always buy cereal from CVS and Walgreens has great sales on condiments. I always stock up when they have maple syrup on sale. You can't beat the prices there.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:31 PM

18,454 posts, read 11,856,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

Ok, the *wrong* was a bit out of line. Take it back.

No, the purchase of DAG by Associated has not been long, just within the past month or so. If you believe the rumors DAG isn't long for this world and soon will be gone, they just cannot compete. At least this is the word coming from workers at the 80th and York store. This is probably the reason why Associated was able to purchase the 53rd Street store in Sutton Place.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:39 PM

18,454 posts, read 11,856,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
No, not at all, though they have sales on basics as another poster mentioned the area was lacking. I always found them cheaper at the Met that used to be near me. Another poster mentioned basics being cheapest at drug stores and I have to agree. I always buy cereal from CVS and Walgreens has great sales on condiments. I always stock up when they have maple syrup on sale. You can't beat the prices there.
From someone who recalls when Duane Reade stores were mainly downtown (Wall Street area) so you had to purchase things while at work then schelp them home, the change and expansion has been dramatic.

Local Duane Reade stores (they are all over the UES) have "grocery" sections that rival larger supermarkets. Ditto Rite Aide. In fact our local Rite Aide sells out of milk both regular and organic from nearly every delivery. Local supermarkets throw/flush quite a lot of the stuff that has reached its sell by date.

Again when you look at how much inventory these store 24's can and do move at their lower price points you understand why so many old school NYC supermarkets just cannot compete. Main thing is labor costs. While so many NYC supermarkets are union do not think one of the Duane Reade sort of stores are.

Didn't know it but was told back in the day places like A&P actually had butcher trainee programs that allowed persons to learn that trade and move up in the company. Grew up with kids on the Rock whose fathers worked for places like A&P or Pathmark and they didn't seem to want for much.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:35 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,874,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
From someone who recalls when Duane Reade stores were mainly downtown (Wall Street area) so you had to purchase things while at work then schelp them home, the change and expansion has been dramatic.

I remember. One on Duane, one on Reade.

Funny that I had forgotten about them until you mentioned it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City